Wild Card GDT: Green Bay Packers @ Dallas Cowboys

MaddHatter

Do I need to remind everyone of the Quincy Carter era? The pit of despair we sat in from Aikman to Romo? If Trent Dilfer, Rex Grossman, Eli Manning and Brad Johnson can all go to the Super Bowl (and even win it), then I promise you Dak can.  

Last night snowballed fast but it started with the D giving up a 75yd drive like a hot knife going through butter, then Mike calling a quick 3-and-out after an easy catch was dropped.  Our run game was once again non existent 

That first INT is what it is. The DB made a great play and the refs kept the flags in their pocket.  The second INT was stupid - everyone watching knew Dak was going to force it to Lamb from the time they walked out of the huddle - dude was trying to rally his guy who’s head wasn’t in it to start the game and got tunnel vision. That’s on him, but you can’t tell me he wasn’t being a leader and trying to keep the guys fighting. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Do I need to remind everyone of the Quincy Carter era? The pit of despair we sat in from Aikman to Romo? If Trent Dilfer, Rex Grossman, Eli Manning and Brad Johnson can all go to the Super Bowl (and even win it), then I promise you Dak can.  

Last night snowballed fast but it started with the D giving up a 75yd drive like a hot knife going through butter, then Mike calling a quick 3-and-out after an easy catch was dropped.  Our run game was once again non existent 

That first INT is what it is. The DB made a great play and the refs kept the flags in their pocket.  The second INT was stupid - everyone watching knew Dak was going to force it to Lamb from the time they walked out of the huddle - dude was trying to rally his guy who’s head wasn’t in it to start the game and got tunnel vision. That’s on him, but you can’t tell me he wasn’t being a leader and trying to keep the guys fighting. 

Hat, I appreciate your feelings towards Dak, I really do. And I admire your optimism.

But you're talking about QBs that had great HCs and monster defenses.

Thats a lot to hope for in order to get an above average QB against bad teams to lead this team to a SB appearance/ victory.

He has shown, time and again, that once he is taken out of his comfort zone, all of his short comings are on display. 

Did you watch Lions/Rams? Either of those teams would have destroyed us. Their QBs played with patience, poise and were able to execute with guys in their faces all night.

I saw NONE of that from Prescott yesterday. He looked panicked, confused and scared. And every DC in the league knows when you get Prescott in that frame of mind, he turns the ball over. 

It's time pal. His best value to us right now is his teade value. A new HC worth a damn will want his guy. Whether that is Lance or he drafts his guy remains to be seen. But this show is over. 

7 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Hat, I appreciate your feelings towards Dak, I really do. And I admire your optimism.

Thats a lot to hope for in order to get an above average QB against bad teams to lead this team to a SB appearance/ victory.

He has shown, time and again, that once he is taken out of his comfort zone, all of his short comings are on display. 

Did you watch Lions/Rams? Either of those teams would have destroyed us. Their QBs played with patience, poise and were able to execute with guys in their faces all night.

I saw NONE of that from Prescott yesterday. He looked panicked, confused and scared. And every DC in the league knows when you get Prescott in that frame of mind, he turns the ball over. 

It's time pal. His best value to us right now is his teade value. A new HC worth a damn will want his guy. Whether that is Lance or he drafts his guy remains to be seen. But this show is over. 

Dak wasn’t “above average against bad defenses”, he was arguably THE BEST QB in the NFL this season for 18 weeks in a row.  He was equally as good every year he’s been healthy.  In the playoffs against good teams he has also been good (last night notwithstanding).  You are arguing to walk away from an All-Pro/MVP Caliber QB because of one game… that’s irrational and purely emotional.

And if you think a HC would rather have a first round draft pick to gamble on a possible QB he has to develop for the next 3 years and is banking his career on, or an All-Pro in his 30s who is playing at an MVP level then I think you’re kidding yourself.

