2024 Offseason Free Agency

swede700

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Probably just a camp body.

And also insurance since Hockenson will not likely be ready for the season.

He also will have been a member of every team in the NFC North.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

Matt Bowen of ESPN posted top landing spots for the NFL’s top free agents, and when he arrived at Adoree’ Jackson, formerly of the Tennessee Titans and New York Giants, the Vikings were named the best fit.

Jackson, 28, spent the last three seasons in New York after four years in Tennessee. He was not re-signed by the Giants and remains on the open market. Bowen named-dropped Minnesota and explained, “The Vikings drafted cornerback Khyree Jackson out of Oregon in the fourth round of April’s draft. He’s long at 6-foot-4 and has the physical traits to challenge wide receivers. But there’s still a need to add cornerback depth for an aggressive defense under coordinator Brian Flores that will heat up the pocket. Last season, Minnesota led the NFL with a blitz rate of 49.4%. That’s a combination of zone and man pressure, which fits the aggressive coverage traits and eyes of Adoree’ Jackson.”

If the season began today, Minnesota would start two men from this group of contenders: Byron Murphy, Andrew Booth, Mekhi Blackmon, Shaquill Griffin, Akayleb Evans, and rookie Khyree Jackson.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/vikings-listed-as-landing-spot-for-former-1st-rounder

Defensive line coach Marcus Dixon: "I've always had a lot of respect for J.T. [Jerry Tillery] He played for one of my mentors, [Chargers defensive line coach] Giff Smith, so he kind of talked to me about him. He's a guy who's very athletic. He's a guy that you wouldn't believe what he weighs because he's so lean, but he's, like, 295. So, I'm very excited about him. Athletic guy. Former first-rounder. Very, very smart."

"He loves the team. He loves the room. He's always engaged. Very intense when you talk to him. It's almost like you feel like he's staring into space, but he's locked in. But he's been awesome."

"Jonathan Bullard does things the right way. He's the ultimate pro. He's the guy that when he does speak, they listen – including coaches, because you have respect for a guy like that. I respect Bull' because we know these practices are voluntary. And he's a guy that that could have stayed home, but he decided to come and wanted to build a relationship not only with me as a new d-line coach but with other guys that are coming in. I've got a lot of respect for Bull'."

https://www.vikings.com/news/marcus-dixon-reunites-with-kevin-o-connell-sizes-up-defensive-line

Real  question, what is Dalton Risner's contract worth?  I sure hope it is more than freaking $3 mil for the year which he got last year!

Great to bring him back and really helps that OL in general, I did not trust Brandel as a starting OG to be honest.  Sucks for Risner to not get a big pay day or a long term contract but good for the Vikings to get him cheap which I assume they did.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Real  question, what is Dalton Risner's contract worth?  I sure hope it is more than freaking $3 mil for the year which he got last year!

I would like to imagine he got a small raise from the Vikings in this latest deal. I know I'm going out on a huge limb here but I'm guessing it'll be between $3M and $5M. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Real  question, what is Dalton Risner's contract worth? 

all we know so far is...

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

The #Vikings are re-signing veteran guard Dalton Risner on a 1-year deal that has a signing bonus, per-game and 53-man bonuses and incentives if he’s the majority of season starter, sources say.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I would like to imagine he got a small raise from the Vikings in this latest deal. I know I'm going out on a huge limb here but I'm guessing it'll be between $3M and $5M. 

I am sure it is probably in that range, but for Risner as a football player it does suck.  He has started in 73 out of 77 games played as a professional in the NFL and he is barely even hanging on.  When to me he is a much better player than that.  He was very solid back in Denver and last year once he got caught up to everything he was a great addition and to me he was clearly better than Ezra Cleveland was at that same position.

Hope the best for the dude and for a strong season so he can get a real contract maybe for once.  But tons of NFL players are in the same boat, but few are constant starters like he is, there has to be some medical issue or something that is keeping teams from wanting a long term deal with him.

48 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I am sure it is probably in that range, but for Risner as a football player it does suck.  He has started in 73 out of 77 games played as a professional in the NFL and he is barely even hanging on.

To me I think he's clearly overvalued himself more than NFL teams value him. He's fine from a monetary standpoint as he's accumulated career earnings of just over $11M, that doesn't include the latest deal with the Vikings. Unless you meant barely hanging on to his NFL career.

It seems that while he's great in pass pro he leaves something to be desired in the run game? He'll be 29 at the end of July and with a good season, assuming he starts, I could see him netting a longer term deal (2-3 years) next season.

• Like 1

is it possible Risner doesn't gel well with his teammates, puts them off somehow?

are there any quotes from other Viking players about how much they appreciate or respect him?

i don't know, maybe there are. just throwing that out there.

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

are there any quotes from other Viking players about how much they appreciate or respect him?

I saw Darrisaw say he was excited that Risner was back and that he enjoyed playing next to him. I haven't seen anything positive/negative though.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I am sure it is probably in that range, but for Risner as a football player it does suck.  He has started in 73 out of 77 games played as a professional in the NFL and he is barely even hanging on.  When to me he is a much better player than that.  He was very solid back in Denver and last year once he got caught up to everything he was a great addition and to me he was clearly better than Ezra Cleveland was at that same position.

Hope the best for the dude and for a strong season so he can get a real contract maybe for once.  But tons of NFL players are in the same boat, but few are constant starters like he is, there has to be some medical issue or something that is keeping teams from wanting a long term deal with him.

Good OL are in high demand. Risner is not in high demand. It's pretty clear he thinks he is worth more than the entire league thinks he's worth.

He seems like a good dude and he is a good pass blocker, but his poor run blocking makes him a liability on about 50% of plays. That's why he has settled for one-year "prove-it" deals twice in a row.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sir Fobos said:

Good OL are in high demand. Risner is not in high demand. It's pretty clear he thinks he is worth more than the entire league thinks he's worth.

He seems like a good dude and he is a good pass blocker, but his poor run blocking makes him a liability on about 50% of plays. That's why he has settled for one-year "prove-it" deals twice in a row.

I do not see him as this awful run blocker, the Viking could not run the ball because they did not have that great of running backs to do it.  

Mattison and Chandler and that is it, and Chandler only came on late in the year when he got more carries.  Cam Akers was ok before he got hurt, Nwangwu missed basically the entire season as well so the backs had just as much to do with not being able to run the football.  Real tell will tell this year with Aaron Jones, if Jones is healthy and they cannot run the football then yeah sure could be partly the OL.

Because Aaron Jones was a monster the past what 5 games in the NFL he played last year and two were in playoff games, dude was legit and getting big time yards in all of those games.  His health is an issue though and maybe he will not hold up.   If that happens they could be in big trouble unless Chandler continues to improve which he should, or McBride takes a big step forward.  I am surprised they did not draft a back with so many out there or get a UDFA back.  They must be real comfortable with Chandler and he does have a chance no question.

But yes the market does say he is not that good, but one could argue some guys got big time contracts that are not that much better than Risner I would say.  And OG is clearly not a premium highly paid position either so that does hurt him.