2024 Offseason Free Agency

swede700

47 minutes ago, Boda said:

Dont count out my guy Bijan Robinson putting that team on his back with an actual passing game now.

Everyone likes to talk about Pitts being a huge beneficiary but I actually think that will be Bijan, time will tell 

Bijan is great and will be the best back Cousins has ever played with.  But again the tackles are not as good as Minnesota and the center could be an issue unless that is address.  Also Minnesota has a head coach that is way more offensive minded than Atlanta, the Vikings have a better QB coach as well now with McCown and an overall more elite top WR and TE.  So Cousins will have his work cutout for him coming off an Achilles tear which by the way is harder to recover from than the ACL tears Penix Jr had.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Bijan is great and will be the best back Cousins has ever played with.  But again the tackles are not as good as Minnesota and the center could be an issue unless that is address.  Also Minnesota has a head coach that is way more offensive minded than Atlanta, the Vikings have a better QB coach as well now with McCown and an overall more elite top WR and TE.  So Cousins will have his work cutout for him coming off an Achilles tear which by the way is harder to recover from than the ACL tears Penix Jr had.  

IDK I guess im just not a Cousins hater.  No disrespect to the people who are as I can see their POV but I do think a lot of different circumstances occurred to cause Cousin's not winning here.  He had to deal with a HC who wanted no part of him & forced him to be a QB he wasn't,  O-Line issues were very bad for a good 3 years atleast then there was the horrid Defense.  I don't remember the stats with the OL or the team defense but I remember seeing them somewhere and no other QB had to deal with it being anywhere near as bad, granted it wasn't my work but there were things that lead to the playoff outcomes.

Now granted a QB being paid top money should be able to overcome but it is what it is & is no longer our problem to deal with.  I just hope our next QB(not Darnold) can overcome some of those issues

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Boda said:

IDK I guess im just not a Cousins hater.  No disrespect to the people who are as I can see their POV but I do think a lot of different circumstances occurred to cause Cousin's not winning here.  He had to deal with a HC who wanted no part of him & forced him to be a QB he wasn't,  O-Line issues were very bad for a good 3 years atleast then there was the horrid Defense.  I don't remember the stats with the OL or the team defense but I remember seeing them somewhere and no other QB had to deal with it being anywhere near as bad, granted it wasn't my work but there were things that lead to the playoff outcomes.

Now granted a QB being paid top money should be able to overcome but it is what it is & is no longer our problem to deal with.  I just hope our next QB(not Darnold) can overcome some of those issues

Obviously the biggest issue with Kirk Cousins is the insanity amount of money he gets paid and the very little playoff wins the organization has to show for it.  

Sure that is not everything but in a business of winning and that is all that matters, yes I would rather pay players hundreds of millions that actually win games when it matters.  

Was it all Cousins fault, of course not but he is the QB so the blame does go right to him just as it goes to the Head Coach or GM.  

Cousins was brought into a good situation when he first got here, he was viewed as the missing link and that did not happen and the team never took the next step which is exactly why he was paid all of that money.  Now can he magically make Atlanta take that next step when really they have not been a playoff team since what 2017?  Will be interesting because could totally argue the Minnesota situation he was put in is generally better than the situation Atlanta is in.  Granted they have promising pieces on Atlanta for now that are cheap because they are rookies, but once new contracts are needed it is clearly harder because Cousins takes up so much money and unless they win veterans will not go there for cheap unless they think they can win a Super Bowl.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Guys, we have a Cousins thread.

Literally not high jacking the thread, just a simple thought and response. Sorry for any possible confusion guys but you should all know that sometimes a conversation can lead into another one.  I'll try my best to refrain from bringing up Kirk in any post outside of one specifically for him

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Getting a QB and rush LB in the first round of the draft was great.  The team doesn't have picks in the second or third round, which is fine considering what they used those picks to get. However, the team still has a hole at G. Given available options, I feel strongly that the Vikings should extend a UFA tender offer to Dalton Risner.

Risner might not sign until later since he is seemingly holding out hope for a team that will pay him what he thinks he is worth. By extending the UFA, the Vikings can have exclusive rights to Risner after training camps start. The tender would be under $3M for the year.  That's a good deal for a proven viable starter at a position the team doesn't have a proven starter on the roster.