EDIT: and yes, I saw the Rams/Lions game. I also saw Dak beat both those teams and out-duel both those QBs this year.  You can try and claim he chokes in the playoffs but that doesn’t match his previous performance sir 15TD:5TO 68% and 280ypg with a 92.3 PSR (none of which were “garbage” time stats)

Edited by MaddHatter
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

It’s been well over 10 years since any of those players reached a Super Bowl, over 20 in some cases. You’re getting Brees vs Manning or Mahomes vs Brady way more often than not these days. I would say the days of Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer winning SBs are long gone.

The better question is if Dak is or can be to the caliber of a Russell Wilson or Matt Stafford type player. Obviously it’s easy to say that he can based on his full body of work this year as a 2nd team All-Pro. But it would be disingenuous to say he was good enough yesterday just because he reached 400 yards, when a closer look tells you he had 87 at the break and a truly incredible 0 in the first quarter.

24 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

It’s been well over 10 years since any of those players reached a Super Bowl, over 20 in some cases. You’re getting Brees vs Manning or Mahomes vs Brady way more often than not these days. I would say the days of Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer winning SBs are long gone.

The better question is if Dak is or can be to the caliber of a Russell Wilson or Matt Stafford type player. Obviously it’s easy to say that he can based on his full body of work this year as a 2nd team All-Pro. But it would be disingenuous to say he was good enough yesterday just because he reached 400 yards, when a closer look tells you he had 87 at the break and a truly incredible 0 in the first quarter.

Maybe, but we know he’s Wilson/Stafford good so point remains.

0 in first quarter thanks to 2 drops and a bubble screen while the D gave up 70yds on 12 mins TOP

As long as dak is the qb, I’ve got no optimism or excitement for the season 

been this way the last 3-4 years 

I know what we have with the guy 

Edited by 5x10

1 hour ago, MaddHatter said:

Dak wasn’t “above average against bad defenses”, he was arguably THE BEST QB in the NFL this season for 18 weeks in a row.  He was equally as good every year he’s been healthy.  In the playoffs against good teams he has also been good (last night notwithstanding).  You are arguing to walk away from an All-Pro/MVP Caliber QB because of one game… that’s irrational and purely emotional.

And if you think a HC would rather have a first round draft pick to gamble on a possible QB he has to develop for the next 3 years and is banking his career on, or an All-Pro in his 30s who is playing at an MVP level then I think you’re kidding yourself.

EDIT: and yes, I saw the Rams/Lions game. I also saw Dak beat both those teams and out-duel both those QBs this year.  You can try and claim he chokes in the playoffs but that doesn’t match his previous performance sir 15TD:5TO 68% and 280ypg with a 92.3 PSR (none of which were “garbage” time stats)

But he CANNOT do it in the playoffs!!! He has 1 gear, thats it! Regular season stats are garbage. Alright, they get you into the post season, but you are arguing he was bad in 1 game. I've seen the same scared, confused, panicked player 3 years in a row! You want to see a stat? Dak Prescott 2-4 in the post season with 3 one and dones!

You're chasing your tail with this guy. He isn't going to get better against better competition. He lacks Poise! 

Look, a great RB needs 2 things: balance and vision. Speed is good, strength to break tackles. Nice. But without balance and vision, you're average at best.

A great QB needs to remain calm, see the field, make smart decisions under pressure, take what the defense gives him and execute. All of that is summed up in 1 word-Poise. And Prescott DOES NOT HAVE IT!

Some get by on arm strength (ie: cannon) or accuracy or scrambling ability. But poise is what separates the good from the great.

And Prescott has repeatedly shown he doesn't have it and with each passing post-season embarrassing loss, he moves further away from it.

The physical tools are there. But you are waiting for something that will NEVER come. It cannot be taught, bought, given or stolen. It has to come from within and the more failures he experiences, the less chance he will find it.

Here's an example, I KNEW when we were down 7-0 and pinned deep that he was going to turn the ball over. He was feeling the pressure of the situation, as was I, and I had Zero confidence, as did he, that he would remain calm enough to handle the situation.

