Can Calab Williams pull an Elway or Manning

Vladimir L

He COULD, but if his Twitter feed is anything to go by he wants Chicago to take him. He's recently been "liking" tweets to get ingratiate himself, such as the one for the Bears owner's 101st birthday and weighed in on Jordan being better than LeBron (don't get that one wrong in Chicago). 

Frankly Chicago is probably by far the preferred destination in general. They weren't good this year, but they weren't the team that "earned" that draft slot. The defense is pretty good (once we got montez sweat and some pass rush), there's a bonafide #1 wr in dj Moore, and a top 10 tight end in Cole kmet, an established running back room, and a few pieces on the OL (though hot damn do we need a center.. And depth)... The point is its a vastly better situation than most teams picking 1st.

Then there's also the fact that Chicago is one of the biggest markets, doesn't share the city with another team, and frankly has an incredibly low bar performance wise to become an absolute legend around here. 

The flip side of that... Is of course, this organization likes find new and inventive ways to fail. Trading Fields and drafting caleb is the obvious and easy choice... So id bet that we run it back with "Justlegs Fields" and "coach Eberlose"... 

• Like 4

Anything is possible but I think that'd be something they'd know before the draft. If he's really dead set on playing elsewhere I could see the Bears and Commanders swapping the first two picks with Washington taking Caleb and the Bears landing Maye.

5 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

Can he refuse to play for the bears and them not draft him or trade him 

If he doesn't want to play for Chicago, he doesn't declare for the draft. NIL money ensures he doesn't have to do anything like this, he just stays at USC for another year and comes out in 2025.

It's similar to Andrew Luck staying at Stanford vs getting drafted by Carolina - only this time, Williams can tell everyone how much he's making.

• Like 1

As a Washington fan, I’m assuming you’re asking this question since D.C. is Williams’ hometown and you’re hoping he’ll try to force his way there?

It’s a pipe dream, man. It’s not going to happen. And it could be potentially disastrous for Williams to be drafted by his hometown team given some of the current red flags surrounding him. 

This draft season is going to be like 2012 all over again, where everyone knows who the top 2 picks will be, and in which order, but people won’t be able to help themselves with all the “what if?” scenarios. 

It’s gonna be a long few months. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

As a Washington fan, I’m assuming you’re asking this question since D.C. is Williams’ hometown and you’re hoping he’ll try to force his way there?

I feel like he's creating scenarios where this happens. I know, I did the same things last season with the Texans picking #2. Luckily for me, I was completely wrong on everything. Texans didn't move to 1.1, the guy I wanted was picked at 1.1, and I was stuck with "the other guy" at 1.2.

That whole exercise taught me one thing... that I really don't know as much as I like to pretend I know.

Hopefully our friend here can get behind Drake Maye, because I actually think this will be a similar situation - Williams is the coveted one, Maye is the better one.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

It probably wont mean much by the time the draft comes but he has already 'liked' social media posts saying that the Bears should pass on him and stick with Fields. For whatever thats worth.

The thought with that is the post wasn't just telling Chicago to stay with Fields but also doubting him specifically as a player. Probably just him bookmarking a post of one of his doubters for motivation. Within a few hours of that starting to become a story he had liked a post basically begging him to come save Chicago. 

Now the cynic in me does wonder if he's actually doing those, or if it's a social media manger/team on his or his agent's behalf. His social media presence that's been discussed does seem a bit "deliberate" for lack of a better word. 

Edited by Epyon

Just now, Epyon said:

The thought with that is the post wasn't just telling Chicago to stay with Fields but also doubting him specifically as a player. Probably just him bookmarking a post of one of his doubters for motivation. Within a few hours of that starting to become a story he had liked a post basically begging him to come save Chicago. 

Now the cynic in me does wonder if he's actually doing those, or if it's a social media manger/team on his or his agent's behalf. One of the things

This was also during the time where he was the guaranteed #1 'generational guy'. I think the landscape has changed a bit since then so it might be for nothing

I don't know Calab Williams, but there's a guy who is going to go #1 overall this year (Caleb Williams) who wouldn't do that.

Why would he refuse to play for the Bears and then end up with....New England? Arizona? NYG? Washington? LV?

All of those teams are rough for different reasons. At least Chicago, assuming they want him, has a legit #1 receiver, a decent run game, a good defense, and a solid OL. They also have draft capital to go get more weapons around him.

If he refused to play for Chicago, the team that acquired him would be a sucky squad that would be draining their resources to move up and get him.

It's not often where the team picking #1 isn't the least competent team in the NFL. This is a rare instance where he gets to go to a pretty decent team as a #1 pick.

He can but why would he? #1 overall landing spots could go a billion different ways and despite how i feel about the bears coaching staff it's way better than 2023's result. Plus the bar for QB play in Chicago is better than RG3 the 1st or Jay Cutlast.