2023 AFC Championship: (3) Kansas City Chiefs @ (1) B'more 'vens

Who's going to the Super Bowl?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the AFCCG

• Ravens
    • Chiefs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/28/2024 at 08:00 PM

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

The Chiefs dominate a smash-mouth game in lousy weather. Who-da thunk it?

It's not even that they dominated a smash-mouth game. The Ravens never even tried to play a smash-mouth game on offense, and in the very limited occasions where they did, they dominated!

The 20+ yard rush for Lamar on 4th and 1. Gus Edwards had a 15 yard run on one of his 3(?) carries.

The Ravens' gameplan just...doesn't make sense whatsoever. KC did what they do on both sides of the ball and just let Baltimore beat themselves.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's not even that they dominated a smash-mouth game. The Ravens never even tried to play a smash-mouth game on offense, and in the very limited occasions where they did, they dominated!

The 20+ yard rush for Lamar on 4th and 1. Gus Edwards had a 15 yard run on one of his 3(?) carries.

The Ravens' gameplan just...doesn't make sense whatsoever. KC did what they do on both sides of the ball and just let Baltimore beat themselves.

It was baffling to me that Gus didn't get any real run.. I think that 15 yarder was in the 1st quarter, and Monken just never went back to him

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, adamq said:

It was baffling to me that Gus didn't get any real run.. I think that 15 yarder was in the 1st quarter, and Monken just never went back to him

Ravens got stuffed a couple times and abandoned the run. Very Andy Reid-esque. 

23 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I tried to look into some stuff on this for an explanation, and honestly it made even less sense the deeper I dove. Like, my thought was okay, everyone knew the Ravens had an advantage running, so maybe we went heavy to push them out of it. We run a ton of nickel, maybe we stayed in base. But our 3 LBs combined for 116 snaps over 58 plays. We averaged exactly 2 LBs per play. So we didn't go heavy.

Now we did pressure and keep guys close to the line. But I would not think you'd be concerned about Chamarri Conner or Justin Reid in the box when you can throw Patrick Ricard out there.

Y'all had 4 WRs outsnap Gus Edwards. Forget the carries, dude barely saw the field. Ricard saw even less. Averaged 1 TE on the firld per snap. Baltimore's WRs versus our DBs was visibly the best matchup for us, and this was known by anyone who knew the teams pre-game. And that was what they leaned into.

I would've even understood going pass happy if it was out of heavy personnel. The run was hit or miss the few times it was tried. But, like pass out of 12 personnel. Why are you in 10 or 11 the entire game? Go heavy, play action, and create conflict. No one is scared of Nelson Agholor or Rashod Bateman on a clear pass play.

• Like 5

Just now, Jakuvious said:

I tried to look into some stuff on this for an explanation, and honestly it made even less sense the deeper I dove. Like, my thought was okay, everyone knew the Ravens had an advantage running, so maybe we went heavy to push them out of it. We run a ton of nickel, maybe we stayed in base. But our 3 LBs combined for 116 snaps over 58 plays. We averaged exactly 2 LBs each game. So we didn't go heavy.

Now we did pressure and keep guys close to the line. But I would not think you'd be concerned about Chamarri Conner or Justin Reid in the box when you can throw Patrick Ricard out there.

Y'all had 4 WRs outsnap Gus Edwards. Forget the carries, dude barely saw the field. Ricard saw even less. Averaged 1 TE on the firld per snap. Baltimore's WRs versus our DBs was visibly the best matchup for us, and this was known by anyone who knew the teams pre-game. And that was what they leaned into.

I would've even understood going pass happy if it was out of heavy personnel. The run was hit or miss the few times it was tried. But, like pass out of 12 personnel. Why are you in 10 or 11 the entire game? Go heavy, play action, and create conflict. No one is scared of Nelson Agholor or Rashod Bateman on a clear pass play.

Trust me none of it made sense. Not only did we abandon our run game, we abandoned our heavy packages and also abandoned our LT rotation which was keeping Stanley healthy and fresh.

Nothing about our gameplan made sense. Furthermore, the refusal to adjust during the game made even less sense. Then, when Harbaugh was asked about it he just said "That's how the game went".

It's just simply unacceptable.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Yes. But he messed it up. 

Late to this but I don’t believe he did. Apparently you can decline an offside penalty but you can’t with a personal foul penalty. So to force a 1st and 10, the personal foul has to happen.

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I tried to look into some stuff on this for an explanation, and honestly it made even less sense the deeper I dove. Like, my thought was okay, everyone knew the Ravens had an advantage running, so maybe we went heavy to push them out of it. We run a ton of nickel, maybe we stayed in base. But our 3 LBs combined for 116 snaps over 58 plays. We averaged exactly 2 LBs per play. So we didn't go heavy.

You know, reading this is the first time I might actually give credence to the idea, maybe it wasn't the best thing for Andrews and Humphrey to try and play this week. Almost feels like the need to "include" them in the game plan deprived some other players who had been key contributors during our stretch run of snaps, and in turn probably altered certain play calls.

12 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

You know, reading this is the first time I might actually give credence to the idea, maybe it wasn't the best thing for Andrews and Humphrey to try and play this week. Almost feels like the need to "include" them in the game plan deprived some other players who had been key contributors during our stretch run of snaps, and in turn probably altered certain play calls.

You don’t get worse with your best players coming back. This isn’t the NBA where you ride the “hot hand”.. 

1 minute ago, El Ramster said:

You don’t get worse with your best players coming back. This isn’t the NBA where you ride the “hot hand”.. 

It's not a question of talent, but rather incorporating those major players back into a scheme that has been yielding you success for some time now, especially in a one week window. If you need to design plays to get Andrews some touches and get him going again, maybe it comes at the expense of running a pass play where you might have previously ran a running play. Maybe if you have to have Marlon starting, that throws off where the other corners have been playing the past few weeks and screws up the chemistry in the secondary.

Again, not speaking to the talent of those guys, just how difficult it is to try and incorporate those guys on a whim.

4 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

It's not a question of talent, but rather incorporating those major players back into a scheme that has been yielding you success for some time now, especially in a one week window. If you need to design plays to get Andrews some touches and get him going again, maybe it comes at the expense of running a pass play where you might have previously ran a running play. Maybe if you have to have Marlon starting, that throws off where the other corners have been playing the past few weeks and screws up the chemistry in the secondary.

Again, not speaking to the talent of those guys, just how difficult it is to try and incorporate those guys on a whim.

Idk. How open was Andrew’s? I don’t really think he was force fed the ball. At the end of the day he’s their only elite weapon on offense. I think he did more good then harm

in hindsight and in theory. The passes I did see to Lively led to some bad choices. I was shocked that PI wasn’t called on one.. The offense was just so stale yesterday that you can’t say it was a for a fact. The game plan didn’t help and the hesitation made it worse. Who gets the credit? Chiefs Defense or the lack of play making. Because so many plays were left on the table… Just didn’t workout. 

Edited by El Ramster