The game moves exponentially faster in the playoffs and he got outplayed by a rookie to the post season.

Give it up already!

2 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

You think this inept front office could really pull that off? The same one that traded Cooper for a 5th round pick? The reason why we don’t have a great HC is due to our ego maniac owner/GM.

We all knew MM wasn’t the answer at HC. JG was terrible too. In FA, the team did nothing but bargain shop while Bobby Wagner was out there. Roquan Smith was available from the Bears for trade. The F.O. said “we like our guys”.

I don’t mind if Dak is cut next year, but I’m willing to bet he will kill it with his next team. Solely on the fact that football and winning is not the #1 priority with the Dallas Cowboys and that starts with the front office.

9 minutes ago, TVScout said:

The two probs for Dak are:

1) The o-line has crumbled.

2) the coaches can't find the holes in the opponents zone defenses until it is too late.

The Cowboys need a transcendent QB to be able to win in the playoffs. The chances of finding one are slim to none. Anything less, they will struggle due to the dysfunctional nature of the organization.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

But he CANNOT do it in the playoffs!!! He has 1 gear, thats it! Regular season stats are garbage. Alright, they get you into the post season, but you are arguing he was bad in 1 game. I've seen the same scared, confused, panicked player 3 years in a row! You want to see a stat? Dak Prescott 2-4 in the post season with 3 one and dones!

You're chasing your tail with this guy. He isn't going to get better against better competition. He lacks Poise! 

Look, a great RB needs 2 things: balance and vision. Speed is good, strength to break tackles. Nice. But without balance and vision, you're average at best.

A great QB needs to remain calm, see the field, make smart decisions under pressure, take what the defense gives him and execute. All of that is summed up in 1 word-Poise. And Prescott DOES NOT HAVE IT!

Some get by on arm strength (ie: cannon) or accuracy or scrambling ability. But poise is what separates the good from the great.

And Prescott has repeatedly shown he doesn't have it and with each passing post-season embarrassing loss, he moves further away from it.

The physical tools are there. But you are waiting for something that will NEVER come. It cannot be taught, bought, given or stolen. It has to come from within and the more failures he experiences, the less chance he will find it.

Here's an example, I KNEW when we were down 7-0 and pinned deep that he was going to turn the ball over. He was feeling the pressure of the situation, as was I, and I had Zero confidence, as did he, that he would remain calm enough to handle the situation.

The game moves exponentially faster in the playoffs and he got outplayed by a rookie to the post season.

Give it up already!

He can’t? He has! 15 TDs, 5 TOs, 280ypg and 68% Comp is doing it in the playoffs

He lacks poise? GTFOH - he made some bad decisions after we got down big, including the pick-6, but for most of the game he was constantly going through his reads and finding the only guy he could fit the ball to while under constant pressure. He made some absolutely ridiculous throws into tight windows, and was giving his receivers opportunities to make plays.  

You knew that first INT was coming because our D melted to Love? That wasn’t a bad throw and it wasn’t a bad decision, but you knew the WR would play weak and the DB would fight through and that the ref would let them play? Hillarious…

Now if you say you knew the second was coming, I think the whole world did - that one was ugly

Edited by MaddHatter

Even Voch Lombard who people like to quote here who is a huge Dak fan said Dak was horrible yesterday and could have easily thrown 5 ints yesterday. Yes the defense coaching was bad but so was the qb can’t defend him.

2 minutes ago, cromagnum said:

Even Voch Lombard who people like to quote here who is a huge Dak fan said Dak was horrible yesterday and could have easily thrown 5 ints yesterday. Yes the defense coaching was bad but so was the qb can’t defend him.

Dont think anyone is “defending Dak” for the game last night.  He wasn’t good, that is clear. He also wasn’t good vs. Buffalo and Arizona.  But he was GREAT most of the season and for most of his career, so you don’t throw away a QB of his caliber because of one bad game.