New OC Candidates - Workin towards Waldron (pg 18)

StLunatic88

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

They more than likely do...

Truth is if they came out and said they had decided on someone a lot of people would say "well they didn't even consider all the options out there" 

The truth of the matter is no one can win a press conference like today...the smart thing to do is say you are going to sit back and be methodical even if you know exactly who is getting the job so you can then tell your fan base you looked under every rock and this was the best candidate.

8 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Again, people are reading way too much into the coach/exec speak from press conferences.  Its very likely they already know who they want, or at least one of a couple guys.  

When asked about Harbaugh, Poles demeanor and answer strongly indicated that Harbaugh was not even an option ! and that Flus is the ANSWER !!

How can FLUS be the answer without KNOWING exACTLY WHAT the OC WILL BE ??!

.... he and Poles sit there and talk about oh we hope to explore all of that and find out in the interviews  

My point is that you can't keep Flus, not even TRY for Harbaugh UNLESS YOU HAVE A SURE THING AT OC, or someone you strongly believe is a sure thing ! They are FEELING IT OUT 😳

Edited by SLCbear
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SLCbear said:

When asked about Harbaugh, Poles demeanor and answer strongly indicated that Harbaugh was not even an option ! and that Flus is the ANSWER !!

How can FLUS be the answer without KNOWING exACTLY WHAT the OC WILL BE ??!

.... he and Poles sit there and talk about oh we hope to explore all of that and find out in the interviews  

My point is that you can't keep Flus, not even TRY for Harbaugh UNLESS YOU HAVE AN SURE THING AT OC 

I mean you can...and they did...

The answer on Harbaugh had to be strong...no way any GM is turning round at the presser to say he is keeping his HC and saying he flirted with another coach...that would be stupidity...

And again they probably do have a sure thing at OC but they can't just come out and say it...the same as they probably know exactly what they are doing at QB this offseason...but can't just come out and say it...timing is everything.

• Like 1

Just now, Madmike90 said:

I mean you can...and they did...

The answer on Harbaugh had to be strong...no way any GM is turning round at the presser to say he is keeping his HC and saying he flirted with another coach...that would be stupidity...

And again they probably do have a sure thing at OC but they can't just come out and say it...the same as they probably know exactly what they are doing at QB this offseason...but can't just come out and say it...timing is everything.

1 minute ago, TankWilliams said:

Do people really think he was going to sit next to Flus and at the same time say "Yes, we reached out to Harbaugh and seriously evaluated bringing him in"?  Your expectations of these press conferences is wayyy out of whack.

I understand the diff be coach/GM speak and sincere openness. The OC stuff was sincere openness, the Harbaugh answer was borderline sincere openess 

Harbaugh is one of the top 3/5 coaches on the planet ! Flus is Flus (DC✔️HC?), Poles has done some strong things as a young GM ....you cannot NOT look into Harbaugh !!! Just put Flus at the top bc you BELIEVE 

They will explore during OC interviews, I promise you 

As far as Harbaugh, Poles had that 'he's the coach of Michigan' bullet in the chamber ready to go, and a likely inference is that warren and poles value continuity over any havoc harbaughs methods will inevitably bring ...I can live with this but the OC thing is VERY uNSETTLING, that was a sincere answer from Poles/Flus

Just now, SLCbear said:

I understand the diff be coach/GM speak and sincere openness. The OC stuff was sincere openness, the Harbaugh answer was borderline sincere openess 

Harbaugh is one of the top 3/5 coaches on the planet ! Flus is Flus (DC✔️HC?), Poles has done some strong things as a young GM ....you cannot NOT look into Harbaugh !!! Just put Flus at the top bc you BELIEVE 

They will explore during OC interviews, I promise you 

As far as Harbaugh, Poles had that 'he's the coach of Michigan' bullet in the chamber ready to go, and a likely inference is that warren and poles value continuity over any havoc harbaughs methods will inevitably bring ...I can live with this but the OC thing is VERY uNSETTLING, that was a sincere answer from Poles/Flus

Did you make sure the lie detector straps were properly attached when you determined that Poles was 100% truthful in all his answers

Also, he answered to say he hadn't engaged with anyone, that doesn't mean Kevin Warren or some other team rep didn't do it behind the scenes.  He is of course going to say they did not have any doubts about Flus because they want their bet to succeed.  They don't want to demoralize him or the fanbase by saying "well we doubted him but we couldn't convince anyone else to join"

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

Harbaugh is one of the top 3/5 coaches on the planet

Ooook now we’ve gone off the deep end

You want to call him one of the hottest/most sought after right now? The most fawned over (especially by Bears fans, in the almost creepy “Michigan Man” way) yea I’ll give you that. But even with THE best Coach on the planet retiring today, he’s still not that high  

He’s Not even the best coach in his own family

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I like the scheme no doubt...I worry about the reaction at the end of that Saints game...seems like a guy who it was all getting a bit much for and yeah going back to being an OC might help him with that but I think adding that sort of personality along with Flus might not be best...

