Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

4 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Everyone called him a steal at 36 but the fact is we got robbed.  If I knew about the medical issues, I would happily have still considered drafting Newton, but not at 36.  You don't take a player with that many problems at the very top of the 2nd round. 

That many problems? He had an injury that he recovered from and the exact same injury to the other foot that was unknown. His surgery will require him to be out for weeks and rehab, something he has already don't once successfully. 

Also the guy was a top 15 talent. Jon Allen was a top 5 talent that fell approximately 12 spots to 17. Newton dropped from top 15 to 36, over 21 spots. It was good value even with the unknown injury. 

Also, of the 5 offensive lineman you offered, two of them were interior O-Lineman, which they clearly felt set on since none were drafted and the other 3 were not worth the top 36 pick. The next tackle after Dallas took Guyton at 29 was Paul at 55, after we made ALL 3 2nd round picks. 

I'm upset we didn't get a better OT too, but not the ones that went in the 2nd I wanted a 1st round T.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

That many problems? He had an injury that he recovered from and the exact same injury to the other foot that was unknown. His surgery will require him to be out for weeks and rehab, something he has already don't once successfully. 

Also the guy was a top 15 talent. Jon Allen was a top 5 talent that fell approximately 12 spots to 17. Newton dropped from top 15 to 36, over 21 spots. It was good value even with the unknown injury. 

Also, of the 5 offensive lineman you offered, two of them were interior O-Lineman, which they clearly felt set on since none were drafted and the other 3 were not worth the top 36 pick. The next tackle after Dallas took Guyton at 29 was Paul at 55, after we made ALL 3 2nd round picks. 

I'm upset we didn't get a better OT too, but not the ones that went in the 2nd I wanted a 1st round T.

Again, Jon Allen wasn't injured.  This is a huge difference.  The medical evals just said his shoulders might have problems long term.  

If you knew about both injuries, you would draft a guy like that at #36?   

In terms of oline, I think we need help at guard too.  I would happily have drafted both guard positions.  I don't think Allegreti is a long term solution myself.  For instance, I think Frazier was one of the best olinemen in the whole draft.  Likely the best center in draft and probably one of the best guards in draft.  

Keep in mind, I am not knocking the player.  He is an amazing prospect, I just think you have to take lower risk shots with valuable picks.  You have to combine his injury with the fact that it is a position we are already overstocked with premium players on.

40 minutes ago, offbyone said:

If you knew about both injuries, you would draft a guy like that at #36?   

Yes for two reasons. #1 I had him so much higher on my board than any prospect left. #2 He has already recovered from the surgery to one foot and we have a clear path to knowing the surgery that needs to happen, know how long his body takes to recover, and know that he can recover to full strength from it.

44 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Again, Jon Allen wasn't injured.  This is a huge difference.  The medical evals just said his shoulders might have problems long term.  

Jon Allen was also viewed as a top 5 pick. You may not think its apples to apples, but its pretty similar from an injury concern. There was questions about Jon Allen making it through an NFL season.

45 minutes ago, offbyone said:

In terms of oline, I think we need help at guard too.  I would happily have drafted both guard positions.  I don't think Allegreti is a long term solution myself.  For instance, I think Frazier was one of the best olinemen in the whole draft.  Likely the best center in draft and probably one of the best guards in draft. 

I understand your feelings and the feelings of others about the interior O-Line, but they signed both Biadasz and Allegretti to 3 year contracts. Whether fans like it or not, they are in the short AND intermediate term for the O-Line. As I said during the draft, if they went interior O-Line, its likely a Comsi replacement over the others.

49 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Keep in mind, I am not knocking the player.  He is an amazing prospect, I just think you have to take lower risk shots with valuable picks.  You have to combine his injury with the fact that it is a position we are already overstocked with premium players on.

It should say a lot that they felt that the value was too good to pass up knowing he was post-surgery on an injury. Like I said, I had him as a top 15 prospect. That doesnt necessarily need to be compared to what the team thought, but there was word of them wanting to trade up for specifically him after missing on the OTs. So they were considering going as high as 30.

I know DT is a loaded position because we have Payne and Allen, but as I said post-draft, if things go well with Newton, this will be Allen's last year and next year will probably be Payne's last year. Just my opinion.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

How does Dallas draw a .505.. WTF !? Same as the stinkin' Jets ! Don't tell me they don't get favoritism !

Edited by RSkinGM

9 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

How does Dallas draw a .505.. WTF !? Same as the stinkin' Jets ! Don't tell me they don't get favoritism !

It's all rotation based plus division standings...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I guess playing us twice really drops their SOS .. ! 🤣

I honestly don't think the rest of the division is that far off from the Iggles. I actually think the Giants, the Eagles and Washington got better while Dallas didn't. Crazy to me, but SOS doesn't matter until the games are played. 

• Like 1