BDL Discussion Thread 2024

BDL POST FREE AGENCY POSITIONAL RANKINGS

Franchise Cornerstone- an elite player who is the focus of your gameplans and the focus of your opponent to stop. (worth 7pts)

Quality Starter- a very good NFL and BDL starter who is just not quite a cornerstone (worth 4pts)

Competitive Starter- a good NFL starter but a functional BDL starter. Someone ideally who is a bench or rotational player for you. This is a good player that might be flawed enough to get exposed against the right gameplan (worth 2pts)

Quality Depth- this will be the biggest and broadest category. An NFL starter or rotational player that is best served as a BDL backup or bench player. They are good enough (or have enough potential) to be an injury fill in but you might be in trouble if you are relying of them to start weekly (worth 1pt)

Replaceable Player- a player that has shown very limited or no functional use in BDL so far in their career or their days of BDL usefulness are behind them.Also for players currently not on an NFL roster (worth 0 points)

Incomplete Evaluation- reserved for rookies or 2nd year players that do not have enough NFL tape to properly put in any category (worth 0 points) 

QB (EDIT: adjusted with + ratings)

1. Cancun

Franchise Cornerstone:Patrick Mahomes+

Replacement Level: Tyler Bagent, Malik Cunningham 

Total Points: 8pts

Patty Mc is the best QB in the league but Cancun received no points for their replacement level players behind him a halfway decent backup in the tank would easily put them in the #1 spot.

1. Anchorage

Franchise Cornerstone:Joe Burrow

Quality Depth: Aidan O’Connell 

A franchise cornerstone is Burrow backed up by a Quality Depth player in Aidan O’Connell puts them in the top spot by this metric even though as an individual exercise I’d rank Burrow lower than Mahomes, Allen and Lamar

1. New Orleans

Franchise Cornerstone: Josh Allen

Total Points: 7pts

I’d rate Allen as QB 2 in the NFL/BDL, so a viable backup in the tank would move them to the #2 spot

1. Las Vegas

Franchise Cornerstone: Lamar Jackson

Replacement Level: Trey Lance 

The reigning NFL MVP gives them a cornerstone to lead the room. Lance is an interesting longterm piece but he has shown nothing in the NFL to rank above Replacement Level.

1. Lancaster

Franchise Cornerstone: Jalen Hurts 

Hurts is a cornerstone but I would put him below all the QB’s above him. Unless Lancaster gets a great backup in the tank, I wouldn’t see Lancaster moving up the list.

1. Rome

Franchise Cornerstone: Justin Herbert

Incomplete Evaluation: Hendon Hooker

Total Points 7pts

The debate between Hurts and Herbert is a close one, I’d take the overall playmaking ability of Hurts over pure passing of Herbert for BDL game planning purposes.

1. Akureyri

Quality Starter: Jordan Love+

Competitive Starter: Anthony Richardson 

This is a group that could shoot up the ranking. If both Love and Richardson give us the quality of play they showed last year in a larger sample size, I could see both Love and Richardson moving up a tier by halfway through the season.

1. Raleigh

Quality Starter: Matthew Stafford

Quality Depth: Russell Wilson, Justin Fields, Bryce Young

Incomplete Evaluation: Michael Penix Jr 

So the first ranking that might be truly affected by the scoring. I’d rate Stafford by himself under several of the other starters here, but having 3 quality depth players behind him puts Raleigh above some of the other teams in this scoring system. I would expect as other teams add backups in the tank that my team will go further down the list.

1. Cuba

Quality Starter: Trevor Lawerence+

Quality Depth: Mac Jones 

Total Points: 6pts

Everyone’s favorite yelling point of Trevor comes in at this spot with a Quality Starter rating. I’d still take Trevor over Brock and Goff who’s QB rooms come in tied with Cuba. Mac has shown he can play in the NFL in stretches so he gives Cuba a point as a Quality Depth player.

1. Berlin

Quality Starter: CJ Stroud +

Total Points: 5pts

I decided to rank all breakout rookies going into their 2nd year as Quality Starters. I think it is fair to at least let them show some consistency in their 2nd year before anointing them a Cornerstone. Adding a decent backup and Stroud keeping up the momentum of his rookie year, could rocket this group to the top 3-5 easily.

