2024 offseason, a lot of work to do.

This OT class reminds me of one some years ago.

Andrew Thomas -> Olu Fashanu

Tristan Wirfs -> Taliese Fuaga

Wills and Becton aren't exact fits but as a whole this class feels similar to me.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Best player available. 

If it's not Alt/Fashanu/Fuaga/Fautanu I don't want an OT in the first because after those guys there's a drop off for me.

Mims and Latham have a place in the first, but they're far behind the others for me.

Mims has more potential than any of them, especially in pass protection.
He has an amazing first punch and the lateral agility to stay with spin moves.
Nobody is going to overpower him unless he finds himself off balance.

He does need to work on run blocking and finishing in the run game.
That make him less of a G-to-T prospect than some of the others.
But, if healthy he could replace Johnson at RT sooner if needed.

12 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

Really? Fuaga better than any CB prospect in this draft or why him over everyone else? 

Well if he's available, then he's very likely the bpa.  Fuaga honestly has no business making it outside the top 15 picks and probably should be a top 10 pick if some teams were a little smarter.  It's a no brainier of he starts sliding.  High floor high ceiling player and would kill 2 birds with one stone being likely one of the best guards in the NFL the next couple seasons while also being Lanes lint term replacement.  That said, of Mitchell or DeJean slide either of them are no brainier picks too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Didn't studder!

Fuaga would INSTANTLY  fill your guys obsession with immediate impact as a Rookie/Starter. ✔️ 

He would undoubtedly be the RG for the 2024 season. Much like Jurgens was for the 2023 season while Kelce returned. ✔️ 

You all are assuming Health and Lane WANTING to play 2-3 more seasons as though its guaranteed. I am not!

Fuaga if drafted could play RG for a season or two and IMMEDIATELY  be Lanes replacement at RT.  ✔️ 

Allowing the Eagles to have 4/5th of their OL intact for the next 5-10 years. Which is more important then any CB or WR potentially drafted! Protecting the single most important postion in sports!

So Yes, more important then a CB who might or might not bust as not only as a 1st rd pick but in a Vic Fangio Defense. 

But already giving up on Steen which is in the exact same situation? Either way we're replacing two starters in the OL. 

You imply a lot that if we go CB he will bust because we suck at evaluating that position, but an OT might bust too, Dillard did just that and was on a very favorable situation coming in, was the best pure pass blocker in the class and we traded up for him.  

I'm not sold at all on focusing our efforts in a limited number of positions with our 1st rounds and stick with them and not try new approaches in team building. 

Edited by Broadway Joe

4 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

But already giving up on Steen which is in the exact same situation? Either way we're replacing two starters in the OL. 

No I'm doubling down exactly like did trying to replace Kelce when they drafted Dickerson/Jurgens and found 2 Starters. 

Steen was drafted as a OT, not LG. Not sure why people keep forgettingthat? Drafting Fuaga all but guarantees at minimum 4/5ths of the OL is set for the foreseeable future, all 5 if either Steen/Fuaga becomes the LG post Lane retirement. 

That then gives us our swing Tackle for the 2024 season "in case" either or both Mailata/Lane get injured. 

Whether you all want to acknowledge the possibility we've already added and improved CB depth with Isiah Rodgers and CGJ is not on me. I believe we have.  Then add another extra year for Ringo,Ricks,Goodrich,Garner to make that leap??? We have "depth".

I'm on record saying I'm all for a Stud CB he drops. I personally though have no problem taking Fuaga over any of them.

Maybe that opinion is skewed by the fact I also don't believe we are getting rid of Bradberry. No matter what fans think, how ****ty he played last season. I believe Vic has already had that conversation with Howie letting him know, I have no plans of playing JB like Sean Desai. We are going back to how Johnathan Gannon did in 2022. Both JB and Slay in Zone Coverage, staying on one side of the field LOB style. Not M2Man and Traveling like idiots!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the Eagles Big Board is set, what players are where. 🪰 🪰 

55 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

No I'm doubling down exactly like did trying to replace Kelce when they drafted Dickerson/Jurgens and found 2 Starters. 

Steen was drafted as a OT, not LG. Not sure why people keep forgettingthat? Drafting Fuaga all but guarantees at minimum 4/5ths of the OL is set for the foreseeable future, all 5 if either Steen/Fuaga becomes the LG post Lane retirement. 

That then gives us our swing Tackle for the 2024 season "in case" either or both Mailata/Lane get injured. 

Whether you all want to acknowledge the possibility we've already added and improved CB depth with Isiah Rodgers and CGJ is not on me. I believe we have.  Then add another extra year for Ringo,Ricks,Goodrich,Garner to make that leap??? We have "depth".

I'm on record saying I'm all for a Stud CB he drops. I personally though have no problem taking Fuaga over any of them.

Maybe that opinion is skewed by the fact I also don't believe we are getting rid of Bradberry. No matter what fans think, how ****ty he played last season. I believe Vic has already had that conversation with Howie letting him know, I have no plans of playing JB like Sean Desai. We are going back to how Johnathan Gannon did in 2022. Both JB and Slay in Zone Coverage, staying on one side of the field LOB style. Not M2Man and Traveling like idiots!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the Eagles Big Board is set, what players are where. 🪰 🪰 

Tyler Steen was drafted to be the future RG and serve as swing tackle in the meantime. That was pretty documented and even a camp battle going in, he even started a game there last year.

We have a but better depth at slot CB, better than last year. But outside CB it is definitely an issue. You phrase it that "fans want to believe" that Bradberry played bad last year. Is that not a fact? He most certainly played horrible, even when he was playing in his usual position and role. 

Also Slay is 33 and Bradberry will be 31, that alone should be enough reason. Age decline is not a slope is a cliff and we are about to see it now with the other outside CB. We may have one future starter in Ringo (who might be better suited at FS) but the other one is a very big need. 

