Where does Michael Penix land in the draft?

I hadn't seen much of Penix until the Sugar Bowl, but from what I can see, this guy's stuff is real good. A great arm, good at making throws into tight windows and a good scrambler to boot.

So far, every mock draft I've seen has him as an early 2nd rounder or late 1st rounder. But given what I've seen, he's definitely helped his draft stock.

I can think of at least a few NFL teams who would be making a major upgrade at QB if they took him. The Giants or Falcons, for example.

• Like 1

This will all likely change by draft time as it always does after the combine + GM gossip rumors but I can see him being the 4th QB off the board in the late 1st or early second. The medicals are going to remove him from some teams draft boards completely so it just depends on which those are.

I think he will be a great target to move up and snag him at the top of the 2nd round for teams like Atlanta/Minnesota. Sort of being like the Will Levis of this years draft where no team wants to commit a 1st with his injuries and throwing mechanics, but they find the chance to do it in the 2nd.

Edited by AkronsWitness

If people are thinking 2nd round, he'll go mid 1st, if people are thinking 3rd, he'll go 2nd round. To me, he's my QB4 and I grade him as a mid to late 1st round QB which means he should go top 15. I like his arm, I like his decision making and I think that he has upside still, but also is polished enough to come in and start.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I'm not so sure why people are overthinking him. He's got average NFL traits, but insane deep ball accuracy and great poise under pressure. 

It's not overthinking.  He's a 24 year old QB with a long injury history and an odd delivery.  That's not exactly something GMs are salivating over.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's not overthinking.  He's a 24 year old QB with a long injury history and an odd delivery.  That's not exactly something GMs are salivating over.

Odd delivery? He's a lefty. I think his release is fine for a guy who lives in the pocket.

Injury history? Sure. Age? Annoying and not ideal, but for a QB, I don't think anyone really cares. These guys play into their late 30's without issue.

Teams are salivating for competency at QB. I think it'd be kind of crazy, with how many teams need an upgrade at QB, if he's passed over because of his age or even his injuries. I think he ends up in Atlanta in R1.

21 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Odd delivery? He's a lefty. I think his release is fine for a guy who lives in the pocket.

Injury history? Sure. Age? Annoying and not ideal, but for a QB, I don't think anyone really cares. These guys play into their late 30's without issue.

Teams are salivating for competency at QB. I think it'd be kind of crazy, with how many teams need an upgrade at QB, if he's passed over because of his age or even his injuries. I think he ends up in Atlanta in R1.

I mean, its not a normal injury history. He's had 4 major injuries one of which was to his throwing shoulder. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

He's also playing with a likely top 15 pick (Odunze) and probably another Day 2 WR (Polk).  I think you're splitting hairs between Bo Nix and Michael Penix IMO.  Penix probably has more "upside" in terms of what he can be in the NFL, but I think Nix is probably a bit safer and at the very least I think he's a solid backup QB for the next decade.  To me, Penix is either a solid starting QB or he's out of the league after a few years.

As for the last part, it's that same kind of logic that made Paxton Lynch, Christian Ponder, and Daniel Jones as FRPs.  When you draft for need (and specifically at QB), you usually get burned pretty badly.

Just now, CWood21 said:

As for the last part, it's that same kind of logic that made Paxton Lynch, Christian Ponder, and Daniel Jones as FRPs.  When you draft for need (and specifically at QB), you usually get burned pretty badly.

The style of play between Paxton Lynch, Christian Ponder, and Daniel Jones are vastly different than Penix. When you draft for need and reach for QB's with tons of holes in their game, sure. But Penix is a pretty clean prospect aside from the injury stuff. I'm not sure what he's projected to be bad at in the NFL aside from zone read stuff.

• Like 2

I think Penix is what Henson Hooker would have been if not for his knee injury at the end of the season.  A likely Day 2 pick who is pro ready but lacks a ton of upside beyond what he already is, but should be an above average NFL starter.  

• Like 1