1. Ivory Coast

Quality Starter: Brock Purdy

Quality Depth: Sam Howell

Incomplete Evaluation: Bo Nix

I would consider myself a bit of a Purdy denier. I think he ends up having a Kirk Cousins-like ceiling than some of the loftier comparisons he gets occasionally. A more viable tank backup could put IC over some of the other teams above them.

1. Hungary

Quality Starter: Jared Goff

Quality Depth: Will Levis

Replacement Level: Dorian Thompson Robinson

I would put Goff comfortably at the bottom of this tier. Will Levis is a very intriguing backup that could push this ranking in either direction depending on how his season plays out. Given the info we have on him, I can’t rank Levis higher than Quality Depth.

1. Svalbard

Quality Starter: Dak Prescott

Replacement Level: Desmond Ridder, Bailey Zappe 

Total Points: 4pts

Dak is a major upgrade for Svalbard, but there is no viable player behind him. This is as far up as I can rank Svalbard on the heels of Dak alone.

1. Quebec

Quality Starter: Tua Tagovailoa 

Tua is another controversial QB topic. With no backup to rate, Tua on his own can’t be ranked above Stroud or Dak.

1. Greenland

Quality Depth: Kenny Pickett

Incomplete Evaluation: Caleb Williams, JJ McCarthy

Replacement Level:Kyle Trask

Total Points: 1pt

All rookies get an Incomplete Evaluation and 0 points because they have not played an NFL snap, so once Greenland’s 2 1st round rookies get on the field, this group can be much higher. The only point earned comes from a viable NFL backup in Kenny Pickett

1. CWM

Incomplete Evaluation: Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels, Clayton Tune 

Total Points: 0pts

No player on CWM’s roster has enough NFL sample size to earn them any points, so here they are at the bottom of the heap.

Next up: RB 

• Like 9

Spending a roster spot on a guy who retired nine days ago is definitely a choice.

Guess it won't matter if/when he stays retired, but still very odd.

Edited by Blue

BDL POST FREE AGENCY POSITIONAL RANKINGS

RB (EDIT adjusted with + ratings)

1. Cancun

Franchise Cornerstone: Jonathan Taylor

Quality Starter: Aaron Jones

Competitive Starter:Rhomondre Stevenson+

Incomplete Evaluation: Jonathan Brooks, Israel Abanikanda, Amari Demarcado, Kimandi Vidal 

Replacement Level Player: Zandar Hovarth

Total Points: 14pts

Cancun has thrown a lot of resources to get a strong running game to compliment Mahomes and they find themselves with a deep group with a top end talent.

1. New Orleans

Franchise Cornerstone: Derrick Henry 

Quality Starter: Josh Jacobs

Total Points: 11pts

King Henry is a cornerstone until proven otherwise. Jacobs has had such a funky arc to his career but he is only 2 years removed from being the NFL rushing leader, so Quality starter seemed like a fair place to put him.

1. Cuba

Quality Starter: Travis Eteinne

Competitive Starter: Gus Edwards, Kyle Juszcyk+

Quality Depth: Samaje Perine, Zach Charbonnet

Total Points: 11pts

I’m surprised this group ended up so high without a superstar at the position. It’s got nice depth, but certainly question marks all around. Kyle Juszcyk was a very difficult player to categorize because he really is a different position…..

1. Raleigh

Franchise Cornerstone: Christian McCaffrey+

Competitive Starter: Zack Moss 

Quality Depth: Keaton Mitchell

Replacement Level: Kareem Hunt

Total Points: 10pts

McCaffrey is carrying this group, but a decent starter with Moss adds enough depth to keep them in this spot. 

1. Greenland

Franchise Cornerstone: Saquon Barkley

Competitive Starter: James Conner+ 

Incomplete Evaluation: Trey Benson, Braelon Allen

A similar structure to Raleigh but McCaffrey is the better player than Saquon, so I bumped them ahead.

1. Lancaster

Quality Starter: Jahmyr Gibbs+, David Montgomery

Quality Depth: Tyler Allgeier

Incomplete Evaluation: Audric Estime

Gibbs showed flashes of ending up as a Franchise Cornerstone next year, but hard to put him in that tier yet. In my evaluation, I’d personally weigh a cornerstone higher than 2 Quality Starters, so that is why I have Lancaster behind Raleigh and Greenland.

