New OC Candidates - Workin towards Waldron (pg 18)

StLunatic88

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Okay that's fine.   But they are up there arguing continuity is important.  

Big difference between learning a 4-3 from one coach to another and learning a whole different offense with all different terminology every year or two.

Even continuity from a single OC will still have offensive play design changes and some scheme tweaks from year to year if the OC is doing their job well.  Players are used to some variance and if they aren't, they aren't long for the league.  It'll be good to stick with the same general concepts, but that's certainly possible to do with 2 different offensive coordinators who call the same sort of scheme.  This is all the hypothetical situation in which we have such a successful offense that someone feels its worth while.  The only time it has happened to the Bears that I can recall is Adam Gase to Miami.  I wouldn't worry about that too much

Edited by TankWilliams

8 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I mean, yeah that can be problem, but if it was such a problem that was unsurmountable you would never ever see a defensive head coach ever.

I don't know why they do frankly.

It helps that a lot of coaches run the same plays from scheme to scheme.

They all have several passing concepts that overlap.  They all run OZ and IZ.   Etc.

But there are enough differences that having same offensive coach/scheme is a big advantage IMO.  You can work on nuance and execution rather cramming basics.  You also get through your reads faster with same concept reps, you see same play against different coverages, etc.

Edited by dll2000

With it being confirmed Chris Morgan is staying on staff regardless of the new OC I would full expect this to be another "Shanahan" type guy...if we can keep the rushing attack the same and just find a coach who can actually implement route concepts that challenge defences and helps players get open we are in a good spot...I suspect the list comes down to someone from the following staffs (we won't go the GB route again)...

49ers

Dolphins

Rams

Seattle

Bengals

Browns

Texans

Panthers

Bucs

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Okay that's fine.   But they are up there arguing continuity is important.  

Big difference between learning a 4-3 from one coach to another and learning a whole different offense with all different terminology every year or two.

Most of the successful offenses in the league are all variations of like 3 philosophies at this point. The terminology is very similar in most. It’s not like learning French one year and then Mandarin two years later.

And this hypothetical that many of you keep putting out there of we get a new OC and they are SO successful in 2 years that they will be poached by everyone with an opening almost never happens that fast. And guess what, if we are somehow THAT successful in 2 years, you won’t care at all. 

Plus it likely means we have a QB that is so good that it doesn’t really matter who their OC is. 

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Most of the successful offenses in the league are all variations of like 3 philosophies at this point. The terminology is very similar in most. It’s not like learning French one year and then Mandarin two years later.

And this hypothetical that many of you keep putting out there of we get a new OC and they are SO successful in 2 years that they will be poached by everyone with an opening almost never happens that fast. And guess what, if we are somehow THAT successful in 2 years, you won’t care at all. 

Plus it likely means we have a QB that is so good that it doesn’t really matter who their OC is. 

That is where I disagree. 

You will want to lose perhaps the author of that success?  Or are you prepared to assume that it was all the player and not the coach and it will continue without him?

I am not sure many Bears fans will agree at that time should we cross that bridge.  

I guess we will see.  

Just now, dll2000 said:

That is where I disagree. 

You will want to lose perhaps the author of that success?  Or are you prepared to assume that it was all the player and not the coach and it will continue without him?

I am not sure many Bears fans will agree at that time should we cross that bridge.  

I guess we will see.  

People said the same thing when Daboll left Buffalo and while they have had some inconsistencies, Josh Allen is still a top 5 QB in the league.  A good QB will transcend all

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

People said the same thing when Daboll left Buffalo and while they have had some inconsistencies, Josh Allen is still a top 5 QB in the league.  A good QB will transcend all

Not to mention, its usually the QB that makes the OCs career, much less often the other way around

Just think abut how many OC and HC jobs Manning, Brady and Rodgers have gotten alone

Guys I hope we speak with...

Shane Waldron

Frank Smith

Mike LaFleur

Alex Van Pelt

Guys I think are more realistic...

Darrell Bevell

Klint Kubiak

Greg Olson

Zach Robinson/Jake Peetz

Dan Pitcher

Thomas Brown

Liam Cohen (Kentucky OC)

These for me are the best "Shanahan/McVey" guys out there just now.

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Not to mention, its usually the QB that makes the OCs career, much less often the other way around

Just think abut how many OC and HC jobs Manning, Brady and Rodgers have gotten alone

So Fields WAS to blame the last 3 years?!?!

#JusticeForGetsyandNotAnIdiotNagy!!!!

• Like 2

Chris Morgan was on Darrell Bevell's staff for a year in Seattle back in 2014...

For me Bevell probably brings the best combination of experience, QB development, scheme fit and longevity where he isn't going to be scooped up to become a HC somewhere else...

Fields best traits as a passer are mesh concepts with horizontal routes and attack vertical seems...Miami's offence right now attacks the middle of the field probably better than any team in the NFL (49ers & Texans are up there too)...take another explosive WR like Nabers and can he and DJ recreate that Hill/Waddle pairing to some extent?

How do Poles and Flus not have a clear plan at OC ???? They talk about feeling it out to get the right this and that and want to have these exploratory talks during interviews ...its great to opine and to draw up new 'groundbreaking' **** on a whiteboard, none of this proves out WINS  on a real life NFL FOOTBALL FIELD 

WHY DON't THEY KNOW EXACTLY WHO AND WHAT THEY WANT IN AN OC ??! This bothered me aLOT 😡 

3 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

How do Poles and Flus not have a clear plan at OC ???? They talk about feeling it out to get the right this and that and want to have these exploratory talks during interviews ...its great to opine and to draw up new 'groundbreaking' **** on a whiteboard, none of this proves out WINS  on a real life NFL FOOTBALL FIELD 

WHY DON't THEY KNOW EXACTLY WHO AND WHAT THEY WANT IN AN OC ??! This bothered me aLOT 😡 

Again, people are reading way too much into the coach/exec speak from press conferences.  Its very likely they already know who they want, or at least one of a couple guys.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SLCbear said:

They more than likely do...

Truth is if they came out and said they had decided on someone a lot of people would say "well they didn't even consider all the options out there" 

The truth of the matter is no one can win a press conference like today...the smart thing to do is say you are going to sit back and be methodical even if you know exactly who is getting the job so you can then tell your fan base you looked under every rock and this was the best candidate.

• Like 1