I know that you are not against a CB in the first but the reasoning you're using for going OT over is  inconsistent. You can get everything you arguing for with an OL in the next two rounds, while with CB is much harder and taking into account our past history as you did a few posts ago. 

Edited by Broadway Joe

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Steen was drafted as a OT, not LG. Not sure why people keep forgettingthat?

Incorrect GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

7 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Tyler Steen was drafted to be the future RG and serve as swing tackle in the meantime. That was pretty documented and even a camp battle going in, he even started a game there last year

That Is Correct GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/why-the-eagles-drafted-a-guard-who-never-played-guard/273927/

“Then he moved at the Senior Bowl, he played guard. You could see him moving people off the ball, you could see his athleticism in space. This is a 6-6, 320-pound guy who started in the SEC, smart guy, comes from a great family, and obviously Coach (Jeff) Stoutland (is) a big part of our process, as well … and (he’s) really excited to get his hands on him.”

The Eagles selected Steen in the third round and made it clear from the start that they see him as a guard. Now, in a pinch, could he play tackle? Probably. The Eagles do value versatile linemen. And they don’t have a ton of depth behind Lane Johnson and Jordan Mailata at tackle. But the expectation is that when the Eagles start OTAs and get to training camp, he’ll be exclusively a guard.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

We have a but better depth at slot CB, better than last year. But outside CB it is definitely an issue. You phrase it that "fans want to believe" that Bradberry played bad last year. Is that not a fact? He most certainly played horrible, even when he was playing in his usual position and role. 

At no point last year did Sean Desai use JB correctly.  No point!

Bradberry was coming off a 1st team All Pro season in 2022 basically playing Zone Coverages ala Richard Sherman in Seattle. Isolated to one side of the field.

At no point did Gannon in 2022 have Bradberry follow WR's. Have Bradberry as a SCB. Have Bradberry switch sides of the field L/R so Slay could pretend, he's Darrell Revis. 

Absolutely none of that will occur with under Vic Fangio. It's the reason Ransey and Xavier were so upset last season. Vic doesn't play Man to Man regardlessof the CB's he has, period!! 

James Bradberry is NOT a Man to Man covering CB. He is however a very good Zone CB. Like Richard Sherman,  give him a side, give him specific responsibilities and 🙏🙏🙏 the Safety help needed for said coverages work do thier jobs correctly. 

All of that occured in 2022. None of that occured in 2023.

Eagles are in a bit of a conundrum at both CB and OL which just so happens to be the bread and butter of this draft in the early rounds it seems.

Obviously they are expecting Vic Fangio to revitalize this defense and get more out of Slay and Bradberry, close to what they were in 2022. Ringo and Ricks are going into year 2, and the addition of Rodgers is a question mark in of itself. The problem aside from banking on hope that Fangio succeeds, is that all of those names mentioned are outside CBs and as of right now we have no slot CBs other than the kid Hall we just signed. Suppose we do draft a slot CB or resign Avonte...that gives us 6 CBs not counting Hall. I just dont see this team spending a 1st rounder on a pure slot CB or spending a 1st on an outside CB to sit while we keep 7 CBs on the roster, even though it would be great to have a 1st round talent already on the team going into the offseason NEXT year.... 

As far as the OL goes, it really all depends on how this coaching staff view Steen and think hes ready to be the starter at RG. Even if he is the starter they still need to add another backup OT/G. 

However with all this said...other than Jalen Carter, the Eagles dont start 1st round picks. So I think its kind of something you have to know going into the draft and team building is that no matter who they draft, I wouldnt pencil them in as a starter. CB or OL. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Looks like over the cap is finally caught up on all our moves. Currently sitting on 31 million. Unless I missed a name on the list

Sounds right, saw something that a Reddick restructure could put us over $40m

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Sounds right, saw something that a Reddick restructure could put us over $40m

Wouldn't the Eagles be better served to frontload a contract restructure given the cap room this year? I am sincerely asking. I don't see why they need 40 million in cap space with the bulk of free agency over. I don't know whether Reddick would be amenable to that situation or not. I would think in this scenario, it would make sense to pay him more upfront rather than on the backend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

At no point last year did Sean Desai use JB correctly.  No point!

Bradberry was coming off a 1st team All Pro season in 2022 basically playing Zone Coverages ala Richard Sherman in Seattle. Isolated to one side of the field.

At no point did Gannon in 2022 have Bradberry follow WR's. Have Bradberry as a SCB. Have Bradberry switch sides of the field L/R so Slay could pretend, he's Darrell Revis. 

Absolutely none of that will occur with under Vic Fangio. It's the reason Ransey and Xavier were so upset last season. Vic doesn't play Man to Man regardlessof the CB's he has, period!! 

James Bradberry is NOT a Man to Man covering CB. He is however a very good Zone CB. Like Richard Sherman,  give him a side, give him specific responsibilities and 🙏🙏🙏 the Safety help needed for said coverages work do thier jobs correctly. 

All of that occured in 2022. None of that occured in 2023.

If you want to see that in action, look at the game winning TD in Seattle.
Why was the safety protection against a first down?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

Wouldn't the Eagles be better served to frontload a contract restructure given the cap room this year? I am sincerely asking. I don't see why they need 40 million in cap space with the bulk of free agency over. I don't know whether Reddick would be amenable to that situation or not. I would think in this scenario, it would make sense to pay him more upfront rather than on the backend.

Can go either way, it’s almost $22m this year as is and $14m in dead cap next year already.

Have to think they will want to lockdown Devonta this year, which usually doesn’t kick in much. So yeah there isn’t much need to do it unless they get busy in the later wave of FA and sign some of these vets left over.