Wild Card GDT: Green Bay Packers @ Dallas Cowboys

MaddHatter

2 minutes ago, Northland said:

It's the dollars Dak will command that scare me.  

It’s actually a really bad cap situation with Dak.  We are way over the cap next year ($16m).  Next year is Dak’s final year of contract and he accounts for almost $60m in cap space.  We cannot franchise him.  He has a no trade clause and he already accounts for $35m on the 2025 cap even if he’s not on the team.  So, the best way to save money on the cap is to restructure him.  But that just extends the same cycle.  Even worse is that we truly have some elite players due for contract extensions.  But extending Dak beyond 2024 makes it harder to extend Lamb and Parsons. 

I’ll just leave it as this, next year we don’t have 2 starting OL and a starting RB under contract.  We are $16m over the cap.  We will not be able to do much, if anything, in FA.  

Just now, plan9misfit said:

The problem is that he’s been terrible in literally every big game. Empty calorie yards doesn’t mean anything. He stinks up the place and then puts up big numbers in total garbage time when the game is out of reach. That’s not what a $40M+ QB should be doing.

I agree, he’s been terrible in playoff games. He was the main reason we lost last year to the 49ers. But in the regular season, Dak has been decent. But in this WC game? The defense was all time horrific, even worse than Dak Prescott’s terrible game. You just can’t give up 41 points to a 7th seed. What happened to the “shutdown”, turnover defense? 

From the start, the Packers had more heart than the entire Cowboys team. They were literally screaming “this is our house” while Cowboys just took it. 

6 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

As much as Dak was bad at the start, moving on from him would be disastrous. He’s not to blame for the defense giving the team absolutely zero chance. I firmly believe Dak would have found the win if the defense could get a stop literally at all. No QB was going to survive that horrific defensive effort. 

This defense gave up 20 points in the first half and another 21 in the second. In their house… What could Dak do to stop that?

The defense is a bunch of soft hearted, undisciplined losers. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Both sides were dreadful. But it’s easy to see the offense not being held as accountable retroactively 

Screw that! The first TD took 8 minutes!!! Dak had 0 passing yards in the 1st quarter. 3 and out, and a pick. Our defense was totally gassed by halftime!

Make no mistake. The opposing DC knew Prescott cannot change his game. He plays within himself. If taken out if his comfort zone, you get what you got tonight.

Prescott is NOT capable of playing at a playoff level, period!

I said it earlier, I will say it again, he needs to go while we can still get maybe a 2nd round pick for him. I would also look to trade Parsons. He was invisible tonight and has been for weeks. Can we nab a late 1st for him?

Also on the list:

Tyron Smith

D. Lawrence

T. Pollard

M. Gallup

Moving forward:

Harbaugh for HC

Draft BPA at:

OL, DL, LB, RB, DE, 

Still have a young core:

Lamb, Lance, Ferguson, T.Smith, Biadisz, Bland, Diggs, Clark, Aubrey.

Then you still got promising guys like Overshown, Bass

Because retreads, FAs, Vets that can't stay healthy, just aren't getting it done.

Its a young mans game today folks. 

Just now, Tony7188 said:

This defense gave up 20 points in the first half and another 21 in the second. In their house… What could Dak do to stop that?

Dak SUCKS!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

As much as Dak was bad at the start, moving on from him would be disastrous. He’s not to blame for the defense giving the team absolutely zero chance. I firmly believe Dak would have found the win if the defense could get a stop literally at all. No QB was going to survive that horrific defensive effort. 

There is a lot of truth to this, but the multiple INTs - which led to two TDs - helped dig the grave, so he still has some culpability. Plus, his body language was terrible. He, yet again, looked confused and overwhelmed from the onset. That’s on him and why I’ll never support him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

That’s on the coaching staff, and Jerry. The culture that Jerry has set is that players are never held accountable, which is why this keeps happening, regardless of player or coach.

8 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

I agree, he’s been terrible in playoff games. He was the main reason we lost last year to the 49ers. But in the regular season, Dak has been decent. But in this WC game? The defense was all time horrific, even worse than Dak Prescott’s terrible game. You just can’t give up 41 points to a 7th seed. What happened to the “shutdown”, turnover defense? 

From the start, the Packers had more heart than the entire Cowboys team. They were literally screaming “this is our house” while Cowboys just took it. 

Thats a reflection of their HC.

Speaking of that, how plausible is it that Dairy Queen and McFarty were indifferent to this game because perhaps they have their next job lined up or heard rumors, perhaps conversations about BB coming here. Because this team looked clueless tonight.

14 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Exactly. 

14 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Screw that! The first TD took 8 minutes!!! Dak had 0 passing yards in the 1st quarter. 3 and out, and a pick. Our defense was totally gassed by halftime!

Make no mistake. The opposing DC knew Prescott cannot change his game. He plays within himself. If taken out if his comfort zone, you get what you got tonight.

