Should the Raiders keep Antonio Pierce as their HC?

49ersfan

Should the Raiders keep Antonio Pierce as their HC?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Raiders keep Antonio Pierce as their HC?

• Yes
    • No

He's taken over for Josh McDaniels & seemed to inject a lot of life and energy into that locker room. He's turned the locker room & team around with a 4-4 record and had close losses to the Dolphins, Colts & Vikings. The Raiders also played relatively well in the first loss to the Chiefs. Furthermore, the players seem to support him 100%

However, its fair to ask whether this is a sustainable strategy. Will his motivating style last long-term? I've seen something similar happen to my 2008 49ers where a motivating style former LB coach Mike Singletary gave the team a midseason lift, was hired as the full time HC & had 2 bad years with a loaded roster (went 13-3 the year after he was fired) 

Would you keep Antonio Pierce as the HC if you were Mark Davis?

I’m not qualified to say as I haven’t seen enough Raiders games, let alone followed them to have an inside handle on it, but from what I have seen, the players seem to have rallied behind him and he seems to have turned the ship around, so if I’m Mark Davis, I’m 100% giving him a priority slot.  Now if my dream candidate XXX says he’s interested, I’m going to interview him and mull my options, but no ways I’m not atleast keeping Pierce as a finalist 

• Like 4

I’m not a fan of Head Coaches that have to rely on two good coordinators at all times. Do you know how rare it is to find two good coordinators at the same time? I’d rather have a guy who is an expert at x’s and o’s on one side of the field. Therefore there’s never learning a new system on one side of the ball. That’s a huge advantage.

I want Ben Johnson. But if they decide to keep AP I’m ok with it, because he does have good leadership qualities and their is small percentage chance he can turn into someone like John Harbaugh. 

No. He's too much of a blue collar, player's coach kind of guy. This works for the short-term "Rah rah" bit, but it won't work for implementing long-term schematics. The Raiders should get a guy who's great at the x's and o's, particularly on offense and with QB's since that's where the league is now. I wouldn't care if he makes the players feel comfortable or lets them smoke cigars after wins, if the new guy can elevate QB play, he's the right HC candidate.

• Like 4

I wouldn’t. If the raiders want someone like him but with  o Xs and Os the should hire Raheem. As a player development coach, schemes and players love him. He’s doing fantastic things for us with little talent.. He’s learned so much from Sean that he’s more than qualified. This go around he’ll surround himself with offensive mastermind. Raheem is really good. And while it started off rockie, guy has called some world class game when needed the most.. He’s been really great for us and has evolved. He’s a huge reason for Mcvays halftime time record too. Would really love to see Raheem get a second shot and he’s earned it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

He's taken over for Josh McDaniels & seemed to inject a lot of life and energy into that locker room. He's turned the locker room & team around with a 4-4 record and had close losses to the Dolphins, Colts & Vikings. The Raiders also played relatively well in the first loss to the Chiefs. Furthermore, the players seem to support him 100%

However, its fair to ask whether this is a sustainable strategy. Will his motivating style last long-term? I've seen something similar happen to my 2008 49ers where a motivating style former LB coach Mike Singletary gave the team a midseason lift, was hired as the full time HC & had 2 bad years with a loaded roster (went 13-3 the year after he was fired) 

Would you keep Antonio Pierce as the HC if you were Mark Davis?

I’m of the school of thought that if someone wins short term there is no reason to discount that. Winning in the NFL is hard and you absolutely give that job to someone who has shown they can win games when your first choice didn’t. You go on a 7-5 game run at the end of the year and get to the playoffs? You deserve a full offseason to see if you can’t build on it. 

Don’t ruin that shot again. Let Pierce coach this team in 2024-2025.

Give him a two year shot see what happens, make sure the GM is on board as well so they don't go nuts for power etc.

Throw a little extra in to attract some good coordinator hires as well.

4 hours ago, Duluther said:

No. He's too much of a blue collar, player's coach kind of guy. This works for the short-term "Rah rah" bit, but it won't work for implementing long-term schematics. The Raiders should get a guy who's great at the x's and o's, particularly on offense and with QB's since that's where the league is now. I wouldn't care if he makes the players feel comfortable or lets them smoke cigars after wins, if the new guy can elevate QB play, he's the right HC candidate.

It's easy for us to say this from our couches, but we really have no idea what Pierce brings to the coaching table from a schematic standpoint. Everyone thought Campbell was a meathead. Only the organization knows what Pierce is like with the players, on the practice field, game-planning etc. If they like him, there's no reason not to give him a shot.

• Like 2

I think AP has done enough to merit strong consideration. Changed the culture after the brutal McDaniels era, the defense is much improved since he took over and he got a couple of signature wins (63 points vs Chargers, win in KC) which Bisaccia never did in his interim term.

That said, if Jim Harbaugh really is an option then you have to take a look.

Something else worth remembering here is that it’s Mark Davis involved, who like his dad really doesn’t do things the conventional way. It wouldn’t totally shock me if he did something ridiculous like bring back Jon Gruden.

• Like 1