Where does Michael Penix land in the draft?

3 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

I would disagree with that assessment of Hooker - he had to diagnose coverage pre-snap, go through his progressions and diagnose blitzes.  He may not have been in a pure NFL, traditional offense with the combination of Air Raid and Veer & Shoot that Heupel brings, but there is some of it in there.  What most people raved about with Hooker and why he was successful was what was between his ears, not his athleticism or arm strength.  Granted he had those but they weren't his defining trait

Mmm idk. Maybe he is smart. All I know is an idiot can operate a Heupel offense. It’s all numbers based presnap reads that determines where the ball is going. They saw nothing but vanilla defenses due to the tempo they ran, which means he didn’t have to diagnose blitzes, switch pass protections, move a RB/TE, or check to hot throws. He had it easy. It’s not to say he can’t do those things—it’s just that he didn’t. 

Just now, BetterCallSaul said:

Mmm idk. Maybe he is smart. All I know is an idiot can operate a Heupel offense. It’s all numbers based presnap reads that determines where the ball is going. They saw nothing but vanilla defenses due to the tempo they ran, which means he didn’t have to diagnose blitzes, switch pass protections, move a RB/TE, or check to hot throws. He had it easy. It’s not to say he can’t do those things—it’s just that he didn’t. 

If that's the case, I'd hate to know what Joe Milton is because he was a disaster, haha

14 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

A tremendous athlete with zero confidence in his reads. 

Milton was a worse athlete and never committed to tucking the ball and running.  His arm is Jamarcus Russell-esq but that's about all he is.

Mid to late first is the ceiling.  Top 10 of the second round is the floor.  

If he goes in the first, I think it would be Minnesota, provided they make the playoffs and possibly winning a game (so in the 19-24 range).  If they miss out, he might slide out of the first altogether, but with Carolina lacking picks, I could absolutely see teams lining up to trade for the 33rd pick.  Carolina will be listening.

6 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Hooker pretty much never had to diagnose a coverage. Heupel’s system made it insanely easy for him. Penix is excellent at scanning and going through progressions. Hooker is more athletic and probably has marginally a stronger arm, but I think Penix is much more developed and good at QB things.  

Penix has a stronger arm than Hooker.

2 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I feel like that’s inaccurate. Hooker has a cannon. As does Penix IMO…just a tad under what Hooker could do as far as zip. 

Penix's zip a couple days ago was better than I saw from Hooker. 

31 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I feel like that’s inaccurate. Hooker has a cannon. As does Penix IMO…just a tad under what Hooker could do as far as zip. 

They are comparable enough in that regard where there is hardly a discernable difference. Essentially splitting hairs between the 2 of them as they both have plenty of arm to make just about any throw needed. 

• Like 2

The injury history certainly isn't ideal, but in some ways I do think it's overblown. Penix playing 13 games in 2022 and 14 games (so far) in 2023 without any injury issues should go a long way in his draft evaluation. Had these injuries occurred over the past 2 years, I'd be more concerned, but sometimes players just have some bad luck with this stuff. I remember back when Frank Gore tore ligaments in his knee twice in college and was one of the most durable RB's in NFL history. Not worried about Penix being left handed, being 23 years old when drafted, or having a "perfect throwing motion". I'll be pretty surprised if he isn't a 1st round pick. Penix isn't a guy that depends on athleticism to be successful, so the age thing is hardly a concern. He could easily have a lengthy NFL career still with his style of play. A team like Atlanta would be foolish not to take him in the 1st round. They have several decent pieces on offense and would be an instant upgrade over Ridder. Also wouldn't mind the Saints to take a look at him if Daniels is off the board.    

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Chiefer said:

So what if he’s throwing to good players? Joe Burrow threw to Justin Jefferson and Jamar Chase. CJ Stroud threw to MHJ, JSN, etc.

If you can get the ball to these guys that’s all that matters. And Penix does with Authority. 

imagine the "etc." of CJ Stroud being Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson lol

• Like 6