Is it worth trading Justin Jefferson?

Ozzy

Is it worth trading Justin Jefferson?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Is it worth trading Justin Jefferson?

• Yes
    • No

Vikings have some choices, and honestly is trading Justin Jefferson off the table or no?  Because when has a team won a Super Bowl because of a great WR specifically?  That does not happen, teams need an absolutely great QB more often than not and usually the WRs are sometimes great sometimes not, Chiefs traded Tyreek Hill and won a Super Bowl without him because of Patrick Mahomes and their OL/DL.

Everyone loves Justin Jefferson but I would be curious of what the team thinks.  Without him they played more collected and unified it seemed this year, players were more into the game and possibly when Justin is out there they just wait for him to make a play.  Also not sure how much of a leader he is on the sidelines or in the off season.  Sure is awesome he gets so many stats and all that attention but those stats mean nothing if the team does not win when it matters and they absolutely do not.  I assume they could get an absolute ton to trade him but not exactly sure how the contract would breakdown.

For certain the Vikings will be on the hook for $30+ mil a year for what 4 years potentially when they rework his deal?  

The Chiefs got this for Tyreek Hill, five draft picks....

2022 1st round pick
2022 2nd round pick 
2022 4th round pick
2023 4th round pick
2023 6th round pick

Either way it still comes down to does the team win with a WR like Justin Jefferson long term and I am not so sure that is the case.  I would rather have a deep and talented DL, OL and QB than a great WR.  

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

No trade should be off the table but it would take an absolute haul and him not wanting to be here

I think he wants to be here and they want him which is great but do they want him because he will help them win or do they want him because he is popular and the fans really enjoy him?

Because fact is does he make the team win by his play and his leadership?  I would say that is a pretty clear no, he produces for himself and gets stats for himself but those stats have not lead to wins over his career.  Not sure if this is up to date but what his career record is 30-30?  Fastest WR in NFL history to 5000 yards but honestly so what with a .500 record......

Odd to say especially with Kirk Cousins and that situation but same can be said with Jefferson.  Is it worth playing either one of them big time bucks and will they win long term because of it?  

1 minute ago, Nzd07 said:

I wonder what the Chiefs would give up right now to get Tyreek back for this playoff run

Sure they would love it but fact still remains they won a Super Bowl without him last year and this season the OL has been more of an issue because they got rid of Orlando Brown Jr.  and Taylor has not been nearly as good as they thought he would be.  

But probably more was Bolton Jr being hurt on defense a lot of the season then I think Gay got hurt also.  And they lost JuJu to free agency so that hurt the WR group.  They also lost Thornhill at safety who is very solid and that other safety spot opposite Reid is their weak spot now.  

Still remains they have a great QB and consistently can put out and draft or sign/develop quality OL and DL.  Vikings cannot say the same especially on the OL and DL.  

I wouldn’t do it for that package. 
But I could be interested if a team like Arizona wants to trade their draft pick for JJ (and we take QB at #4), and then we get to use our #11 draft pick on the DL. 

But we’d need to really like that QB, or have the QBs fall. 

Edited by CriminalMind

4 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I can't say absolutely no, but it would have to be the most lopsided trade in NFL history.

Do you feel Jefferson helps them win long term and is worth $30+ mil a year?   5-2 without him this year and honestly I would say they played better on both sides of the ball at that time even with suspect QB play.  

I am just not sure in football today you can win a Super Bowl with a WR being your absolute best player.  

36 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think he wants to be here and they want him which is great but do they want him because he will help them win or do they want him because he is popular and the fans really enjoy him?

is it ok if the answer is both?

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Do you feel Jefferson helps them win long term and is worth $30+ mil a year?   5-2 without him this year and honestly I would say they played better on both sides of the ball at that time even with suspect QB play.  

I am just not sure in football today you can win a Super Bowl with a WR being your absolute best player.  

Just because there are no recent examples? Or what? The Falcons would've won in 2017 if Shanahan knew how to run the clock out.

Edited by Nzd07

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

is it ok if the answer is both?

Adams
Kupp
Diggs
Chase

All are great but without a great QB they do not win games because of their play. 

Sure Lamb and Hill are great this year but both have a healthy and successful QB as well.  Same possibly for AJ Brown but he is also just a physical tank similar to Metcalf but Brown can actually run routes.  Then there is a guy like Nacua this year, he is that great or is he great because he has a future HOF QB throwing him the ball.  I would say yeah it might have a bit to do with the QB who is throwing you the ball.  Doubt Nacua would have the same success on the Giants this year.

Just not sure it is a winning thing to do

Packers got two draft picks for Davante Adams, not as big of a haul though of course compared to Hill.  Either way it still comes down to does having Justin Jefferson make the Vikings win games, and his 30-30 record says not really....at the moment

2022 first-round pick (22nd overall)
2022 second-round pick (53rd overall)

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

In my opinion JJ will be the best player on any team he's on.  I don't think you can win the Super Bowl without your best player.  Yes, he's worth $30 million a year and probably more.  KIM'S job is to be sure the Vikings have a QB who is worthy of playing with JJ in his prime.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

Just because there are no recent examples? Or what? The Falcons would've won in 2017 if Shanahan knew how to run the clock out.

Not sure there has ever been a really great WR that won big in the NFL with playoff and Super Bowl wins that did not have a HOF QB throwing him the ball over the past what 20-30 years.  Julio Jones sure but Matt Ryan at the time was lights out for the Falcons that is for sure.  Oh and he was the NFL MVP that year was he not where they went to the Super Bowl....

Only one I can recall is Steve Smith on the Carolina Panthers with Jake Delhomme as their QB when they went to the Super Bowl but did lose to the Patriots.  Then he later had Cam Newton who had a few great seasons of course.  

And yes recently, the NFL has changed even compared to 2017.  WRs are defended differently now because of the rules and QBs are protected more now because of the rule changes.  You do not have to be super elite to be successful at WR because honestly you can go over the middle where before no way in hell you did that unless you were either super fast, a great route runner or a freaking tank.  The game has changed and little guys like Tank Dell and Jordan Addison do just fine at what 165-170 pounds?  Even Justin himself is not exactly a huge WR either especially when he came into the league.  Josh Downs is another 5-9 160, Tyler Lockett has done it for awhile at 180, Zay Flowers at 170.  It is all about quickness and speed where back in the day that would not fly with how players were allowed to hit.  

So the game is different so why not look at recent history.  

I would trade Jefferson for the picks that net us Harrison Jr and the ammo required to secure Penix or Daniels.

Then use JJs money on Hunter and defense. 

So basically 2024 1st, 2nd and future 2025 1st + extras.