Free Agency 2024

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Allow me to rephrase - WR is something that doesn't have to be addressed with premium FA dollars or draft picks. You're correct in stating that Nico was the only one in Baltimore, but both 2/3 were out for the year and your 4th guy (Robert Woods) was basically walking wounded. If you're down to your 5th/6th/7th WR (Hutch, Metchie, Sims) that sort of downturn is going to happen, and there's no real guarantee that whoever you pick up is going to stay healthy, y'know?

The one game where Collins, Dell and Brown (and Schultz, he's a big part of this) were at 100% was the TB game - and that's the game where Stroud went for 470/5, so it isn't as if the right components weren't on roster, they were just hurt. Right now, your WR room looks like Collins/Tank/Woods/Hutch/Metchie. You didn't need to add a top tier guy to this group, Noah Brown was enough to get the offense clicking in the right direction; Ideally, you can find another Brown, someone who showed signs of breaking out elsewhere, but can come in cheap and produce. Another option is drafting one on D2 of the draft - especially this year, where talent you'll find late would probably be considered better than 1st round guys last year.

CJ Stroud is a rare talent in that he elevates his surrounding cast. You don't need to find elite WRs, he takes good WRs and makes them look elite (Nico and Brown are prime examples). Use that to your advantage.

To add to this - teams that have 3 legit WRs didn't really throw a ton of resources to get them. They trusted their scouting process and brought in early D2 guys to create their WR room. Seattle was Metcalf/Lockett for the last half decade or so, JSN was the recent addition - and that's less about bringing in 3 WRs, more about cutting Lockett (or trading Metcalf, who has been pretty much a malcontent lately). 

The GB WR room is all mid round rookies or 2nd year guys - only high draft pick in that group is Christian Watson, who isn't even the lead dog in that group. Ideally you build that way - Packers have made a habit of finding 2nd-5th round guys at the position because Aaron Rodgers (and now Jordan Love) can now elevate his guys. This has been their model since guys like Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson were dominating secondaries as Packers.

San Fran is two WRs, Deebo and Aiyuk. I don't think Ray Ray McCloud or Ronnie Bell really move the needle. Ditto Tampa (Evans/Godwin and... Trey Palmer?)

Detroit's sort of fits (ARSB, Josh Reynolds and Jameson Williams) but Reynolds wasn't exactly a high priority FA, he fits that Noah Brown mold of underutilized in LA and outperforming expectations in Detroit.

The Rams sort of fit my idea the best - Cooper Kupp was a 3rd round pick who developed into an elite guy and Pukachu was a 5th round guy who absolutely nobody saw coming as an elite player. The Rams identified traits - great route running, high football IQ, great hands and good football character - and found guys that nobody else was looking at, trusting their evaluation over the names available. 

THAT's what I want. Find the gems on day 2/3, use your premium assets (picks and FA dollars) to bring in rare talents at other positions of need. 

This is my exactly line of thinking. The way the football has evolved from the HS ranks through college and developmental wise with 7 on 7. There's enough WR talent out there that with the right scouting you can find in the mid rounds. Paired with the right veteran who may be the odd man out at his old team due to younger, cheaper option, is what we need. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

This is my exactly line of thinking. The way the football has evolved from the HS ranks through college and developmental wise with 7 on 7. There's enough WR talent out there that with the right scouting you can find in the mid rounds. Paired with the right veteran who may be the odd man out at his old team due to younger, cheaper option, is what we need. 

My real train of thought here is that if you're really wanting to use FA dollars at the position - extend Nico to the tune of 4/$75mm ($18.75mm AAV - just below Brandin Cooks and good for 15th highest paid WR in football).

If Nico has another 80/1200/8 season, this is going to look like a steal of a deal. If this was a one season wonder, you're not broken entirely.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tab said:

it feels so weird to not be involved in the coaching carousel this year

It feels even weirder to think we have to have plans if one of our coordinators gets a HC gig. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Vrabel was the only one ever poached, right? I remember Rick Dennison getting momentum as a HC candidate back in 2011 or 2012 but never got picked. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It feels even weirder to think we have to have plans if one of our coordinators gets a HC gig. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Vrabel was the only one ever poached, right? I remember Rick Dennison getting momentum as a HC candidate back in 2011 or 2012 but never got picked. 

Ya that sounds about right 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

And Vrabel was only given the DC role to keep him from leaving in the first place. 

I was chatting with my fantasy league about the Texans, and a few of them waxed poetic on Mike Evans and Chris Jones. I think Jones priced himself out of the conversation over the last few weeks and I'm of the impression that Evans isn't really leaving Tampa. That was met with the usual disdain, followed by the "who do YOU want?" discussion.

