Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

12 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I was just thinking that one of the other teams in front of the Steelers that needs a center may try to sign Connor Williams or Aaron Brewer. That may help JPP be there at 20. I would be surprised if someone moved up in the draft to get a Center round one.

I think Seattle and Jacksonville #16 and #17 are said to be in the Center market.

All depends on their priorities and if they think he is the BPA

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jebrick said:

All depends on their priorities and if they think he is the BPA

Agreed. I was implying that one or both teams may also try to sign one or both of these centers. That would bode well  for the Steelers if they value JPP at 20 as well.

10 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

Go out and pay cushenberry , centers aren't that expensive compared to a more premium position

Draft a young CB to go next to JPJ

I think we'd be having the same talks we are now if we sign Cush or Biadasz. Neither of them are that big of improvements over Cole. 

Honestly...(and I'm sure I'll change my thinking at least 20 times before the draft)...as of right now, I think the Steelers' top target should be Brock Bowers, as I've read that Artie Smith often employs 2- and 3-TE sets, and Bowers is one of those 'generational' talents at his position, and there are no other prospects close to his talent level.  We also get the bonus of his former collegiate positional partner being on the Steelers, as well.  Problem is, will he last long enough to be traded up for a reasonable package.

Outside of that, I believe there are 3 OC prospects that would likely be better long-term than any of the healthy OC FA prospects.  Cushenberry has improved over the last season, but was that just a one-off?

Also, as everyone here is aware, we need an upgrade at NT/DT, and at RT, to push Jones to LT.

Rarely, do our positional needs (TE isn't a 'need', just a great opportunity that IMO would improve our Offense immensely), coincide with the 'strength' positions in the draft.  Rarely are there multiple, early-and-middle-round draftable prospects at NT that are stout, and both large (320+) and agile enough to fit our D.  We consistently try to 'fit' less than ideal body size/shape into that position--this year's draft class is different.

Also, RT prospects abound in this draft class, which is also somewhat unusual...

One could also argue, that this draft is rich in developmental QB prospects, if we want to bring one in to push Mason/Pickett.

And while there appears to not be 'top-shelf' Edge guys, or CBs, I think the draft is fairly deep at those positions.

I may be looking at this draft through Black-and-gold' glasses, but to me, this draft class sets up well for us...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we'd be having the same talks we are now if we sign Cush or Biadasz. Neither of them are that big of improvements over Cole. 

I tend to disagree I think cush is enough of an upgrade with room for more growth 

And the cap hit is a big thing at least for me , I feel like you could get say like cush + trent brown or Austin Jackson at the same cost of say a lajarius sneed at the CB position 

But this draft seems to be a good one for most of our needs (OC , OT, CB , Dline) so we'll see how it plays out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cbrunn said:

I tend to disagree I think cush is enough of an upgrade with room for more growth 

And the cap hit is a big thing at least for me , I feel like you could get say like cush + trent brown or Austin Jackson at the same cost of say a lajarius sneed at the CB position 

But this draft seems to be a good one for most of our needs (OC , OT, CB , Dline) so we'll see how it plays out

All I know is what I've heard from fans, which I know is not the best, but a lot of Broncos fans complain about Cush. I loved him coming out of LSU, but from what I've heard he's been a disappointment. Maybe he's a late bloomer?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Honestly...(and I'm sure I'll change my thinking at least 20 times before the draft)...as of right now, I think the Steelers' top target should be Brock Bowers, as I've read that Artie Smith often employs 2- and 3-TE sets, and Bowers is one of those 'generational' talents at his position, and there are no other prospects close to his talent level.  We also get the bonus of his former collegiate positional partner being on the Steelers, as well.  Problem is, will he last long enough to be traded up for a reasonable package.

Outside of that, I believe there are 3 OC prospects that would likely be better long-term than any of the healthy OC FA prospects.  Cushenberry has improved over the last season, but was that just a one-off?

Also, as everyone here is aware, we need an upgrade at NT/DT, and at RT, to push Jones to LT.

Rarely, do our positional needs (TE isn't a 'need', just a great opportunity that IMO would improve our Offense immensely), coincide with the 'strength' positions in the draft.  Rarely are there multiple, early-and-middle-round draftable prospects at NT that are stout, and both large (320+) and agile enough to fit our D.  We consistently try to 'fit' less than ideal body size/shape into that position--this year's draft class is different.

Also, RT prospects abound in this draft class, which is also somewhat unusual...

One could also argue, that this draft is rich in developmental QB prospects, if we want to bring one in to push Mason/Pickett.

And while there appears to not be 'top-shelf' Edge guys, or CBs, I think the draft is fairly deep at those positions.

I may be looking at this draft through Black-and-gold' glasses, but to me, this draft class sets up well for us...

I do not think Bowers is a generational talent any more than Pitts was.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I do not think Bowers is a generational talent any more than Pitts was.

I don't think it's an 'either/or' question...I think they both were 'generational' prospects.  I don't think stating that one prospect is one, negates the ability for there to be a 2nd one...if so, then pick a better word than 'generational', that I used, but I think Bowers and Pitts are/were better TE prospects than we'd seen in the last 15 or so years.

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

Bowers and Frieeirmuth would be the worst blocking TEs on a team. Would be a horrible selection by the Steelers. I can give you a day 3 selection with as much physical talent as Bowers. He actually was a WR but outgrew the position. He can function inline or flex. He has good speed and quickness for the position. He is a solid blocker but he is a mismatch in the passing game. He's is Trey Knox. Listed at 6'5 245, Knox has developed into a solid TE but is not getting any love from the national outlets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

If we take Bowers you almost have to trade Freirmuth and he certainly won’t get an extension. I’m with @armsteeld I love Bowers as a prospect but having two below average blocking tight ends is an awful, awful fit for Arthur Smith’s offense.

The Bengals will take Browers at 17 so do not worry about it.

https://x.com/allbrightnfl/status/1755604632951574767?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

Mccarthy getting some top 10 steam already. I’m with Albright I think he is clear QB4.

Jon Ledyard said his situation could be similar to Justin Herbert where he was in a gimmicky screen heavy offense in college but when you got to the NFL you could instantly see he was so much more than that. McCarthy wasn’t asked to do much at all at Michigan but they didn’t really need him to. I am intrigued by his tools and he did make a couple of plays in the NC game that wowed me.

I wouldn’t hate it at all if he fell to pick 20, I am curious how everyone else feels.