Prescott is NOT capable of playing at a playoff level, period!

I said it earlier, I will say it again, he needs to go while we can still get maybe a 2nd round pick for him. I would also look to trade Parsons. He was invisible tonight and has been for weeks. Can we nab a late 1st for him?

Also on the list:

Tyron Smith

D. Lawrence

T. Pollard

M. Gallup

Moving forward:

Harbaugh for HC

Draft BPA at:

OL, DL, LB, RB, DE, 

Still have a young core:

Lamb, Lance, Ferguson, T.Smith, Biadisz, Bland, Diggs, Clark, Aubrey.

Then you still got promising guys like Overshown, Bass

Because retreads, FAs, Vets that can't stay healthy, just aren't getting it done.

Its a young mans game today folks. 

Parsons is the most double teamed pass rusher in the league. And still has the highest win%.  He’s not the issue. The issue is how he’s used and the play around him. And that mostly comes down to coaching and play calling. 

Can you imagine allowing BB to take over this team and mold this defense and giving him a guy like parsons to build around? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, project T.O said:

Parsons is the most double teamed pass rusher in the league. And still has the highest win%.  He’s not the issue. The issue is how he’s used and the play around him. And that mostly comes down to coaching and play calling. 

Can you imagine allowing BB to take over this team and mold this defense and giving him a guy like parsons to build around? 

Im just afraid he's getting burned out. They're relying wayyy to much on him to make plays. By Thanksgiving his performance began to dip. I haven't seen much from him tge 2nd half of the year.

3 minutes ago, project T.O said:

Much like the current presidential race and the majority of leadership in this country - no to Belichick, no to old guys

52 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

The problem is that he’s been terrible in literally every big game. Empty calorie yards don’t mean anything. He stinks up the place and then puts up big numbers in total garbage time when the game is out of reach. That’s not what a $40M+ QB should be doing.

He has not been terrible in EVERY big game.   See Philly this year TB playoff game last year.  Detroit this year.  A game D almost lost for us.  Yes he was not good enough this game and helped add fuel to the fire that was our D with that terrible pick six.  But news flash it was 20-0 at that point Dak made a terrible decision and throw and as usual when we get way behind Dak tends to force ball down field.  GB basically took away everything we tried to do this game and sore Pollard had some yards but look at all our second down runs that went zero zip. They did t care about stopping Pollard they just focused on running a D that took our O out of its comfort zone.   

my top 5 takes that lead to this dumpster of a fire.  

The penalty on Bland first drive that gave them a first down rather then third and LONG.  We could have gotten ball with everything right in Dallas world rather then being down 7 zip

it sure seemed like to me that Cooks gave up on that deep pass that ended up falling incomplete not sure but it sure seemed he had a total unawareness of what was happening something that I feel ran rampant on this team in this game 

Lamb not catching that pass off his finger tips that would have given us a first down and some momentum while it was still a game

The  offsides by DLaw that turned goal to goal from the 8 to a easy TD from the 4

Daks first interception this just set the wrong tone and gave GB way too much emotional lift   While I don’t think that interception was 100 on Dak it still can not happen and typical Dak Dallas pass slightly off target - defender makes a better effort to get the ball then receiver 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, quiller said:

He has not been terrible in EVERY big game.   See Philly this year TB playoff game last year.  Detroit this year.  A game D almost lost for us.  Yes he was not good enough this game and helped add fuel to the fire that was our D with that terrible pick six.  But news flash it was 20-0 at that point Dak made a terrible decision and throw and as usual when we get way behind Dak tends to force ball down field.  GB basically took away everything we tried to do this game and sore Pollard had some yards but look at all our second down runs that went zero zip. They did t care about stopping Pollard they just focused on running a D that took our O out of its comfort zone.   

my top 5 takes that lead to this dumpster of a fire.  

The penalty on Bland first drive that gave them a first down rather then third and LONG.  We could have gotten ball with everything right in Dallas world rather then being down 7 zip

it sure seemed like to me that Cooks gave up on that deep pass that ended up falling incomplete not sure but it sure seemed he had a total unawareness of what was happening something that I feel ran rampant on this team in this game 

Lamb not catching that pass off his finger tips that would have given us a first down and some momentum while it was still a game

The  offsides by DLaw that turned goal to goal from the 8 to a easy TD from the 4

Daks first interception this just set the wrong tone and gave GB way too much emotional lift   While I don’t think that interception was 100 on Dak it still can not happen and typical Dak Dallas pass slightly off target - defender makes a better effort to get the ball then receiver 

All bad plays but our QB had Zero yards in the 1st quarter down 14-0. Sure, he competed in the 2nd half but keep in mind, GB was up 3/4 scores at that point. They were content to just let Dallas eat clock regardless of if they scored or not. 

Our defense was totally gassed. 

This game was not decided by 3 or 4 plays. We were man-handled from the opening gun!