Divisional Round: San Francisco 49ers vs Green Bay Packers

It feels like we have been off forever since week 18 did not mean and we had a bye week in the first round but now the fun begins! First up, the Green Bay Packers....

I thought the Cowboys defense was there to be had and Love had been playing lights out ball, but I could never have guessed their offense to dominate the way they did. The Packers defense had two big INTs in the first half that led to 14 points which really helped but the story of the game was the Packers offense. They were super impressive and had receivers running wide open all game long. Great performance.

Offensively, I think we mix in the run early on but we really try to take advantage of the Packers backers and corners in the passing game. I think we can get to the edge in the run game but our receivers have an advantage this game. If Alexander plays, it changes things a bit but he came in the game with an ankle out and it seemed like his ankle gave out on him in the 3rd quarter. That is something to watch during the week. Kittle in the intermediate game will have his opportunities and I think he gets one over the top on a seam route at some point in the game. The early forecast is light rain so it shouldn't impact our passing game all that much.

Defensively, we really have to be on point and hope the extra rest gets these guys back to form. Really glad that Armstead is back and it looks like Brown/Thomas will be ready to go as well. The Packers WRs are very young and solid all around and they can take advantage in all areas of the field. The play actions is something we will have to deal with but that's why it is going to be very important to limit Jones and the Packers running game. If we can slow Jones down and take the play action element away, then that could change things to our favor. It will not be easy as Love has been lights out for damn near half the season now and they have a very good offensive scheme. Kyle has fared well against his peers but this will not be an easy challenge. I am predicting a big Chase Young postseason and it starts this game. Getting Ferrell out of the line up was the best thing for this DL. Young/Gregory/Bosa need ALL the reps at the edge. The Packers pass blocking ranks amongst the best in the league so it will not be easy but we have a lot of talent and should be able to get home enough.

Will be a fun game but one we should win.

49ers 34

Packers 24

• Like 1

I forgot to add that the Packers defense played almost 90 snaps and looked very tired towards the end of the game. They will be on a short week and coming off a game playing a lot of snaps. This is a game our offense should be able to break this defense down as the game goes on. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mrscottso said:

Not at all. Love had all day to throw the ball. That wont be the case next week.

I mean our pass rush has not exactly been lighting the world on fire as of late and the Packers pass blocking is top 5 in the league. Don't be too sure about him not having all day even though I am not predicting that. With Armstead back and Young getting more snaps, our pass rush should be just fine and come away with 3-5 sacks and numerous pressures. The key will be to forcing Love into an INT or two. If the Packers run game is going from the get go and the play action is effective, then our back end is going to be in for a very tough night. Can't have that happen. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mrscottso said:

Not at all. Love had all day to throw the ball. That wont be the case next week.

As J said, I'm not so sure about that. Its probably the one area where I'm a little concerned. Games like that Vikings game happened far too often this year (not to that extreme, but still). However, ultimately I'm just banking on our offense being better than their offense in terms of performance and I think that our lines legs go pretty quickly now. The week off will hopefully do wonders. Having Armstead back is huge. Hopefully he can make it through the game because he can be such an impact. He was a monster two years ago in the playoffs. He's such a good run defender that it really allows us to keep the run front light and focus on the pass, which is a monster advantage. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

As J said, I'm not so sure about that. Its probably the one area where I'm a little concerned. Games like that Vikings game happened far too often this year (not to that extreme, but still). However, ultimately I'm just banking on our offense being better than their offense in terms of performance and I think that our lines legs go pretty quickly now. The week off will hopefully do wonders. Having Armstead back is huge. Hopefully he can make it through the game because he can be such an impact. He was a monster two years ago in the playoffs. He's such a good run defender that it really allows us to keep the run front light and focus on the pass, which is a monster advantage. 

You hit the nail on the head when you said Niners offense as that's basically what's gonna determine the outcome as if the Niners score like they normally do then it'll be enough to get by but should the Niners offense stumble then that'll allow Jordan Love & the Packers offense to play with a lead and we all know how that story ends.