1. Ivory Coast

Quality Starter: Nick Chubb, Alvin Kamara 

Quality Depth: Antonio Gibson, Zeke Elliott,

Two really good players with two massive question marks at the top. We could see quickly into the year that both Cubb and Kamara belong in the tier above or below

1. Berlin

Quality Starter:, Isaiah Pacheco,

Competitive Starter: Tony Pollard,  Davon Achane+  

Total Points: 9pts

Time to trigger Rags for the 2nd time.  Berlin has two of the harder players here to put in the category in Achane and Pollard. It’s hard to put Achane higher given how limited his sample size is, even though I think he is a more valuable BDL asset then he is being given credit for in this ranking.

1. Rome

Quality Starter:D’Andre Swift

Competitive Starters Najee Harris

Quality Depth: Jerome Ford, Chase Brown, JK Dobbins, 

Incomplete Evaluation: Marshon Lloyd 

Swift is an interesting evaluation. I ended up on Quality Starter but it will be interesting to see if he is the same on the Bears this year. There is a pretty deep group of decent players that can fill in but I feel like this group has more potential to tumble down this list than rise up it.

1. Anchorage

Quality Starter: Breece Hall+

Quality Depth: Tajae Spears, Roshon Johnson, Kendre Miller, Deuce Vaughn

Another group that feels bad to be this low. I kept going back and forth on whether to consider Breece Quality Starter or Cornerstone, but I decided that I needed a bit more of a sample size to declare him a cornerstone. Spears and Miller could easily move up a tier too if they get opportunity. This time next year, I’d expect this group to be much higher.

1. Quebec

Competitive Starter:  Devin Singletary, Joe Mixon

Quality Depth: D’Onta Foreman, Khalil Herbert, Jaleel McLaughlin, Chuba Hubbard, Chris Rodriquez

Incomplete Evaluation: Tyrone Tracy, Dylan Laube, 

Replacement Level: Pierre Strong, Zach Evans

If I was building this list without the point system, Quebec would be further down. They are benefiting from just having a million friggin running backs. Singletary and Mixon are fine but limited ceilings.

1. Svalbard

Quality Starter: Kyren Williams

Competitive Starter: James Cook+

Quality Depth: AJ Dillion

Incomplete Evaluation: Ray Davis

I really like this group more than their ranking suggests. Cook is a really hard one to place. I think he is squarely in the middle of Competitive Starter and Quality Starter. Another depth piece in the tank could bump them up a few spots for sure.

1. CWM

Quality Starter: Bijian Robinson+

Quality Depth: Ty Chandler, Tank Bigsby

Incomplete Evaluation: Issac Guerendo

Replacement Level: Caleb Huntley

Total Points: 7 pts

Bijian is on his way to being in the Cornerstone, but can’t put him there quite yet. Ty Chandler is a sneaky good player but overall nothing behind Bijian that can raise them higher than this.

1. Hungary

Competitive Starter: Rashaad White, Raheem Mostart+

Quality Depth: Austin Ekeler, Brian Robinson

Incomplete Evaluation: Blake Corum

Replacement Level: Evan Hull, Eric Gray

Total Points: 7 pts

What an interesting collection of players….lol. I think Hungary will cobble their way to a decent running game, but there is just nobody that strikes fear in me to defend when I sit down to write a game plan.

1. Akureyri

Competitive Starter: Kenneth Walker+

Quality Depth: Javonte Williams, Damien Pierce

Incomplete Evaluation: Bucky Irving 

I really like Walker but I just can’t put him higher than this with the given information. Javonte and Damien are so wildly hard to rate at this point, but I think we’ve seen the best of them already.

1. Las Vegas

Competitive Starter: Jaylen Warren, Zamir White 

Incomplete Evaluation: Jaylen Wright 

Replacement Level: Hassan Haskins

They certainly have…..players here. Warren has some nice upside. Zamir will get some run as the starter but I don’t know if he is anything more than just volume which won’t be all that helpful in BDL

NEXT UP WR

• Like 5

I think next year adding an option to do like a Competitive Starter + rating or a Quality Starter + rating to give a little boost to players that are edges of categories to help differentiate a bit. 

Edit: I'm going to go back and add

Franchise Cornerstone+ 8pts for the best player in the league at his position

Quality Starter+ 5pts - almost a cornerstone but need a little more

Competitive Starter+ 3pts-not quite in the tier of Quality Starter but very close

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MD4L said:

@Blue surprised you invested so heavily into RB.

Both of my top 2 backs coming into this offseason are on expiring contracts and the rookie I drafted is coming off an ACL tear in one of the league's worst offenses.