I understand there doesn't seem to be a lot of support here for using the UFA tender on Risner, but I wanted to bring it up again after the early round of the draft to see if anyone else cares yet.

The NFL draft is over and late-stage free agency has begun, leaving teams like the Minnesota Vikings looking to fill positions of need they didn’t address via rookie additions.

The Vikings’ defense improved under new defensive coordinator Brian Flores during his first year with the team in 2023, but defending the pass was still an issue. Minnesota finished 24th in the NFL after allowing 3,986 yards through the air last season.

David Kenyon of Bleacher Report on Sunday, April 28 named the Vikings as a top potential landing spot for cornerback Xavien Howard, who the Miami Dolphins released earlier in the offseason in the interest of saving $18.5 million toward their salary cap.

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/minnesota-vikings/xavien-howard-brian-flores-khyree-jackson/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3o-05Gd18RGVHXmH8DxqpRkNNBvOvwTljfbfo4dvhyOc13jp10Wnbe3FM_aem_AacYWRLYCzytmLpyNw8WKJmcmqMSYdKBHV39BQbCLOkqIu_2_3-njuzeO3-FtEz-_onmigv7GtbbfXz7vHKphvPZ

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I just don’t see where Howard fits after the team signed Griffin. 

Yeah I don’t see the fit neither. I think that we have a bigger hole at the 3rd WR position. I don’t know how I feel about Brandon Powell, Trent Sherfield and Jalen Nailor. I really hope that we can add OBJ or Tyler Boyd to solidify the slot receiver spot. OBJ was great for the Rams and helped get them to the Super Bowl. With that connection there in Kevin O’Connell’s system and Justin Jefferson’s long standing friendship, I don’t see why it won’t work out. A one year deal would be ideal in my opinion. Jefferson, Addison and OBJ would be a nightmare to face for any secondary in the NFL. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Yeah I don’t see the fit neither. I think that we have a bigger hole at the 3rd WR position. I don’t know how I feel about Brandon Powell, Trent Sherfield and Jalen Nailor. I really hope that we can add OBJ or Tyler Boyd to solidify the slot receiver spot. OBJ was great for the Rams and helped get them to the Super Bowl. With that connection there in Kevin O’Connell’s system and Justin Jefferson’s long standing friendship, I don’t see why it won’t work out. A one year deal would be ideal in my opinion. Jefferson, Addison and OBJ would be a nightmare to face for any secondary in the NFL. 

OBJ has been a non-factor for the last 4 years. He's the current version of Dez Bryant...keeps getting consideration on name only. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, swede700 said:

OBJ has been a non-factor for the last 4 years. He's the current version of Dez Bryant...keeps getting consideration on name only. 

And I definitely don’t see him accepting the WR3 role. I don’t think he’d be a great fit in the locker room. 

He seemed to wear out his welcome pretty quick in Baltimore. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And I definitely don’t see him accepting the WR3 role. I don’t think he’d be a great fit in the locker room. 

You would think he would be hurt to see the positive attention Jefferson gets.

Hard pass. This isn't a Madden game, it's real life.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Like I said in my original post, he helped the Rams get to the Super Bowl and was playing well in the Super Bowl before he injured his knee. That was only 2 years ago. He also looked good on the Ravens and had a couple of 100 yard games, even though they were a run heavy offense. 

50 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

He seemed to wear out his welcome pretty quick in Baltimore. 

He literally did this last year. He was the 3rd or 4th WR behind Zay Flowers, Rashod Bateman and Nelson Agolor. He accepted his role and played well in my opinion. You obviously weren’t watching, but you have an opinion on it. 

32 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

You would think he would be hurt to see the positive attention Jefferson gets.

Hard pass. This isn't a Madden game, it's real life.

Justin Jefferson’s brother and OBJ were roommates in college, and Jefferson has said time and time again that they have a big brother, little brother relationship. Normally people don’t refer to someone as a big brother if they sense some jealousy. You don’t know OBJ personally and for you to assume that he’d be jealous is funny to me. 

• Like 1