90th Academy Awards

RamRod

I didn't think Get Out was all that great either.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't all that great. 

Agreed. It was enjoyable but the only thing I could say was 'great' about it was that the concept/script was, for the most part, consistently 'new'. It wasn't rehashed and was truly creative in many ways.

The writing for his best friend character was so cringe (The guy that was like TSA or something). He seemed like a character from Scary Movie. Totally took me out of the feel whenever it cut to him.

On 24/01/2018 at 12:08 AM, RamRod said:

Really hoping the reason Franco didn’t get nominated was because of the claims against him. Separating art from artist starting to become a thing of the past unfortunately.

That's like saying - "I hope the voters decision to keep Terrell Owens out of the pro football HOF isn't due to personal prejudice?"

It's 100% the reason. 

Political pandering at the Oscars is nothing new. They reacted similarly in the face of criticism aimed at their perceived lack of diversity amongst nominees.

I don't know why anyone still watches this garbage. What field outside of entertainment has a goddamn awards season?  

51 minutes ago, Marc MacGyver said:

That's like saying - "I hope the voters decision to keep Terrell Owens out of the pro football HOF isn't due to personal prejudice?"

It's 100% the reason. 

Political pandering at the Oscars is nothing new. They reacted similarly in the face of criticism aimed at their perceived lack of diversity amongst nominees.

I don't know why anyone still watches this garbage. What field outside of entertainment has a goddamn awards season?  

Yeah I know it definitely affected him. That was somewhat of a rhetorical remark.

But I don’t get people who criticize the Oscars by saying things like “it’s just an excuse to reward each other or give themselves a pat on the back.” How does it differ from like the NBA or NFL handing out MVP, coach of the year, etc? 

The diversity issue was so overblown. Lets look back 20 years. There were 3 African American winners of Best Actor. That's 3/20 or 15% of the time.

2015 Census shows African Americans as 12.6% of the population. There is actually a slight overrepresentation of black winners in the past 20 years.

Wanna know who should be mad? Asians. Zero wins and should receive about 5%.

Now is there an argument that more minorities should be represented as directors? Yes. But that's clearly changing as the lack of talented black actors began to change in the late 1980's.

People just like to wax poetic to feel good about themselves and rich Oscar types love taking up causes that don't actually require any adjustments of their lifestyle or consumerism overall.

I plan on watching Mudbound really soon since it’s on Netflix. Been hearing there wasn’t anything special about Mary J. Blige’s performance. I’ll wait til I see the movie but I feel like Holly Hunter should have been there instead.

On 1/23/2018 at 3:18 PM, packerrfan74 said:

Will never understand the love that movie receives. I hated it. 

Any movie that takes an "inside" look at the movie industry automatically gets held in higher esteem by Hollywood than the general public. 

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Any movie that takes an "inside" look at the movie industry automatically gets held in higher esteem by Hollywood than the general public. 

The general public from what I remember though freaked out about that movie. People were obsessing over it and giving me that crazy look whenever I told them that I hadn't seen it. 

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

How does Get Out take an inside look at the movie industry?

11 hours ago, kyle21121 said:
On 1/23/2018 at 7:45 AM, RamRod said:

No nomination for James Franco for the Disaster Artist.

On 1/23/2018 at 8:53 AM, RamRod said:

Also, Kobe Bryant is an Oscar nominee lol

#TimesUp?

Seriously.  Apparently if it happened more than 10 years ago and there are actual criminal charges, then it doesn't matter to the Academy.

On 26/01/2018 at 12:49 AM, RamRod said:

Yeah I know it definitely affected him. That was somewhat of a rhetorical remark.

But I don’t get people who criticize the Oscars by saying things like “it’s just an excuse to reward each other or give themselves a pat on the back.” How does it differ from like the NBA or NFL handing out MVP, coach of the year, etc? 

They have an awards show, not an awards season. They also haven't turned their events into a political forum, where the social climate can dictate the outcomes. 

The industry as a whole is nothing short of an embarrassment. From decades of complicit silence & cover-ups, to an unmitigated witch hunt driven by social media outrage. 

If teenagers ran the world, it would resemble something like the mess in Hollywood.     

Archived