NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions @ San Francisco 49ers

Louis Friend

29 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Play 7 was that dumb play with St Brown at HB right? Yes no joke that is where the wheels fell off. Got too cute. 

The play that gained 2 yards? Just like half of the other run plays.  The wheels fell off on the next play when Reynolds dropped the ball on what would have been a first down.   

10 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

So .3% was the analytics he chose to go off? Hmmm. Bold move or bad choice. Even analytics don't favor his choices much but I'm sure there is some out there that favor it more 

This analytic does show in favor of going for it. Its a close choice, but its what we have done all year.  And if they missed the FG, you would be saying they should have went for it.  Its just moving the goal posts to make yourself think you have a point. 

19 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The play that gained 2 yards? Just like half of the other run plays.  The wheels fell off on the next play when Reynolds dropped the ball on what would have been a first down.   

Your RBs are ripping defense and you shift your slot WR to RB? Come on. That was a failure and 4th down doesn't happen if they use one of the two RBs to run the ball. 

17 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

This analytic does show in favor of going for it. Its a close choice, but its what we have done all year.  And if they missed the FG, you would be saying they should have went for it.  Its just moving the goal posts to make yourself think you have a point. 

I would not have said they should go for it if they missed FG. 

FG was the right call 

2 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

He's still a horrid game manager.

Great coach but he should get someone on his hip to make decisions during game.

He needs a baby sitter in those moments 

I think he is a great game manager. I love his decision making and I realize for every point he passes up we more than make up for in sustained drives. I'm glad he is our coach and I hope he continues to piss you off. I'm afraid you are going to be hating him until they fire him because it isn't going to change. SOL Fan. The best thing DC does is he doesn't listen to typical Lions fans.

10 minutes ago, idoubtit said:

I think he is a great game manager. I love his decision making and I realize for every point he passes up we more than make up for in sustained drives. I'm glad he is our coach and I hope he continues to piss you off. I'm afraid you are going to be hating him until they fire him because it isn't going to change. SOL Fan. The best thing DC does is he doesn't listen to typical Lions fans.

I don't want him fired. I think he's a great coach. I think he's horrid game manager. Never once said he should be fired. 

So if people disagree with points of view they are SOL.

Lol okay. You can be a great coach and a horrid game manager. Majority of NFL fans agree he is a horrid game manager.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

I don't want him fired. I think he's a great coach. I think he's horrid game manager. Never once said he should be fired. 

So if people disagree with points of view they are SOL.

Lol okay. You can be a great coach and a horrid game manager. Majority of NFL fans agree he is a horrid game manager.

I think part of that is due to the methods that he is using. The analytics are not something that most NFL fans are aware of or all that knowledgeable about. The majority of fans are basing their opinion of his strategies on what they know and what is tradition. The numbers say that he usually makes the right call. 

I don't think any of his calls to go for it cost us the game. Our defense was getting absolutely shredded. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lions017 said:

I think part of that is due to the methods that he is using. The analytics are not something that most NFL fans are aware of or all that knowledgeable about. The majority of fans are basing their opinion of his strategies on what they know and what is tradition. The numbers say that he usually makes the right call. 

I don't think any of his calls to go for it cost us the game. Our defense was getting absolutely shredded. 

It contributed significantly because he gave them momentum  

1 minute ago, detfan782004 said:

It contributed significantly because he gave them momentum  

And that's not exactly a concrete term. There's no way to necessarily prove that. It's more of an intuitive thing. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. 

1 minute ago, Lions017 said:

And that's not exactly a concrete term. There's no way to necessarily prove that. It's more of an intuitive thing. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. 

Anyone who doesn't thing that gave momentum on the road to the home team I am speechless 

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

Anyone who doesn't thing that gave momentum on the road to the home team I am speechless 

I’m pretty sure he meant there is no way to quantify that momentum shift. Which you can’t. It’s not measurable.

I mean did sf gain 90% more momentum by det going for it vs 60% momentum increase if det kicks a fg?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, idoubtit said:

The key reason we lost this game was experience. In the second half, when going to the Super Bowl was a real possibility we had some key drops, a key fumble, some key DB mistakes, and some key pass rush errors. Getting to the SB is hard and the 9ers are certainly aware of it. The number of playoff games they've played is staggering compared to the Lions.

Campbell is right that it will be hard to get back to the NFC championship game again but the key will be how much guys learn from it. Some guys clearly have no business being on a championship roster but guys like Gibbs can learn a lot from their mistakes. The same will be true for guys who didn't make glaring mistakes but who could have played a lot better like Hutch, Alim, Campbell, Branch, etc.

There was a graphic at the beginning of the game that the 49ers roster had played in 73 combined championship games, Lions roster had 7 and that was from Goff, Anzalone and CJGJ. 

55 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

There was a graphic at the beginning of the game that the 49ers roster had played in 73 combined championship games, Lions roster had 7 and that was from Goff, Anzalone and CJGJ. 

I don't know if it was experience or what but the 2nd half of the game was the first time this season where the moment seemed to big for the players on the field.  We haven't seen them flinch in a lot of big situations but late in this game, they flinched.

8 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Losing Ben Johnson is going to hurt.  Every team that is good and loses coordinators struggles.  New England couldnt find a replacement for McDaniels and the Eagles struggled after losing both of theirs.  Ben Johnson has his flaws but he is the reason we are the 5th highest scoring offense and 3rd highest yards in the league this year.  His scheme and ability to develop and utilize guys like Laporta, ARSB, and Gibbs is huge.  Sure we may find someone else that is great but its hard to find the right guy.  Anyone happy he will be gone is simply looking at a few bad calls which every single coach in the NFL has had. 

I'll be happier if we keep him. I just think he's not the god the rest of the league seems to think he is.

• Like 1