The Offseason

Acgott

12 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Are you all sold on drafting a QB with the first pick?

I'd still rather see us address other positions to help our current QB rather than drafting a QB that will have the same challenges.

Any other position outside of QB you'd like to see the team address with this first pick?

I dont know if I'd say I'm "sold". I still maintain that hitting on a franchise QB is the fastest, and most long-term sustainable way, to rebuild. With this being a very rich QB draft, and us picking 6th overall, I think Schoen and Co need to look very carefully and decide which QBs they think can be the guy and decide how risk is each guy worth. You're in striking distance; if you think there are 3 franchise guys in this draft, you need to be talking to the Pats, Commanders, and Bears about moving up every day. It's that important. 

That said, I'm ok with them not taking a QB if the draft doesn't fall the way they'd like. If QBs go 1, 2, 3, they can't move up, and they don't like their 4th guy, I'm fine looking elsewhere. There are some supremely talented WRs in this draft. MHJr, Nabers, and Odunze are #1 receivers, something this team hasn't had since Odell left. One of them WILL be available at 6, and that's where I'd be looking if we stay put. 

I wouldn't agree with the decision if the Giants decided to take Fashanu or Alt at 6. We've already invested more draft capital in the OL than any other team by a large margin. The chickens have to come home to roost on those decisions. You need to develop the guys you have. Those are talented prospects, but it would be an awful utilization of resources. 

There are some really good QB draft prospects this year, and personally, there are 5 guys I'd be ok with at 6, so I think the Giants should take a QB at 6 (unless they go 1-5, which they wont). Obviously you have Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, and Jayden Daniels, but I like Bo Nix and JJ McCarthy too. Bo Nix is a guy you absolutely start right away due to his age and extensive starting QB experience, but JJ is a guy who can and should sit for a bit. He's young and never had to carry Michigan anywhere. They had a great defense and running game his entire career there.

I'd honestly love to see Daniel Jones get pushed and challenged actually in some meaningful way. He's never had a real competition at QB in the NFL, and his problems are mostly mental (besides the injuries, obviously). He has the arm to take the shots Dabs and the offense want him to take, but he didn't last year. Let's see with a little motivation if he doesn't start taking those shots. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I dont know if I'd say I'm "sold". I still maintain that hitting on a franchise QB is the fastest, and most long-term sustainable way, to rebuild. With this being a very rich QB draft, and us picking 6th overall, I think Schoen and Co need to look very carefully and decide which QBs they think can be the guy and decide how risk is each guy worth. You're in striking distance; if you think there are 3 franchise guys in this draft, you need to be talking to the Pats, Commanders, and Bears about moving up every day. It's that important. 

That said, I'm ok with them not taking a QB if the draft doesn't fall the way they'd like. If QBs go 1, 2, 3, they can't move up, and they don't like their 4th guy, I'm fine looking elsewhere. There are some supremely talented WRs in this draft. MHJr, Nabers, and Odunze are #1 receivers, something this team hasn't had since Odell left. One of them WILL be available at 6, and that's where I'd be looking if we stay put. 

I wouldn't agree with the decision if the Giants decided to take Fashanu or Alt at 6. We've already invested more draft capital in the OL than any other team by a large margin. The chickens have to come home to roost on those decisions. You need to develop the guys you have. Those are talented prospects, but it would be an awful utilization of resources. 

There are some really good QB draft prospects this year, and personally, there are 5 guys I'd be ok with at 6, so I think the Giants should take a QB at 6 (unless they go 1-5, which they wont). Obviously you have Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, and Jayden Daniels, but I like Bo Nix and JJ McCarthy too. Bo Nix is a guy you absolutely start right away due to his age and extensive starting QB experience, but JJ is a guy who can and should sit for a bit. He's young and never had to carry Michigan anywhere. They had a great defense and running game his entire career there.

I'd honestly love to see Daniel Jones get pushed and challenged actually in some meaningful way. He's never had a real competition at QB in the NFL, and his problems are mostly mental (besides the injuries, obviously). He has the arm to take the shots Dabs and the offense want him to take, but he didn't last year. Let's see with a little motivation if he doesn't start taking those shots. 

Appreciate the write up.  Very detailed.

Admittingly I haven't scouted any draftees just yet and if there are some players at the QB spot that are lights out I get that it would be difficult to not draft one of them.

I understand that we've invested a lot of draft capital on the OL, but we've also missed on a number of those picks.  Last one being Evan Neal.  I'm also not saying we must draft for these positions as we've got the FA.  

You mentioned pushing Daniel Jones by giving him better competition but drafting a QB in the first IMO isn't giving him that but rather saying "we've drafted your replacement".  

Now if QB is the top talent when we pick, I'd actually look to trade down.  I still believe Jones can get the job done.  Again, I haven't scouted any of these guys yet and after doing so, it might change my mind.  That said, I have a type of QB that I favor over other types.  Personally not a fan of the running type QB.  I love my pocket passers.

Right now without scouting, I'd lean on getting him legit targets, protecting him in the pocket and beefing up our defense.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

16th in cap space this year 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/new-york-giants/

I don't think we have a ton of holes to fill like in years past, secondary is probably our biggest positional loss this season.  

Again, really appreciate your thoughts.  Very insightful and thought out.  Enjoyed reading.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 6:42 PM, ny92mike said:

I still believe Jones can get the job done. 

But why? The four full seasons he's played in the NFL have been entirely mediocre and sadly... on par with his college stats. This is who he was in college and it's who he is in the NFL... what makes you think all of a sudden he's going to break out and become anything more then average? And average is being generous. If you take away his ground production he's bottom 3rd in the league. It was a bad pick and a bad contract. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

What's the consensus here on Barkley returning? Likely or unlikely? 

I'd say 60-40 he leaves. Maybe even 70-30. I think the large amount of talk that's out there that revolves around him not returning is Barkley's camp correcting his mistake from last year, where he immediately relinquished all of his leverage by talking candidly to the media. I think if Barkley had his way, he'd still stay with the Giants, but like Acgott said, it doesn't really make sense for the Giants at this point. He's most valuable to a team as a finishing piece; he can take your rushing YPG from 105 to 130. He isn't going to take you from 75 to 100. He needs a good to great OL to be behind, then his full value becomes realized. The Giants aren't in a position from a roster building perspective to get the most value from him and what he wants money wise, so I think he ultimately leaves. He also just does not have that 3rd gear anymore that he had his rookie year. He's still good, but he's already starting to fade a bit.

• Like 1

I just don't get the Kafka situation... dude put up the 4th worse offense this season and a middling showing last year despite making the playoffs and gets a promotion? Why are they kowtowing to him? What am I missing?

40 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I just don't get the Kafka situation... dude put up the 4th worse offense this season and a middling showing last year despite making the playoffs and gets a promotion? Why are they kowtowing to him? What am I missing?

They are tricking all the teams to hire him as a HC next season so we get two 3rds.