Who do you want as the Steelers new Offensive Coordinator?

Interesting - Eric Bienemy out in Washington as they bring in Kliff Kingsbury. Living here people did not like Bienemy, too rough of a coach, threw too much, run game wasn’t good. But if you could get him in a role where he’s helping design the pass game and Smith is running things we should explore it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, August4th said:

This and add "born after 1985" lol

Lol. I’m not a “good ole boy network” guy but yea, this run of 30something coach with minimal league experience off a coaching tree has issues. 

You for Tomlin as the gold standard. Remember when we did that with him it was unheard of. McVay is the only other one to have SB success out of that theory so far. So many guys have teams that start hot and cool. 

This is my own theory - I think part of the issue is these guys have staple plays and a few “tricks” off of it. The new staples catch teams off guard early in the year. But once tape is out there defensive coaches (where age seems to be in favor of right now) catch up and stop it. So the “tricks” tend not to work because the staple plays aren’t hitting. 

I can’t take full credit for it, as I think it was Chris Long” but he was talking about the Dolphins and showed in an early week how they ran the same jet motion 4 times, then hit with the Tua no look shovel pass because they knew over pursuit and getting upfield was happening. Then they showed in the Ravens game, they called basically a QB contain on the sweep action. So when Miami tried to run something off that, everyone was in position to make a play on the pass. 

13 minutes ago, warfelg said:

You for Tomlin as the gold standard. Remember when we did that with him it was unheard of. McVay is the only other one to have SB success out of that theory so far. So many guys have teams that start hot and cool. 

Unheard of for other teams.  Noll was 36 when he took over the Steelers.  Cowher was 35.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Interesting - Eric Bienemy out in Washington as they bring in Kliff Kingsbury. Living here people did not like Bienemy, too rough of a coach, threw too much, run game wasn’t good. But if you could get him in a role where he’s helping design the pass game and Smith is running things we should explore it. 

I thought the same thing when I heard the news that he wouldn't be back in Washington. Maybe he could come here as a passing game coordinator or something. I definitely wouldn't be opposed. 

• Like 1

News out that the Steelers are not renewing contracts or the coaches are moving on:

1. WR Coach Frishman Jackson

2. Assistant QB Coach  David Corley

3. Quality Control Coach Matt Tomsho

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/02/david-corley-matt-tomsho-leaving-steelers/

maxresdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEmCIAKENAF8q

Interesting as it has been said that there would be changes this season. It didn't go as many of us projected, but changes are coming.

Jackson being one of the most interesting as Dionte Johnson did not flourish under Jackson and Pickens and Austin also did not get used to the best of their abilities. I am not surprised at that.

The other two probably support the three interview candidates we heard about as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

2. Assistant QB Coach  David Corley

3. Quality Control Coach Matt Tomsho

These guys were close with Canada, and from what's reported Tomsho was a Canada loyalist and was hired only because of Canada.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

These guys were close with Canada, and from what's reported Tomsho was a Canada loyalist and was hired only because of Canada.

I have seen that as well.  My primary coaching question/surprise was at WR.  There has been conversations about the WR room on the site. I never like to see people lose their jobs, but the WR room has been inconsistent since the retirement and of passing of Richard Mann and Darryl Drake. 

This is probably a golden opportunity for Arthur Smith to have some input on who joins his offensive staff. Can this person help the football maturity of the position and continued development of George Pickens and Calvin Austin.  Dionte's numbers have gone down since the departure and death of these two coaches.

Ive questioned both Pat Meyer and Alfredo Roberts . Perhaps the concerns with Meyer have had to do with the reported lack of communication/coordination by Canada with the rest of the staff as I get from listening to DK Sports. Im not sold on that as an excuse. However, it seems to me that we've only seen regression in the tight ends room especially and primarily in regards to blocking (ie Zach Gentry). Pat Fry was always a good receiver, that is always open even when covered, so its not like he created Pat. The blocking from this years tight ends could only be classified as atrocious efforts for much of the year to go along with not knowing and understanding assignments (this could be Canada related, but the efforts were significant part of it). I don't want to hear about that one game in Seattle where they finally decided to block. These are professionals and it took 17 weeks for them to decide to hit somebody.  Also Pat's efforts and route running at times were disappointing imo. There was just such a lack of detail exhibited by all of the offensive skill players and the Oline as well.

