49ers [24] Packers [21] - PostGame Thread

CWood21

8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

This.

I really can't understand why some people just can't acknowledge reality. So emotionally tied to their opinion that they need to voraciously defend ANY crumb of information that doesn't support it. 

It's wild to me. 

I'd LOVE to upgrade the mentality of the defense this off-season. But let's not pretend that Joe Barry hasn't done a really nice job the end of the season with some really questionable talent in the secondary. Especially in the middle.

He stopped Jaran Hall and Justin Fields. He set the bar so low that you actually consider that an accomplishment.

Cowboys game was very similar defensively to the Chiefs game, they moved the ball, some great individual performances by our players were had, Dak looked horrible. Tonight, another horrible QB performance.

Really nice is a total stretch. Joe figured out how to finally play a heavy box and shut down the run, that I will give him credit for. If he comes back that will give us a better shot at not being the 27th best defense in the NFL (from 30th two weeks prior, 32nd if you eliminate the Brett Rypien game). Take the last 4 games and stretch them across the full season and account for the fact that we'll actually play some QBs that are on one, probably results in like a 14-18th ranked defense. Woohoo, if that's LaFleur's standard he can go, he'll never win a championship and forever be a tease.

He's still the anti-Lafleur, his success is always based around the individual performances of his players on their own, because he can't scheme anything to elevate their play on his own. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Leader said:

Gary was gassed, have to remember an off-season spent rehabbing an ACL is one without much true conditioning. Next year will be huge for him to hopefully keep his legs all year. He works his *** off so I know he'll come back better.

• Like 2

First rewatch.....two defining plays:

Kittle TD- we blitzed, 6 rushers and no pressure. Rookie reserve safety blows assignment, SF scores. Just bad execution.

10:45 left in 3rd quarter, Tom leaves game and we lose our rhythm. Couple of big plays, one big PI but no consistency.

We reverted to Barry defense, bad tackling and soft coverage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Won't hurt to bring in competition, but the emotional reactions of wanting to fire everyone who made a mistake is a mistake itself.

But I know our FO is patient. Anders is most likely going to be our kicker this year again. 

Cutting him into an off-season where he can spend it improving would be about the dumbest thing imaginable after riding out the season with him, but this is our fanbase we're talking about. Sign a bet kicker and let them compete. If he loses try to keep him on the PS for a year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He stopped Jaran Hall and Justin Fields. He set the bar so low that you actually consider that an accomplishment.

Cowboys game was very similar defensively to the Chiefs game, they moved the ball, some great individual performances by our players were had, Dak looked horrible. Tonight, another horrible QB performance.

Really nice is a total stretch. Joe figured out how to finally play a heavy box and shut down the run, that I will give him credit for. If he comes back that will give us a better shot at not being the 27th best defense in the NFL (from 30th two weeks prior, 32nd if you eliminate the Brett Rypien game). Take the last 4 games and stretch them across the full season and account for the fact that we'll actually play some QBs that are on one, probably results in like a 14-18th ranked defense. Woohoo, if that's LaFleur's standard he can go, he'll never win a championship and forever be a tease.

He's still the anti-Lafleur, his success is always based around the individual performances of his players on their own, because he can't scheme anything to elevate their play on his own. 

I've consistently said it's a position that's upgradeable, but Barry became an easy target for a few reasons.

(1) Our defense hasn't been good for stretches under him. This year especially.

(2) Packers fans are conditioned to blame ANYONE but the QB for failings and the DC is ALWAYS the easiest scapegoat. Every DC receives the wrath of our fanbase regardless of how they're actually doing.

(3) He's a quiet personality. A lot of fans want mic'd up DCs

But we really should critically examine how he did relative to the talent he had on the field, especially in the secondary. I think he could have done even MORE with the front 7 talent to mask it, however. But the failings from last night were individual DB failings more than anything else. We were getting pretty consistent pressure. The front 7 created opportunities for our DBs and they literally and figuratively dropped the ball in this one.

Loss hurts but the game was there for the taking.  Too many missed opportunities.   Carlson will be our kicker next year.  He'll improve.  Not sure on Barry.  Defense did play pretty well down the stretch.  He might have saved his job but would be nice to find a better DC. 

Pack went toe to toe and really outplayed SF IMO.  Had Savage made that pick it might have been a completely different game.  We needed to take advantage early and we didn't.  

Fun season I'm not complaining.  Heartbreak is nothing new 31 teams will experience it.  Takes not only talent but a little luck to win it all.  We'll probably win it all in the next few years.  Kind of screwed our draft but oh well.  

• Like 2