Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Well this surely makes a "steal" of a draft pick go down to a way overdraft. 

Did this happen in rookie camp? Did they know when he was drafted. Not Good !

Diagram of bones in foot and ankle illustrates location of a Jones fracture in the fifth metatarsal.

Jon Allen had the same injury his rookie year after he played 5 games & he’s been a pro bowler ever sense. I’m glad it’s happening now, and not near the start of the season. I don’t think he’ll miss any games.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Jon Allen had the same injury his rookie year after he played 5 games & he’s been a pro bowler ever sense. I’m glad it’s happening now, and not near the start of the season. I don’t think he’ll miss any games.

I bet right now-he starts the season on I R . Then got to get up to speed. Maybe helps some by November/ Dec . Lost season . Big man with two bad feet- ugh.

BTW, Allens, injury was a Lisfranc ( probably worse ) not a Jones fracture. He got hurt mid Oct and missed the rest of the season .

Edited by RSkinGM

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I bet right now-he starts the season on I R . Then got to get up to speed. Maybe helps some by November/ Dec . Lost season . Big man with two bad feet- ugh.

BTW, Allens, injury was a Lisfranc ( probably worse ) not a Jones fracture. He got hurt mid Oct and missed the rest of the season .

I don’t know about IR. I think PUP if he’s not ready to practice by when the preseason games start.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2024 at 1:43 PM, lavar703 said:

This is just an extremely frustrating pick to me. I would’ve much rather they picked DeJean (I know he was hurt too), JPJ, Cooper or Mitchell. 

Or a OT.  

Imagine if we traded up for him :)

Obviously everyone else passed on him for these injuries.  That is why he fell.  Hard not to give Peters a big down grade this one.  2 foot surgeries on a big man.  Not good.  Huge risk to take if we knew, big failure if everyone else knew and we didn't. 

Hope he heals up.  

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, offbyone said:

Or a OT.  

Obviously everyone else passed on him for these injuries.  That is why he fell.  Hard not to give Peters a big down grade this one.  2 foot surgeries on a big man.  Not good.  Huge risk to take if we knew, big failure if everyone else knew and we didn't. 

Hope he heals up.  

They said the same thing about Jon Allen's shoulders. I still think we got tremendous value on the Newton pick. He should be recovered in time for training camp. I understand people are frustrated because we had other needs, but there were very few OTs I would have taken at 36. I probably would have gone Kool-Aid over any other player at that point. My top rated player other than Newton was Edgerrin Cooper, so I could have seen myself banging the table there too even with our current LB room. 

Also, sometimes the talent outweighs the injury concern. This dude already recovered from the surgery on one foot and looked good at his pro day. This is a non-issue for me. 

Edited by Slappy Mc
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

This is a non-issue for me. 

Well I usually agree with you but I'm at the opposite position on this one. Sounds too much like a R R , Snyder era screw up to me. !

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, offbyone said:

Or a OT.  

Hope he heals up.  

OT’s that were available weren't higher graded than Sainristil & Sinnott. We got a definite starter in Sainristil & I think Sinnott will start some this year & be TE1 next year.

Then, we got Coleman in R3 who had a similar grade as the 2nd rnd OTs. I trust in Peters.

Edited by turtle28

21 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Well I usually agree with you but I'm at the opposite position on this one. Sounds too much like a R R , Snyder era screw up to me. !

I guess time will tell. As stated before the recovery time is measured in weeks, not months and the talent level is absolutely there. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Then, we got Coleman in R3 who had a similar grade as the 2nd rnd OTs. I trust in Peters.

I'm not sure Coleman is an NFL LT, but I guess we will find out. 

I’ve really liked what AP has done so far. Like I mentioned prior so I have to give AP the benefit of the doubt that they did the medical work prior to selecting J. Newton. He seems like a very thorough person in what he does so until I see different, LFG Adam!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I'm not sure Coleman is an NFL LT, but I guess we will find out. 

He's certainly athletic enough. He's got two years of starts at LT. At worst he's our future starting LG which is fine as well for a 3rd round pick.

9 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

They said the same thing about Jon Allen's shoulders. I still think we got tremendous value on the Newton pick. He should be recovered in time for training camp. I understand people are frustrated because we had other needs, but there were very few OTs I would have taken at 36. I probably would have gone Kool-Aid over any other player at that point. My top rated player other than Newton was Edgerrin Cooper, so I could have seen myself banging the table there too even with our current LB room. 

Also, sometimes the talent outweighs the injury concern. This dude already recovered from the surgery on one foot and looked good at his pro day. This is a non-issue for me. 

The situations weren't comparable.  Jon Allen had concerns about prior shoulder injuries.  He was not unhealthy though and did not need surgery.  Newton had one surgery everyone knew about and another we didn't.  

Everyone called him a steal at 36 but the fact is we got robbed.  If I knew about the medical issues, I would happily have still considered drafting Newton, but not at 36.  You don't take a player with that many problems at the very top of the 2nd round. 

I would have taken these oline players over newton in the second round, in this order.

Kingsley Suamataia 
Zach Frazier 
Patrick Paul 
Jackson Powers-Johnson 
Roger Rosengarten 

And I certainly would have taken Dejean or Koolaid.  

I hope it all works out.  But #36 is a hugely valuable resource you can't take lightly.  Rivera just tricked you into believing that 2nd round picks aren't important.

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

OT’s that were available weren't higher graded than Sainristil & Sinnott. We got a definite starter in Sainristil & I think Sinnott will start some this year & be TE1 next year.

I don't trust in Peters.  He needs to earn that for me.  

The other standpoint is:

-We got a major injury concern player with a pick that was nearly a first round pick in value.  Not only that, but he plays a position we are stacked out and we just had to dispense 2 players on dline because we couldn't afford them all.  Some how Peters' big "process" either  missed this information or they chose to ignore it.

-Then we got an epic football player, but he is a midget that weights barely more than Forbes.

-Personally I do like Sinnott, but if you want to talk draft grades, I don't recall anyone ranking him a second round pick.  Guys like Kingsley, Paul, Suamataia, JPJ were often rated in the 1st round leading up to the draft or throughout the actual season.

-We desperately needed oline even before we invested in a qb.  Heck, we need it if not only to develop for future seasons.  Out of 9 picks, we used only 1 on a project LT.  And yes guys like Suamataia fell farther than I valued him, but you can't even compare prospect wise Coleman to those guys in the 2nd round.  And outside of tackle there were some high level interior guys we passed on as well.

I'm am hopeful, but I am going to call a spade a spade.  I think so far the "process" has proved to have some positive hits but also some misses.