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, August4th said:

saw someone mention Brian Hartline as a potential WR coach. I can get behind that. He can help bring in some of the passing concepts from Ryan Day. OSU has been a WR factory under his watch.

I mean that would be a home run hire. I always thought his next job would be as a college HC but the life and schedule of an NFL position coach might be more desirable.

2 hours ago, August4th said:

saw someone mention Brian Hartline as a potential WR coach. I can get behind that. He can help bring in some of the passing concepts from Ryan Day. OSU has been a WR factory under his watch.

They also mentioned that he was unlikely to leave that situation because he's getting paid really well and is in line to do bigger things when the opportunity arises. 

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Ive questioned both Pat Meyer and Alfredo Roberts.

I had more concern with Meyer than Roberts. The OL has had slow starts each of the past few seasons. The play of Mason Cole regressed and Dan Moore has seemed to have plateaued where he is.  As far as TE's. Muth is hurt a lot and it definitely has affected his play. Washington was not used. Heyward is really more of a FB and Williams did well for his circumstances, but is more of a ST guy.

While I don't give either coach a D or F grade, they certainly could be better in some regards.

Perhaps the concerns with Meyer have had to do with the reported lack of communication/coordination by Canada with the rest of the staff as I get from listening to DK Sports. I'm not sold on that as an excuse.

I seem to remember there being some merit to this as both Najee and Jalen gave Pat Meyer credit for listening to the RB's, getting them involved, and doing some things to move the rushing attack forward. I wouldn't mind another technician in that room. Can anyone say Mike Munchak? I don't think it would be a case of too many voices in the OL. I think Munch knows how to develop talent. Not that Meyer can't, but as a former HOF player, Munch has some secrets and nuances that he adds to any OL player.

However, it seems to me that we've only seen regression in the tight ends room especially and primarily in regards to blocking (ie Zach Gentry). Pat Fry was always a good receiver, that is always open even when covered, so its not like he created Pat. The blocking from this years tight ends could only be classified as atrocious efforts for much of the year to go along with not knowing and understanding assignments (this could be Canada related, but the efforts were significant part of it). I don't want to hear about that one game in Seattle where they finally decided to block. These are professionals and it took 17 weeks for them to decide to hit somebody.  Also Pat's efforts and route running at times were disappointing imo. There was just such a lack of detail exhibited by all of the offensive skill players and the Oline as well.

I agree with much of this. I do think the TE's started to get better. Again, Muth's health/availability has held him back. Why they didn't use Mt. Washington in the pass game more iis beyond me. He was a rookie and got a few doses of reality in regards to blocking, but I think he was the best of the bunch and can get better.  They have a FB/H-Back in Heyward and a Special Teamer behind the top two. I think they could use a decent blocking TE via the draft or free agency. As far as coaching, I think they could use another voice in the coaching ranks. If they get help on the OL, perhaps, they can help the TE's with blocking.  A lot of that is also attitude. We missed out on George Kittle in the draft big time. He would have been a perfect fit in our system. We need that kind of mentality blocking.

6 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Jackson being one of the most interesting as Dionte Johnson did not flourish under Jackson and Pickens and Austin also did not get used to the best of their abilities. I am not surprised at that.

they had a QB that was under duress, or wouldn't  see them as the first read .often enough.  If MR2 played the entire season, their stats would have been much better, but maybe not if canada was still there. what a terrible season on offence for the first 10 games 

to me  it appears the team is making  the changes OTHER than what I thought needed to be done.  They are changing out coaches, but will it make much of a difference if the QB is still the issue? 

then of course see what they have in store for QB day 1 and of course the OL - that better not get neglected