Divisional Round: San Francisco 49ers vs Green Bay Packers

The Weather Channel is predicting the weather to be 71 degrees at 3 PM and it will go from 68 degrees to 65 degrees for the next three hours. 

Great weather and there will be no rain! Will be the type of weather we saw in the NFCCG in the 2019 season. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

That insane throw on 3rd & 10 where Purdy threw it way high, I just knew was gonna be intercepted. But that was a BCB throw by Purdy and Juan snagged it. 

I would LOVE for us to bring Juan back but I just don't see it. He's one of those guys who's not a frontline starter or big contributor but his impact on the game is there on film and will be hard to replicate.

I know I mentioned it on here a few times before the game, but feel pretty vindicated with the poor performance after resting so many guys in week 18. Definitely feel like it was the wrong move and I think Purdy was off more because of that than the rain. He was slow to make decisions, inaccurate…. Just looked rusty to me. Lucky to come out with a win. Part of me is also just annoyed because so many people can look at this game and say see, Purdy’s no good. That, along with the Christmas game, were his biggest audiences and was bad in both. Excited to see what he and the rest of the team can put together next week though. Maybe I’ll feel less confident after watching the game today, but Packers and Rams were the scariest teams in the NFC to me and the rest don’t scare me. 

22 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I know I mentioned it on here a few times before the game, but feel pretty vindicated with the poor performance after resting so many guys in week 18. Definitely feel like it was the wrong move and I think Purdy was off more because of that than the rain. He was slow to make decisions, inaccurate…. Just looked rusty to me. Lucky to come out with a win. Part of me is also just annoyed because so many people can look at this game and say see, Purdy’s no good. That, along with the Christmas game, were his biggest audiences and was bad in both. Excited to see what he and the rest of the team can put together next week though. Maybe I’ll feel less confident after watching the game today, but Packers and Rams were the scariest teams in the NFC to me and the rest don’t scare me. 

I have yet to see him play well in the rain, so I'll probably stick with that being the primary reason, especially since it lasted pretty much the entirety of the game. I mean he was trying to dry the ball during the course of his drop backs. That's crazy. 

Generally, I think of layoff rust, you can shake that off at some point. He never really did. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, straighthate said:

Ok if they win the NFC title game they have 2 weeks until the SB do you expect them to be rusty for the SB as well?

SF won. Enjoy the win. Don't overthink this one. Playing bad and winning is not shameful. Buffalo played a great game a few yrs ago against KC. How that work out for them? Lol Win the game by 1 more point than your opp. On to the NFCCG

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

I posted something on this last night and it's so laughable to me. Deebo felt he couldn't go in this game and took himself out in a scenario where the team could have been sent home… yet Schefty is already reporting on his status for next week? Come on now. We know the shoulder injury he had earlier in the season took him 3-4 weeks to recover from. How can you even report or tweet about this after the game? All the testing/imaging has not even been done yet on the shoulder. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I have yet to see him play well in the rain, so I'll probably stick with that being the primary reason, especially since it lasted pretty much the entirety of the game. I mean he was trying to dry the ball during the course of his drop backs. That's crazy. 

Generally, I think of layoff rust, you can shake that off at some point. He never really did. 

Exactly, this wasn't just rust even though some of it probably was. Purdy was late on some throws and had miscommunication with Aiyuk on a few plays. But overall this was him not being able to grip the ball like he wanted too. Once Purdy plays well in the rain, then we can use other reasoning for his subpar play but he hasn't done so in the NFL thus far. 

Love threw some good balls but even before his INTs he missed on a few open receivers himself. Neither QB was truly comfortable in the rain but really how many QBs are? 

On 1/19/2024 at 2:09 PM, Forge said:
On 1/19/2024 at 1:57 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

He doesn't try to step up in the pocket and instead will back up to buy time and he can afford to do that with his big arm. The Packers passing blocking OL is often times really good. The key will be to stop the run and the play action element. Then you can force some throws to get away from Love and have a chance at getting an INT or two. 

Nobody better at it than the niners lol. I'll take the ints over sacks 

Oh, this actually happened 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Oh, this actually happened 😂

Honestly though, both INTs were just terrible throws by Love and the last one was a terrible decision. We didn't really make him as uncomfortable as we should have. 

This is the Wilks system though. Take the big play away, play soft on the outside and then make it tough to consistently complete passes in the middle of the field. That's the part of the field most INTs take place. I still wish he would be more creative with his blitzes but his defense is money down the stretch in games. Opposite of how we used to be lol. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly though, both INTs were just terrible throws by Love and the last one was a terrible decision. We didn't really make him as uncomfortable as we should have. 

This is the Wilks system though. Take the big play away, play soft on the outside and then make it tough to consistently complete passes in the middle of the field. That's the part of the field most INTs take place. I still wish he would be more creative with his blitzes but his defense is money down the stretch in games. Opposite of how we used to be lol. 

That's who he is with us. I'm not sure that's who he actually is.

Against Goff and potentially Lamar, I'm kind of thinking I want to cut Wilks loose and let him do what he used to do- blitz like crazy. More variance to be sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was extremely effective out of nowhere

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Against Goff and potentially Lamar, I'm kind of thinking I want to cut Wilks loose and let him do what he used to do- blitz like crazy. More variance to be sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was extremely effective out of nowhere

Oh for sure and I think the plan vs Jackson has to be blitzes up the middle and the edges rushing disciplined like they did against Hurts. You leave your corners in single coverage vs their WRs and have Greenlaw spy on Jackson. 

One thing I was encouraged about was Armstead getting a good amount of pressure on Love. He did what he does best but our edges didn't finish with sacks. Should be different vs Goff or Mayfield. Jackson/Allen/Mahomes is a different story though lol. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel like Wilks wants to play man and zone interchangeably at about 50/50.  So any base or blitz look could back out into man or zone.  We play mostly zone and fake blitzes.  

I think a match up against Goff really lends itself to more bltizing, like Forge mentioned earlier.  They have a clear 1 WR we can match up] with Ward, we have good matchups across the board.  Goff is not adept at buying time.  I bet the guys on the line would enjoy a game where they just p]in their ears back.

Kinlaw made a few strong plays in the short yardage run game.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420