New OC Candidates - Workin towards Waldron (pg 18)

StLunatic88

8 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Would you like all of football or just NFL?

Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan just off the top. Thats not even including the guys who dont currently have jobs (Belichick/Carroll) And even after that, at his best, hes around Mike Vrabel and Sean McDermott. There is a reason he left the NFL guys.

And if you wanted to say College, sure hes Top 5 there. But before Saban just retired he for sure wasnt Top 3 (Saban, Kirby Smart and Dabo Sweeny are all ahead of him) he is fighting for the 4/5 spot with Brian Kelly and Kyle Whittingham to me. 

The stroke job he gets because he is a football weirdo just baffles me. Hes a good coach, but he will be leaving just about every job he's had in trouble when he bolts. 

LOVe my BYU guy AReid but he didn't win until he got GOAT Mahomes, what has Tomlin done wo Big Ben, Jon Harbaugh YEs, equal to or maybe a tick better than his brother, Sean Mcvay is there too, shanahan lmao is tier 2, probably tier 3. Jim Harbaugh dominated the NFC with Colon frikn KAepernick

Belichick and Carrol DeFINATELY top 5 but both hella old and most likely done, Saban too

Harbaugh at the Vrabel Mcdermott level,  Smart Dabo AHEAD 😳 fighting w kelly and kyle Whittingham ?? you've got some serious JH hate my friend 

4 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

LOVe my BYU guy AReid but he didn't win until he got GOAT Mahomes, what has Tomlin done wo Big Ben, Jon Harbaugh YEs, equal to or maybe a tick better than his brother, Sean Mcvay is there too, shanahan lmao is tier 2, probably tier 3. Jim Harbaugh dominated the NFC with Colon frikn KAepernick

Belichick and Carrol DeFINATELY top 5 but both hella old and most likely done, Saban too

Harbaugh at the Vrabel Mcdermott level,  Smart Dabo AHEAD 😳 fighting w kelly and kyle Whittingham ?? you've got some serious JH hate my friend 

Andy Reid didnt win till Mahomes? Are you just saying Super Bowls are "winning"? Because if thats the case Jim hasn't done anything in the NFL, thats by your standards remember

What has Tomlin done!!??? You cant be serious now? Other thasn quite literally never having a losing season, I guess hes done nothing in the league

Shanahan tier 3 coach? You are either trying to be a troll or you are just lost now

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Andy Reid didnt win till Mahomes? Are you just saying Super Bowls are "winning"? Because if thats the case Jim hasn't done anything in the NFL, thats by your standards remember

What has Tomlin done!!??? You cant be serious now? Other thasn quite literally never having a losing season, I guess hes done nothing in the league

Shanahan tier 3 coach? You are either trying to be a troll or you are just lost now

apologies, I think maybe I wasn't very clear. McVay is Top of the top tier.  Yes, Reid and Tomlin are all CLEARly tier 1 along with both Harbaughs, but neither are FAR and away BETTER  than Jim. Jim came up just short of SB title w a guy like Kaepernick, and DiD win it at the college level, I believe only Carroll and Jimmy Johnson have done this  

I'm not ready to put Shanahan in the above category, I need to see more in POs.  Belickek and Carroll definitely belong in tier 1 but both done, Saban also done and never did it at the pro level

troll is putting Harbaugh in a class w vrabel whittingham debo mcdermott 

1 minute ago, SLCbear said:

troll is putting Harbaugh in a class w vrabel whittingham debo mcdermott 

Debo is a much better College Coach than Harbaugh, he is doing this at CLEMSON, a wasteland before he got there. And Kyle Whittingham is the most underrated coach in all of college football, the fact that he is anywhere close to these other teams while coaching at Utah is a testament to that. Harbaugh underachieved his entire time at Michigan (one of the true powerhouse programs in College) until the last 3 years.

