Lions-Bucs: Colossal Time Mismanagement Missed?

TL-TwoWinsAway

Need some help with this from the FF community. I'm not getting it.

The Detroit Lions got the ball with 1:33 left, up 8 points. The Buccaneers had 1 timeout remaining.

Here's the sequence that ended the game:

1st & 10 at TB 28: (1:33 - 4th) J.Goff kneels to TB 29 for -1 yards.

2nd & 11 at TB 29: (1:06 - 4th) J.Goff kneels to TB 30 for -1 yards.

3rd & 12 at TB 30: (0:34 - 4th) J.Goff kneels to TB 31 for -1 yards.

Goff only killed 27 seconds between the first and second knee and 32 seconds between the second and third knee. TB could have stopped the clock after the 3rd down knee, leaving ~32 seconds on the stopped clock and forcing DET to make a 4th down decision.

Am I missing something? Why wouldn't the Bucs use the timeout when they could have possibly gotten the ball back, down by only one possession?

The only guess I can make is that they conceded. But, normally teams don't use the timeouts because it wouldn't make a difference. However, since Goff wasn't using the entire playclock it definitely would have made a difference, but I doubt anyone was actually paying attention.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The only guess I can make is that they conceded. But, normally teams don't use the timeouts because it wouldn't make a difference. However, since Goff wasn't using the entire playclock it definitely would have made a difference, but I doubt anyone was actually paying attention.

That is shocking, though, right?

An NFL coaching staff, competing for an opportunity to go to the NFC Championship... not a single one of those individuals noticed that Goff took the second knee way too early?

That's insane to me.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

That is shocking, though, right?

An NFL coaching staff, competing for an opportunity to go to the NFC Championship... not a single one of those individuals noticed that Goff took the second knee way too early?

That's insane to me.

There's a reason Todd Bowles flopped in NY and the Bucs have, though they had a good season, regressed since he took over for Arians. We're not talking about some great coach here....

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I think people are trying to make something out of nothing 

What's the "something"?

A team decided to end a playoff game with a timeout in their pocket instead of using it to stop the clock on 4th down, down by one score with 35 seconds left.

Help me understand.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

There's a reason Todd Bowles flopped in NY and the Bucs have, though they had a good season, regressed since he took over for Arians. We're not talking about some great coach here....

But it's not just Bowles. It's every single coach on their coaching staff. Every member present at the game. No one thought "Hey, we can get the ball back..."?

3 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

But it's not just Bowles. It's every single coach on their coaching staff. Every member present at the game. No one thought "Hey, we can get the ball back..."?

Mystery solved. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Need some help with this from the FF community. I'm not getting it.

The Detroit Lions got the ball with 1:33 left, up 8 points. The Buccaneers had 1 timeout remaining.

Here's the sequence that ended the game:

1st & 10 at TB 28: (1:33 - 4th) J.Goff kneels to TB 29 for -1 yards.

2nd & 11 at TB 29: (1:06 - 4th) J.Goff kneels to TB 30 for -1 yards.

3rd & 12 at TB 30: (0:34 - 4th) J.Goff kneels to TB 31 for -1 yards.

Goff only killed 27 seconds between the first and second knee and 32 seconds between the second and third knee. TB could have stopped the clock after the 3rd down knee, leaving ~32 seconds on the stopped clock and forcing DET to make a 4th down decision.

Am I missing something? Why wouldn't the Bucs use the timeout when they could have possibly gotten the ball back, down by only one possession?

They absolutely should have called the timeout and forced the decision. I'd be irked if my team did that.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

There's a reason they lost, too. 

Nobody is accusing Tampa Bay's coaching staff of being particularly good. They're safe by virtue of making the playoffs, but they only did so by virtue of their division being in the gutter. 

3 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

What's the "something"?

A team decided to end a playoff game with a timeout in their pocket instead of using it to stop the clock on 4th down, down by one score with 35 seconds left.

Help me understand.

Detroit was up 8 in FG range. Even if TB took the TO, Detroit kicks a FG and goes up 11. TB was never getting back in it. The game was over. 

48 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Detroit was up 8 in FG range. Even if TB took the TO, Detroit kicks a FG and goes up 11. TB was never getting back in it. The game was over. 

But why not play for the blocked or missed field goal then?

• Like 1