Lions-Bucs: Colossal Time Mismanagement Missed?

TL-TwoWinsAway

Bowles came out today and said they just gave up. Fire him today.  “They already had a field goal lined up and there would’ve been about 12 seconds left on the clock to end the ball game, and we weren’t going to come back from that. No sense in prolonging the obvious.”

Then Dan Campbell later he didn’t handle well the victory formation, and said they should have bled more clock. He said they were fortunate the Bucs didn’t call a timeout.

So there was no gentleman's agreement. This was a huge mistake by the lions and the Bucs just ignored it.

2 minutes ago, Nbanflguy said:

Bowles came out today and said they just gave up. Fire him today.  “They already had a field goal lined up and there would’ve been about 12 seconds left on the clock to end the ball game, and we weren’t going to come back from that. No sense in prolonging the obvious.”

Then Dan Campbell later he didn’t handle well the victory formation, and said they should have bled more clock. He said they were fortunate the Bucs didn’t call a timeout.

So there was no gentleman's agreement. This was a huge mistake by the lions and the Bucs just ignored it.

Holy hell. Absolutely shocking.

That statement shows two things: 1) Bowles was aware of the timeout, and 2) Bowles would rather give up than force Badgley to attempt a kick that he has a roughly 77% chance of making.

Unreal. Bowles shouldn't be anywhere close to another head coaching position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nbanflguy said:

Or it’s nothing and people are just bored 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Saw soemthing today saying the NBC graphic was just wrong and they had no timeout. That makes a helluva lot more sense than Bowles just giving up.

I wish. Bowles himself admitted today that he knew they had a timeout:

"They were in field-goal range, would have had 12 seconds calculated after using that timeout to come back from it, then we would’ve been down 11 points,” Bowles told beat reporters. “It’s kind of pointless. You kind of know when the game is over, and the game was over."

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/todd-bowles-on-why-he-didnt-use-his-final-timeout-no-sense-in-prolonging-the-obvious

32 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Or it’s nothing and people are just bored 

I like you a lot, so I don't want you to think that I'm coming at you or anything. I just have to ask:

If, by some miracle, the Lions make the Super Bowl, and if they find themselves down by 8 against the Chiefs with 35 seconds left on 4th down with one timeout remaining, would you rather Campbell use that timeout to stop the clock and give themselves a chance, or just let the clock run and end the game?

19 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Detroit was up 8 in FG range. Even if TB took the TO, Detroit kicks a FG and goes up 11. TB was never getting back in it. The game was over. 

I think this was their mindset, but a Great coach plays till the end - call the TO, send everything you've got to block it and hope for an Auburn style miracle... we've seen it countless times before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Holy hell. Absolutely shocking.

That statement shows two things: 1) Bowles was aware of the timeout, and 2) Bowles would rather give up than force Badgley to attempt a kick that he has a roughly 77% chance of making.

Unreal. Bowles shouldn't be anywhere close to another head coaching position.

What is easier for Bowles to admit? Incompetence(not realizing TO and clock situation) or apathy (knowing the situation and not caring enough to "prolong the obvious")?

I think Bowles thinks it would be easier to explain apathy. 

Edited by Nnivolcm

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I like you a lot, so I don't want you to think that I'm coming at you or anything. I just have to ask:

If, by some miracle, the Lions make the Super Bowl, and if they find themselves down by 8 against the Chiefs with 35 seconds left on 4th down with one timeout remaining, would you rather Campbell use that timeout to stop the clock and give themselves a chance, or just let the clock run and end the game?

I would have kicked the XP and used the TO early. They didn’t. So the 4th down is taking one piece of the situation and disregarding the rest. You think Goff kneels early if they use a TO? 

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

I would have kicked the XP and used the TO early. They didn’t. So the 4th down is taking one piece of the situation and disregarding the rest. You think Goff kneels early if they use a TO? 

Well, I don't really know. I don't know if the Lions would've played it differently. That still leaves us with the fact that Bowles could have stopped the clock with 35 seconds left on 4th down, down by 8 points, and chose to let the game end instead.

• Like 1

Lions were euphoric and blundered. Bowles fell asleep at the wheel because he was content getting the game back to one score to say, “hey, we were competitive. Give me a two year extension.”

Just… wow.