NFC Wild Card: 6. Los Angeles Rams (10-7) @ Detroit Lions (12-5) Sunday Night Football

Louis Friend

Rams @ Lions   

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets revenge?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Who has the better run game? 
who has the better wr? 
who has the better qb? 
who has the better defender? 

im legit asking not being crazy. Can you answer for me? 

Run game- Detroit is 5th in the league with two RBs that almost finished with 1,000 yds and 10 TDs each (Monty 1,000+/13Tds Gibbs 945 yds/10TDs). LA is 11th in the league with one guy who put up 1,144 yds and 12 TDs. Kyren is good, but I think the edge goes to Detroit here. 

WR- Puka put up 1,400 yds and 6 TDs, ARSB put up 1,500 yds and 10 TDs. Kupp and Higbee are factors as are Jamo and LaPorta. I think both teams are stacked in playmakers but head to head, ARSB was the most productive this season. But it’s close. I think any of them could be the x factor in the game. 

QB- Goff was second in the league in passing yards with over 4,500, along with 67.3% completion and a 30/12 TD/INT ratio. Stafford put up almost 4,000 yds on 62.6% completion percentage with a 24/11 TD/INT ratio. Stafford also missed 2 games. Both players have had playoff success and have gotten to a Super Bowl. I don’t think the gap between them in as large as Rams fans wish it were. A lot of people just see Goff as the guy who McVay sent packing. I’d give the edge to Stafford but again, it’s close. 

Best defender- Aaron Donald will be a first ballot HOFer. His impact in the middle is undeniable. He gets the nod no doubt. But the Lions are no slouches either. Hutch is a beast. Ernest Jones is a good LB as is Anzalone. Fuller/Johnson/Yeast are damn good safeties. Lions have CJGJ/Kerby/Iffy playing well also. I like Kobie Turner. It’ll be fun to watch the matchups. 

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Do you really think that has much relevance on this game? Turnovers is a very fluky stat and the Lions on the year were even and Rams -3 for turnover differential. That's not a big gap. 

So season stats are irrelevant to this game but you follow that up by putting up the differential for the season? 

5 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

So season stats are irrelevant to this game but you follow that up by putting up the differential for the season? 

I never said they are irrelevant. I said that Detroit needs to win the turnover battle to win the game. Yes, the Rams don't force a lot of turnovers but we also turnover the ball less than Detroit does. If we don't turn the ball over at all in the game, then Detroit cannot win the turnover battle. 

But the key point, in a 1 game setting, I rarely try to predict turnovers as there is a significant luck component to it. 

Edited by LeotheLion

7 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Run game- Detroit is 5th in the league with two RBs that almost finished with 1,000 yds and 10 TDs each (Monty 1,000+/13Tds Gibbs 945 yds/10TDs). LA is 11th in the league with one guy who put up 1,144 yds and 12 TDs. Kyren is good, but I think the edge goes to Detroit here. 

WR- Puka put up 1,400 yds and 6 TDs, ARSB put up 1,500 yds and 10 TDs. Kupp and Higbee are factors as are Jamo and LaPorta. I think both teams are stacked in playmakers but head to head, ARSB was the most productive this season. But it’s close. I think any of them could be the x factor in the game. 

QB- Goff was second in the league in passing yards with over 4,500, along with 67.3% completion and a 30/12 TD/INT ratio. Stafford put up almost 4,000 yds on 62.6% completion percentage with a 24/11 TD/INT ratio. Stafford also missed 2 games. Both players have had playoff success and have gotten to a Super Bowl. I don’t think the gap between them in as large as Rams fans wish it were. A lot of people just see Goff as the guy who McVay sent packing. I’d give the edge to Stafford but again, it’s close. 

Best defender- Aaron Donald will be a first ballot HOFer. His impact in the middle is undeniable. He gets the nod no doubt. But the Lions are no slouches either. Hutch is a beast. Ernest Jones is a good LB as is Anzalone. Fuller/Johnson/Yeast are damn good safeties. Lions have CJGJ/Kerby/Iffy playing well also. I like Kobie Turner. It’ll be fun to watch the matchups. 

Looking at it through that lens, Detroit should win this game with ease.

The Rams are a strange case this year - even though Kyren and Puka were 5th rounders, they are cornerstones. With the Rams big four playing, they are likely superior to Detroit in more offensive categories (I know they are in EPA, I'm guessing our run game was better overall when he played). We can take that for what it's worth and argue/ignore or accept it as a valid argument - however, all four will be playing this Sunday night.

I do NOT have faith in either defense to stop either offense in this game

The fun thing about this game is all the young players on both sides, we'll find out who the gamers are and who's going to be starring in post seasons for years to come. I got Amon-Ra. If he has less than 10 catches in this game I'll be stunned

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Just a preposterous opinion lol

What's preposterous about this? Hutch has 100+ pressures on the season and a 90+ PFF grade. Aaron Donald is a future HOFer. I just think Aidan is like 1% better at this point.

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

DVOA:

DET offense (5) vs LAR defense (22)

LAR offense (7) vs DET defense (13)

DET ST (19) vs LAR ST (32)

Weighted: DET (7) vs LAR (16)

I like the mental makeup of this Detroit team, too. I have Detroit by 7-10 in this one.

You.. stop doing that.. stop being so.. agreeable.

18 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

DVOA:

DET offense (5) vs LAR defense (22)

LAR offense (7) vs DET defense (13)

DET ST (19) vs LAR ST (32)

Weighted: DET (7) vs LAR (16)

I like the mental makeup of this Detroit team, too. I have Detroit by 7-10 in this one.

I don’t think the game will be decided by that much. I think it’ll be a pretty evenly matched game and it’ll be one player who steps up to win it. Just not sure who that player is or from which team. A lot of good options.