Wouldn't hate it but would have concerns...another guy who could be interesting out there is Byron Leftwich if we really want to do to a true vertical offence,

I can't fault him for that... he thought Dennis Allen gave the 'ok' to pull that stunt and he didn't.

It was a classless move by the Saints.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

It was a classless move by the Saints.

More of a philosophical thing, but I disagree.   If you can score, you score. If they can't stop you, then they should play better defense.

I grew up with a martial arts background, and it was always a sticking point that holding back in any way is the disrespectful act. Always show them your best, and then they can more accurately evaluate where they actually stand, and hopefully improve.  Honestly, one of the worst moments in Bears' recent history to me was Trubisky's 6 TD game against the Buccaneers..... because he had time to get 9 and absolutely destroy the NFL record, and instead we wasted a huge chunk of the game only killing clock, because of soft coaches/coaching. If it's working, it's the other team's job to stop it.

Then again my favorite sports quote in history was Ohio State opting to go for a 2pnt conversion at the end of the game, despite already having a substantial lead. When asked in the post game presser about why he would go for two, he replied "because I couldn't go for 3"..... Now apparently that quote never actually happened, and that makes me sad, but I stand by the sentiment behind it.

Edited by Epyon

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ooook now we’ve gone off the deep end

You want to call him one of the hottest/most sought after right now? The most fawned over (especially by Bears fans, in the almost creepy “Michigan Man” way) yea I’ll give you that. But even with THE best Coach on the planet retiring today, he’s still not that high  

He’s Not even the best coach in his own family

That may be true but I'd say he'd be the best coach since Halas himself in Chicago. Not the highest bar mind you, but still. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G08 said:

This could be sweet, look what he did with Geno Smith.

Geno came out of nowhere, but even with that their offense has been pretty middle of the pack overall despite having one of the best WR groups in the league and a really strong starting RB in Walker. I wouldn’t hate Waldron, but I’m not sure that I’d be doing cartwheels about it if he ends up being our guy.

I’m surprised more people aren’t all in on the idea of Kellen Moore. His Dallas offenses consistently ranked highly. Dak has some runner traits and they certainly use his mobility, and he attacks downfield a whole lot. All of that fits both Fields and Williams. Dak’s best two years before 2023 were under Moore. His offense with the Chargers was middle of the pack statistically despite having basically no running game (Ekeler hit the wall hard this year) and just 1 WR who also missed a month. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dafreak said:

This could low key be a very good hire. Waldron has built up a pretty good reputation around the league and has done some nice things with Geno and that offense in Seattle. Not to mention he comes from the McVay/Shanahan tree which could be an easy transition if they're keeping JF.

My other top candidates as of now are Bieniemy, Bevell, Moore and Roman. Need someone proven and not another shot in the dark like Getsy was.

Edited by topwop1

The OC I want depends on who the Bears go for with QB. If it is Fields then give me Greg Roman. You may need to get someone in as a Passing Game Coordinator to help him a bit but he does a great job of getting the QB to move and usually release the ball on time. Like Lamar, Fields would find himself playing hero ball and being aggressive but that's who he is. You wouldn't ask Favre to do a dink and dunk offense that requires surgical precision and super fast reads, nor would you want Manning doing a bunch of bootlegs and scrambles. Play to his ******* strengths, for once... 

If they go Moore (my top option), Waldron, or EB I wonder if there would be a higher chance of them moving on from Fields. LAC and WAS were top 5 in the league in passing attempts. I could definitely see them wanting to work with Fields' arm talent and getting the athletic gifts he has to move the pocket and launch points, but I wonder how Fields would fit in their schemes. I think it may be a similar mismatch to Getsy's, but you're dealing with OCs that are simply better at their job than Getsy ever could be. 

SEA was more balanced, and I think a better fit for Fields. Seemed to be a bit lower volume but more deep shots, which fits Fields better IMO. That and the support of a strong run game should be key to help Fields. I'm not a huge Olsen fan but if he gets brought over for QB coach I'd be pretty happy. Might not be the highest ceiling option but he has a TON of experience to draw from. 

• Like 1