Jim Harbaugh hasnt coached in the NFL in nearly a decade, and is likely bringing with him the mindset of someone in 2015, which is completely behind the 8ball at this point. Until he has proven that he has adapted to the newst age of the NFL, putting him with Vrabel and McDermott (guys who have actually won in the league recently) is more than fair, and not a slight in the least. You are putting him on a pedestal that he has yet to deserve at this point, as nothing he has done at Michigan says that he is ready for this era of the NFL

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

I've been bitching about that for a hot minute. lol

It's just such an obvious thing Fields does well that Getsy just eliminated...not only did it impact Fields but DJ Moore is one of the best slant runners in the NFL and we barely ever saw it...

I watched a lot of Texans games this year and the amount of drags they ran to always give Stroud an option crossing his face was such a cheat code for them because it tool what would be a 2nd & 10 down to a 2nd & 6...it kept Stroud in a rhythem...it drew safeties up and then let him take one on one shots to the outside and the reason Stroud was so good at it this season is because it is exactly what they guys done at Ohio State...

Attacking the middle of the field not only horizontally but then vertically is exactly what we need to do with Fields behind a continued strong rushing and play action attack...get him under center far more as well...

A guy like Waldron or anyone from that scheme should be doing that giving their background.

Interesting that Flus said the phone was ringing with coaches wanting to come here and they had a shortlist but so far they have only asked to speak to Waldron...

No Rooney Rule for coordinators so they can hire someone straight away...

Maybe they want to try and lock up Waldron quick and if they can't get him then move on to the shortlist.

One thing here, is ENTIRELY regardless of whether he's a "serious" OC  candidate or not, I'd want to bring Kliff Kingsbury in for a long sit down interview.

He was Mahomes' coach at Texas Tech, and is currently the QB coach at USC..... He knows Caleb and Mahomes as good as basically anyone. Also since he was Arizona's HC when they took Murray, he also has some experience dealing with how that specific brand of air raid style translates to the NFL both from a coach/playcalling AND from a rookie QB's perspective.  That's all very valuable information, and completely separate from whether he'd get the job or not.

Edited by Epyon

34 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Interesting that Flus said the phone was ringing with coaches wanting to come here and they had a shortlist but so far they have only asked to speak to Waldron...

No Rooney Rule for coordinators so they can hire someone straight away...

Maybe they want to try and lock up Waldron quick and if they can't get him then move on to the shortlist.

I wonder if the Waldron situation was a bit of a surprise, to both sides. 

I know there were some whispers about Pete stepping away, but there wasnt much concrete and they were almost in the playoffs again. Maybe until yesterday (or the day before) Pete was set on another year in Seattle, as he sure does seem eager to get back to coaching relatively quickly. And them wanting to completely clear house gave us a much better option than even who they were already thinking about in Waldron, and now the rest of the list is on pause till they get to talk to him?

How differently would some look at that Week 18 Packers game if the loss got us our new OC?

10 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I wonder if the Waldron situation was a bit of a surprise, to both sides. 

I know there were some whispers about Pete stepping away, but there wasnt much concrete and they were almost in the playoffs again. Maybe until yesterday (or the day before) Pete was set on another year in Seattle, as he sure does seem eager to get back to coaching relatively quickly. And them wanting to completely clear house gave us a much better option than even who they were already thinking about in Waldron, and now the rest of the list is on pause till they get to talk to him?

How differently would some look at that Week 18 Packers game if the loss got us our new OC?

I mean it's the only reason I can think to not seemingly request anyone today...

I guess it is a great selling point if they can go to Waldron and say "you are our first and only choice until you tell us no" that is a pretty powerful endorsement and message to anyone you are trying to offer a job too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Does this make Waldron look good? 20th in the league isn't getting me excited.

But is this an OC stat or a QB stat or maybe both? How much of Waldron or Getsy's "unwillingness" to throw over the middle is the QB choosing not to go there?

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I mean it's the only reason I can think to not seemingly request anyone today

They only have to request for people already on an nfl staff iirc

As i said above they may want to interview Kingsbury just to get info on Caleb, and that requires no formal request