Where does Michael Penix land in the draft?

3 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

He doesn’t imply he could do better. This is the ridiculous take. Part of being a draft fan is analyzing the play of prospects not put ourselves in their shoes.

Simply put, I don't agree to all of the sudden drop him based off one game when he has been successful the majority of his career. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yeah, because your take doesn't make sense as if you could have done better in those circumstances and you clearly couldn't but you want to get on the keyboard and act like he or anyone else could have done better in those circumstances. It comes off very disingenuous. 

It’s clear you don’t understand the role of a fan evaluating collegiate talent and predicting success at the NFL level.  I, nor anyone on this forum, has ever suggested that the flaws in a prospect were things THEY could do better.  They’re pointing out flaws that they see in the players game that will impact their abilities at the NFL level.  Can Penix be fixed? Im sure with the right coach he can, but the Penix we saw lighting up Texas and Oregon when he had time, wasn’t the same Penix we saw when he felt rushed or pressured. And yes, I do agree that his ribs probably impacted his accuracy, but not his ability to read coverages and rushes. And yes, I agree his RSF Center was outmatched and that losing his RB impacted the way Michigan played him, but the flaws I saw started early and remained throughout the game.  And if he goes to the NFL as a 1st, he’s probably expected to starting next year and unless he finds himself on a team with a great OL already in play, he’s going to have to be ready to read coverages and rushes quickly and accurately and get the ball out in 2-3 seconds every play

8 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Simply put, I don't agree to all of the sudden drop him based off one game when he has been successful the majority of his career. 

In comparison people did this with Hutchinson vs UGA. Failing to take into account how UGA schemed around him with quick passes and opposite runs most of the game. They saw the highlight pancake block of Salyer and that was it. One Game Recency bias can be a hell of an evaluation flaw if you aren’t taking into account the other elements of play/scheme around the prospect. 

4 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

That’s fair - I wish we had gotten a chance to see him play against better defenses than the Pac12 had to offer

2 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

In comparison people did this with Hutchinson vs UGA. Failing to take into account how UGA schemed around him with quick passes and opposite runs most of the game. They saw the highlight pancake block of Salyer and that was it. One Game Recency bias can be a hell of an evaluation flaw if you aren’t taking into account the other elements of play/scheme around the prospect. 

Very true - and I haven’t gone back and rewatched the Indiana games, but it appears he had some good games against Ohio State and some bad games against Iowa and Penn State.  So he’s faced some better defenses in the past and had mixed results it seems.  I’m not, nor was I ever, a huge Indians fan so I won’t pretend like I watched every game of his collegiate career.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yeah, because your take doesn't make sense as if you could have done better in those circumstances and you clearly couldn't but you want to get on the keyboard and act like he or anyone else could have done better in those circumstances. It comes off very disingenuous. 

It may surprise you that most people don’t have MaddHatter as a top QB prospect either.

52 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I don’t know if there’s a sudden drop as much as there is a correction from an inflated stock after the best game of his career.

The Michigan game did show some of the weaknesses that were always there but were hidden by either Washington’s system, the talent around Penix, or simply not being put in that situation. He’s always been a second day prospect.

29 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It may surprise you that most people don’t have MaddHatter as a top QB prospect either.

I don’t know if there’s a sudden drop as much as there is a correction from an inflated stock after the best game of his career.

The Michigan game did show some of the weaknesses that were always there but were hidden by either Washington’s system, the talent around Penix, or simply not being put in that situation. He’s always been a second day prospect.

I can only imagine the thoughts about Stroud post Michigan and Pre Draft

Edited by MSURacerDT55

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I can only imagine the thoughts about Stroud post Michigan and Pre Draft

There's a major difference in Stroud and Penix. Stroud didn't have 4 major injuries nor was he 24-years old by the start of his rookie season. He wasn't a 6 year starter in college and didn't have a weird, quirky throwing motion. I think Penix Jr is a fine talent. I think he can throw the ball quite well but I don't see him as as top-tier first round talent. Even without the game against Michigan I never saw him as a first round talent. Probably mid to late 2nd or early 3rd. I think he's in that tier of QB like Jacoby Brissett, Minshew etc at the next level. 

12 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

So about half way into the 3rd quarter it was 3rd and 8 from the 35, Michigan shows blitz but only brings 4 and dropped into Cover 2 with man outside and LBers in zone.  Wash is in a 302 formation heavy right but they shifted the line right instead of staying true or shifting left.  Michigan didnt get any pressure up the middle, but Penix and the OL didnt account for the rushers off his front side, so he had 2-3 seconds to get the ball off.  He has his TE with a free release up the seam splitting the safeties and behind the linebackers with nobody within 5yards of him for what would be an easy TD but instead he dumps it underneath to his other TE who ran a delayed route after staying in to block who quickly gets tackled short of the first down and they settle for a FG.  That’s just ONE of a dozen plus examples where he missed the read and missed the open man.  There were many more with some as egregious as throwing the ball to the WR with 5 defenders near him and not the WR that had nobody near him.

If y’all think that he’ll develop into a good-to-great NFL QB and wanna spend a late first on him, be my guest.  I had him as a mid 2nd and now a 3rd rounder to a team that can sit him for a couple years ideally.

Pretty sure there is no reason to transcribe the game to me.  I still do not take his performance as showing he is some awful processor and cannot get the football in tight windows to a variety of wide receivers.  His injury history is the scariest thing about his game, not his processing.  

Either way, how about I take a baseball bat and hit you in the ribs, see how your processing is.  It is hard to walk and or breath with bruised ribs much less play QB in the National Championship game.  

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Either way, how about I take a baseball bat and hit you in the ribs, see how your processing is

Some of you guys have taken this way too far in this Penix defense. Accusing of implying someone believes they could do better on the field and now this. Also it’s you’re. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Some of you guys have taken this way too far in this Penix defense. Accusing of implying someone believes they could do better on the field and now this. Also it’s you’re. 

True, but as someone that had just mild bruised ribs, yeah that is absolute hell and the fact he even played like that is impressive.  So to me that is not a negative, and the fact he had an young undersized center is the main reason he got crushed so much in the pocket.  But you want to pretend that had to do with his processing when the guy still only allowed 1 sack despite pressure almost constantly, do whatever you want.