2024 Offseason Free Agency

swede700

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

Signing a depth CB to potentially lose a 3rd round pick seems like a really bad move by KAM. 

I'd rather have signed Tre White to see if he has anything left in the tank. Since he was cut, he wouldn't count in the formula.

Let's see how it all shakes out before casting any stones.  There is a long way to go before anything is set in stone.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Let's see how it all shakes out before casting any stones.  There is a long way to go before anything is set in stone.

my, what a novel approach...

setting aside time to analyze results, instead of assuming what they would be immediately and reacting. brilliant!

• Like 1

It's often futile to contemplate the potential of a compensatory pick (which is at the end of the round anyway) in evaluating moves to improve the team to compete in the current year.  😉

• Like 1

Have any of the comp picks over the last 3-4 years done anything in the NFL? I ask because it seems that a bit too much stock is put into obtaining comp picks. Are they nice? Yes. Do I see them as particularly valuable in a pure value standpoint? Not really. I guess they are more valuable now that they can be traded. But I wouldn’t alter my roster building this year because I might lose a comp pick next year. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Have any of the comp picks over the last 3-4 years done anything in the NFL? I ask because it seems that a bit too much stock is put into obtaining comp picks. Are they nice? Yes. Do I see them as particularly valuable in a pure value standpoint? Not really. I guess they are more valuable now that they can be traded. But I wouldn’t alter my roster building this year because I might lose a comp pick next year. 

I mean, they are essentially 4th round picks.....which have a very low chance of ever contributing much. 

That last part is key. A bird in the hand, afterall....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Wouldn't you rather have the chance than not?

Certainly...but, I'm not going to worry about that as in regards to a player that can contribute today.  I can't speak for all teams, but I imagine that those that generally accumulate comp picks are those that have depth on their roster today that can pick up for those that leave.  The Vikings don't have that luxury currently.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, vike daddy said:

my, what a novel approach...

setting aside time to analyze results, instead of assuming what they would be immediately and reacting. brilliant!

Understanding and utilizing the comp formula is setting aside time to analyze results.

If we end up losing a Day 2 pick next year for a depth CB, it's a terrible move by our GM. 

The reason we don't have a lot of depth at some positions on the roster was because this same GM completely blew the 2022 draft.

Don't get me wrong, I think KAM has a vision for this team, and I think he's done well trading for Hockenson and drafted much better in the 2023 draft. However he's made some questionable moves that can, or already have negatively impacted the team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Understanding and utilizing the comp formula is setting aside time to analyze results.

If we end up losing a Day 2 pick next year for a depth CB, it's a terrible move by our GM. 

The reason we don't have a lot of depth at some positions on the roster was because this same GM completely blew the 2022 draft.

Don't get me wrong, I think KAM has a vision for this team, and I think he's done well trading for Hockenson and drafted much better in the 2023 draft. However he's made some questionable moves that can, or already have negatively impacted the team.

Do we know that he will be a depth guy and not a starter? Maybe they want to see if Flores can work his magic with him and if not cut him before the deadline 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

If I lost a job opportunity that potentially could have paid me more next year (I don't know if it would or not as it's not guaranteed), but doing so right now would have made me homeless because I needed to pay rent this month, is that a terrible move? 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1