BDL Discussion Thread 2024

Week 3 Free Agency Additions

INT John Franklin-Meyers - Glad to finally bring back JFM to the fold. He played for us in 2018-2020 but was traded in 2020 to land Hasson Reddick, which worked out well. He's been solid the last several years and when I saw he was traded to the Broncos and dropped his price, I was all in. He'll be a backup for Heyward this year but may claim a starting spot after this season if things go the way I envision.

LB Zack Baun - Been hearing good things out of Philly about him and looking forward to seeing how he performs in a Fangio defense. I needed a backup LB and again this price was very affordable. Offers some pass rush in the middle. I am one of the minimalist LB owners in the league so only look to have a few on the roster.

The Safety Position

I stripped this position to the bone before FA as going the cheap route last year was ineffective. I had the cap space to seriously invest for the future. Jabrill Peppers had his breakout year last year replacing Devin McCourty. So it was time to build on that. Sydney Brown's injury likely means he may not start early on this year.

S Kam Curl - Primarily a Strong Safety but can cover TE's (which I need in my Division), makes tackles and can cover deep. Love his energy and spot on the youngry Rams. The safety market was horrible this offseason for actual NFL players. Thus why so many vets are still unsigned. I took advantage of that this FA to add guys on the rise that will likely sign bigger contracts in a year or two.

S Juanyeh Thomas - Who dis? The Answer is one of the starting Safeties for the Cowboys either this year or in the future. Donovan Wilson and M. Bell are Dan Quinn holdovers on the roster. Zimmer's defense will not be in Single High Safety ever and the starting gigs are up for grabs. Thomas has been getting offseason buzz and played well in his reps last season. Harrison Smith 2.0.

S Alohi Gilman - Derwin James' partner in crime. Had 2 INT and 3 FF last year and that was enough to get him resigned to Harbaugh's team this season and beyond. Probably my Money player this year while the younger guys come on and get more experience. 

S Quentin Lake - You'll see him listed as a NB on depth charts and that's because he played the STAR for the Ram's last year. He's poised to take over the starting S spot next to Curl this season. I like his versatility and multi-position options going forward. But that can be said of most of my players. Son of former Steeler All-Pro great Carnell Lake.

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 2

Berlin FA Round Up

DaVon Hamilton INT - With limited cap, we knew we couldn't do much in FA.  With Hinish and Ika unlikely to make an NFL roster and Mazi being a bust, a viable 3rd DT behind Quinnen and Derrick was our biggest need.

DaVon seems to be back to his 2022 self after injury struggles in 2023.  Underrated in 2022, we were very happy to get him at the lowest price possible.

• Like 3

Fairly Buzzed Weekend BDL Rankings

TE

1. Akureyri

Franchise Cornerstone: Travis Kelce+

Quality Starter: Tre McBride

Competitive Starter: Pat Freiermuth

Incomplete Evaluation: Ja’Tavion Sanders

Total Points: 14pts

Whatever magic touch RG has on TE’s, he should start applying it to the rest of the roster…..

1. Svalbard

Quality Starter: Sam LaPorta+

Competitive Starter: Dalton Schultz+

Quality Depth: Connor Heyward, Davis Allen

Replacement Level: Irv Smith Jr

Total Points: 10pts

The combination of Schultz and LaPorta is a great duo even without anything of note behind them.

1. CWM

Franchise Cornerstone: George Kittle

Quality Depth: Kyle Granson, Logan Thomas, Mike Geisiki 

Total Points: 10pts

George Kittle is still a Cornerstone tight end and carries a group of has-beens and also rans behind him

1. Rome

Quality Starter: Dalton Kincaid

Competitive Starter: Luke Musgrave+ 

Quality Depth: Cade Otten

Total Points: 8pts

Rome looks like they hit on not one but two TE’s in last year’s draft meaning they should be hanging around the top of this group for a long time

1. Anchorage

Quality Starter: David Njoku+

Quality Depth: Greg Dulcich, Tommy Tremble

Incomplete Evaluation: Brock Bowers,Ben Sinnott

Replacement Level: Cole Turner 

Total Points: 7pts

Njoku had that rare year 6 breakout and a couple of young players who flashed behind him. If Bowers can deliver on his draft promise, I could see this group towards the top of the heap next year.

1. Hungary

Quality Starter: TJ Hockenson+

Quality Depth: Zach Ertz, Daniel Bellinger

Incomplete Evaluation: Zach Kuntz

Total Points:  7pts

If Hockenson was healthy, he would be at cornerstone status and move this group up a couple spots. But without Hock for a good chunk of the year, this could be a room in trouble.

1. Raleigh

Franchise Cornerstone: Mark Andrews 

Total Points: 7pts

Andrews on his own puts Raleigh in the middle of the back even without anything behind him.

1. Ivory Coast

Quality Starter: Evan Engram+

Quality Depth: Hayden Hurst

Incomplete Evaluation: Brenton Strange

Total Points: 6pts

Engram is a pretty good BDL starter at TE and Hayden Hurst is still….well….there

1. Greenland

Competitive Starter: Cole Kmet+, Jonnu Smith 

Incomplete Evaluation: Tip Reinman

Total Points: 5pts

Kmet started to break out last year but was still pretty inconsistent, so I struggle to put him in the quality starter yet, even if he pretty close. Jonnu Smith is a really strong TE #2

1. Berlin

Quality Starter: Dallas Goedert

Incomplete Evaluation: Darnell Washington, Theo Johnson 

Total Points: 4pts

Goedart has struggled with consistency and health keeping him in Quality Starter status and there is nobody with a body of NFL work to consider behind him.

1. New Orleans

Competitive Starter: Jake Ferguson+

Quality Depth: Luke Schoonmaker 

Total Points: 4pts

Ferguson is a fairly formidable BDL starter but nothing that overly scares you.

1. Lancaster

Competitive Starter: Chig Okonkwo

Quality Depth:Tucker Kraft

Total Points: 3pts

Lancaster has two players that are young with upside but have not shown enough consistently to raise them higher than this.

1. Quebec

Competitive Starter: Kyle Pitts+

Pitts has not delivered on his draft promise yet to put a room with him alone any higher than this.

1. Cancun

Competitive Starter: Michael Mayer

Quality Depth: Foster Moreau

Incomplete Evaluation: Josh Whyle, Jakim Bell 

Replacement Level: Charlie Kolar

I look forward to whatever passive aggressive Blue post that I won’t be quoted or tagged in as a result of this ranking.

1. Las Vegas

Competitive Starter: Isaiah Likely

Total Points: 2pts

It was always Likely that that the Likely backup in Baltimore would result in Likely being at the bottom of this Likely list.

1. Cuba

Quality Depth: Jelani Woods

Total Points: 1pt

He’s just a collection of Jelani Trees

UP NEXT (on Monday): OL

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Blue said:

There is no Jakim Bell on my roster or, as far as I am aware, currently active in the NFL.

Jaheim bell? Rookie te for the pats

Whoops went over my head gnight

Edited by adamq