Lions-Bucs: Colossal Time Mismanagement Missed?

TL-TwoWinsAway

3 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I wish. Bowles himself admitted today that he knew they had a timeout:

"They were in field-goal range, would have had 12 seconds calculated after using that timeout to come back from it, then we would’ve been down 11 points,” Bowles told beat reporters. “It’s kind of pointless. You kind of know when the game is over, and the game was over."

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/todd-bowles-on-why-he-didnt-use-his-final-timeout-no-sense-in-prolonging-the-obvious

Why is he acting like the field goal was automatic?

• Like 1

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Right?! It wasn't even a chip shot, and it's not like the Lions have a great kicker right now.

The whole thing is extremely odd (at best).

And it's the Lions. They could have found a way to mess it up or the refs could have screwed them again

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

And it's the Lions. They could have found a way to mess it up or the refs could have screwed them again

When you think about it, they sort of... did. Goff only killing 27 seconds after the first knee would've been one of those "same old Lions" situations.

If only Bowles wanted to try and win it.

4 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Or it’s nothing and people are just bored 

How? How? How can you say that? In the NFL playoffs the head coach of a team had a choice: Do you want a 0% chance of winning? Or do you want a small chance of winning and continuing the Super Bowl dream and the coach willingly and purposely chose the 0% option. How is that acceptable? 

• Like 1

Just now, NudeTayne said:

If ownership played this right, this could paint them as the heroes if they fire Bowles now instead of likely a lame-duck season incoming.

Also Tayne: if keeping Bowles means they sign Baker I say keep Bowles 😀.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nbanflguy said:

How? How? How can you say that? In the NFL playoffs the head coach of a team had a choice: Do you want a 0% chance of winning? Or do you want a small chance of winning and continuing the Super Bowl dream and the coach willingly and purposely chose the 0% option. How is that acceptable? 

It was under 1:40. Even with a TO, Detroit could milk the clock down. With all the exciting football being played, a handful of people want to create scandal out of nothing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

It was under 1:40. Even with a TO, Detroit could milk the clock down. With all the exciting football being played, a handful of people want to create scandal out of nothing. 

This, it's not like they were on their own 10 or whatever. Just run backwards for 20 yards for two plays, games over.

• Like 2

"First of all, we didn't handle that whole thing well on our end," Campbell said. "We should've bled it more than we did. Look, I'll be the first to admit that, and that's on me. We knew they had a timeout left, and I could tell he wasn't gonna call it. So, that's just, that's how it ended.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

You keep leaving out that they already knelt twice and TB wasn’t using the TO. 

Well, I'm not really leaving it out. I acknowledge that it happened. That doesn't change the fact that Bowles could have taken a timeout with 35 seconds left on 4th down.

But, maybe that's a strategy: don't use that timeout and make your opponent think it's over, then use it right at the end. I don't know. I do know that Bowles could have stopped the clock on 4th down. That's a fact.

8 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

They could have….. BUT THEY DIDNT. At the end of the day Tampa bay could have called a timeout with 35 seconds, put Detroit into an uncomfortable situation, and turned a 0% chance of winning into a small chance. That’s not debatable. That is what happened. Bowles was gifted a free mega millions lottery ticket and instead chose the 0% option 

Edited by Nbanflguy
  • Like 1