So, here are some thoughts on FA options nobody is talking about, along with some reasoning:

- G Robert Hunt, Miami: He's probably my most coveted target, Hunt has position versatility (played both T spots, but his best position is LG). His experience in the Mike McDaniels offense should make for an easy transition to Slowik's scheme, and a guy who paved the way for Raheem Mostert and Devon Achane should help out whoever gets the ball here.

- Kevin Zeitler, G, Baltimore: His age (33) is a concern, but he's been playing at a high level for a while, this season being no different. A great vet presence with experience to lean on, he could help mentor the younger guys into better performances down the line.

- Kendall Fuller, CB/S, Washington: Fuller has high level experience at boundary CB, slot CB and S. Given the health and performance concerns of Jimmie Ward and Jalen Pitre, having a guy who can slide into either spot (or line up opposite Derek Stingley Jr) seems like a chess piece Matt Burkes and DeMeco Ryans could use well. 

- Xavier McKinney, S, NYG: Perhaps my most coveted guy on defense, the stout McKinney demonstrated he can be very rangy in deep coverage, which is a change from his original billing as a big box S. Ideally, McKinney would play up top, and Ward/Pitre could platoon opposite, with all three getting in on short down/distance passing situations. 

- Tony Pollard, RB, Dallas: While Saquan or Henry are the sexier names, Pollard might be the more reliable name with actual tread left on his tires. Last season didn't yield as many explosive plays as it was two years ago behind Zeke, it was still a productive (yet pedestrian) season for Pollard. Buying low on Pollard could lead to a bigger return than what Devin Singletary gave you. 

- Gabe Davis, WR, Buffalo: This is the sort of guy that you'd want alongside CJ Stroud, a brutal speed merchant with prototypical size and ball skills. His best route is anything that goes long, and his speed forces a S to sit up top, giving Nico and Tank room to work under the zone. 

- Grover Stewart, DT, Indianapolis: Just a granite wall down low, Stewart requires multiple guys to block him; He's not fast and won't get many sacks, but he completely disrupts the inside of a pocket.

• Like 2

No basis for this, but if Mike Evans doesn't happen, I could see curtis Samuel being signed and being used in a Deebo Samuel type role. I'd be content with Nico, Tank, and Samuel as our top 3 WRs. 

• Like 4

I have more faith in Caserio nailing this offseason than I've ever had in anything Texans related. You just know he's crunching numbers and building like a million different scenario boards or some **** at this very moment. I honestly don't expect anything too flashy. I think we'll get back a bunch of our own players at reasonable deals, some 1 year, some 2 year deals (like I think I would try to get Cashman for a couple years at least), and I think we'll maximize every remaining penny upgrading the roster wherever possible in the most efficient possible manner. This year's roster was a damn work of art, that guy can ******* cook. I just can't wait to see what it looks like. 

• Like 3

On 1/29/2024 at 10:47 AM, LORK88 said:

No basis for this, but if Mike Evans doesn't happen, I could see curtis Samuel being signed and being used in a Deebo Samuel type role. I'd be content with Nico, Tank, and Samuel as our top 3 WRs. 

Just to clarify - if the Texans end up landing Evans or Jones, I'd be absolutely over the moon. I've listed reasons why NOT and have listed options other than them (perhaps as a coping mechanism - I've dealt with a lot of spoiled expectations) but if it happened and we got the big names? I'd be doing cartwheels.

Don't take my indifference as me not wanting them. I'm just trying to be as pragmatic as possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Just to clarify - if the Texans end up landing Evans or Jones, I'd be absolutely over the moon. I've listed reasons why NOT and have listed options other than them (perhaps as a coping mechanism - I've dealt with a lot of spoiled expectations) but if it happened and we got the big names? I'd be doing cartwheels.

Don't take my indifference as me not wanting them. I'm just trying to be as pragmatic as possible.

Totally get it, better to err on the side of caution. I think they Texans will sign 1 splash FA and the rest will be fringe starters/backups to round out the roster. I don't think anyone would complain about getting Mike Evans, although there's a ton of complexity around it and also why I haven't put a ton of confidence in the rumor. Curtis Samuel was my attempt to do the same, offer a realistic FA that would make sense. 

• Like 4

On 1/23/2024 at 9:09 AM, ET80 said:

My real train of thought here is that if you're really wanting to use FA dollars at the position - extend Nico to the tune of 4/$75mm ($18.75mm AAV - just below Brandin Cooks and good for 15th highest paid WR in football).

If Nico has another 80/1200/8 season, this is going to look like a steal of a deal. If this was a one season wonder, you're not broken entirely.

I'm on board with this and drafting McCaffrey in the 4th. If Caserio needs to trade up into the 3rd I'm good with this.