3 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

You hit the nail on the head when you said Niners offense as that's basically what's gonna determine the outcome as if the Niners score like they normally do then it'll be enough to get by but should the Niners offense stumble then that'll allow Jordan Love & the Packers offense to play with a lead and we all know how that story ends.

I've long thought that the niners offense was going to be what wins them a super bowl (which maybe puts unfortunate expectations on Purdy), but I still think the 49ers defense is fully capable of making some stops and they are also turnover hounds.  I just don't count on the defense to flat out win the team games any more. The defense did most of the heavy lifting against Dallas last year and I just don't think we can count on that kind of performance with this year's squad, despite them actually being third in points against this year lol.  

I'll take the Packers plus the points, I don't think that this is a double digit win, but 31-27, that kind of score I can see. 

But again, I thought Dallas was better on both sides of the ball than Green Bay, so we will see how it plays out. 

The thing that scares me, and will always scare me with a Shanny team, is that we are such a rhythm based squad. When the machine is greased up and running smoothly, they are the best or second best team in the league.  When something causes a hiccup in that machine, things get a little wonky and I get a little concerned. I feel like when thing go wrong for this team, it snowballs. It's not just one thing, its 5 things. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I've long thought that the niners offense was going to be what wins them a super bowl (which maybe puts unfortunate expectations on Purdy), but I still think the 49ers defense is fully capable of making some stops and they are also turnover hounds.  I just don't count on the defense to flat out win the team games any more. The defense did most of the heavy lifting against Dallas last year and I just don't think we can count on that kind of performance with this year's squad, despite them actually being third in points against this year lol.  

I'll take the Packers plus the points, I don't think that this is a double digit win, but 31-27, that kind of score I can see. 

But again, I thought Dallas was better on both sides of the ball than Green Bay, so we will see how it plays out. 

The thing that scares me, and will always scare me with a Shanny team, is that we are such a rhythm based squad. When the machine is greased up and running smoothly, they are the best or second best team in the league.  When something causes a hiccup in that machine, things get a little wonky and I get a little concerned. I feel like when thing go wrong for this team, it snowballs. It's not just one thing, its 5 things. 

Yes I agree as I'm on the same page with you with regards to the Niners defense as asking them to be the 2000 Ravens or 2015 Broncos is asking way too much. Even the 1994 Niners were an offense first team with a defense that was assembled for the sole purpose of beating the Dallas Cowboys lol!

We kind of just have to wait & see how the offense handles the Green Bay defense as like you said if the rhythm is on then you're gonna see lots of drives end in the endzone but if the rhythm is off then we have games like the Browns, Vikings, Bengals & Ravens. Fortunately for the Niners the Packers defense is not like the Ravens. But what the Niners can't do is make the Packers defense look better than they really are b/c I've seen teams make other teams all of a sudden look great at doing things they don't normally do good. 

Also keep an eye on special teams as the Packers KO guy Kesion Mixon is dangerous and all kicks must be booted through the endzone so they can't burn the Niners with big returns. 

I also see a very close game that doesn't get decided until late in the 4th and hopefully it's a win but the game could go either way. It's not a slam dunk like today's Bills/Steelers game where everyone knows its a Bills win.

Getting after Love will be key on defense and having Armstead back will be key for containing Aaron Jones. Love is playing fantastic football and is making a lot of backyard football throws, he will eventually find the open receiver. They have a lot of young receivers/te that are playing fantastic! 

Offensively, it’s already been mentioned but we need to attack the middle of the field. Deebo and Kittle should both have big games, esp Kittle! I feel like Jaire will follow Aiyuk all game. CMC will keep doing special things. 

Weather concerns me, but I think it should be cleared by the time we play, but we’ll see. 

SF - 31

GB - 17

• Like 1

Our offense can feast in this game if it executes. Ultimately, it will be down to making Love overthink and bottling up Jones. If we can keep Love in check, we should win by 3 scores. 

Love is red freaking hot and definitely feeling it right now. HAVE to knock him off his rhythm or make it hard to find it. 

• Like 1