Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

Made it to the FLGS yesterday to pick up my Folded Space inserts for Wingspan.

Used the rest of my store credit to get Honey Buzz as I have seen that on lots of people's top 10s and it was made by Elf Creek who did Atlantis Rising 2nd ed in 2019. One of my favorite games.

I've been curious about Unmatched the last couple of weeks so used my wife's discount at Barnes and Noble to get the Buffy the Vampire version. We are both Gen Xers that are big fans of the show, so it seemed like a good place to start. Probably will get this to the table tonight.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 11:03 AM, The Gnat said:

I am as well, but I'm holding out for the Marvel set coming later this year, I want Ghost Rider, Moon Knight and Luke Cage

Wife and I had fun playing this last night. Played two games and they were both pretty close.

It reminds me of King of Toyko except that instead of Dice you are using Cards to attack and defend with. Just trying to get your opponent to 0.

Definitely give it some more plays and want to add in the Bruce Lee character I picked up as well. I am also looking forward to that Marvel set. Moon Knight is one of my fav Marvel Characters. 

On 1/10/2021 at 9:24 AM, SirA1 said:

It reminds me of King of Toyko except that instead of Dice you are using Cards to attack and defend with. Just trying to get your opponent to 0.

I could see that about it. From what I've gathered there is a bit more of a tactical nature as well with moving on the board and positioning things like that, but mainly it's meant for head to head fighting.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I could see that about it. From what I've gathered there is a bit more of a tactical nature as well with moving on the board and positioning things like that, but mainly it's meant for head to head fighting.

We played again last night and the wife really enjoys it and wants to pick up more packs with different characters.

Bruce Lee is OP as all get out though. But so flavorful.

• Like 1

So had a virtual game night over Zoom on Saturday. Played Scattergories, Cross Clues, and Criss Cross, all were a solid time. Had two people who up who in person generally aren't too bad because as a couple they just argue with each other while agreeing the whole time. Over Zoom it means that they just talk over everyone.

Also got to play Metro X solo twice, it's a nice flip and write game.

Ordered a few new board games, one, Truffle Shuffle will be a gift (along with truffles) for my wife for Valentine's Day.

But I got Dice Forge, fun dice building game that I've played before, Railroad Ink: Deep Blue Edition and Welcome to Dinoworld, two roll and write games, Narabi a little puzzle card game, and TAGS, a fun looking party game.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:04 AM, The Gnat said:

Ordered a few new board games, one, Truffle Shuffle will be a gift (along with truffles) for my wife for Valentine's Day.

I ordered Truffle Shuffle as well a couple of weeks ago at my FLGS and just waiting for it to come in. 

We've played Unmatched about 5-6 times this week and really enjoy it. Wife played Bruce Lee tonight and I tried Willow for the first time. She is the only Ranged Character we have and was able to fend off Bruce until almost the final draw. 

8 hours ago, SirA1 said:

I ordered Truffle Shuffle as well a couple of weeks ago at my FLGS and just waiting for it to come in. 

We've played Unmatched about 5-6 times this week and really enjoy it. Wife played Bruce Lee tonight and I tried Willow for the first time. She is the only Ranged Character we have and was able to fend off Bruce until almost the final draw. 

Nice on both accounts, I just watched, last night, a couple of people stream Willow vs Angel. Team Willow won, but just barely.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I learned to play Dune: Imperium over the weekend through some solo games. I'm not normally a deck builder person but I love this game a lot. It's a Worker Placement/Deck Builder from the same company that does Klank.

Very thematic as well as I am a fan of Dune. Going to try and teach the wife to play tonight and hopefully get it to a game night in a few weeks. I think I will start with a couple of easier worker placement games to get them familiar with the concept first.

• Like 1

@SirA1are you familiar with Lost Ruins of Arnak (impossible to find right now but will have reprints) another worker placement deck building game. I want to pick that one up.

I am trading in two games now, Zombicide: Green Horde and Conan just because I have games that do similar things and I just don't see getting them to the table possibly ever. Of course, when I did that, I picked up a few games, mainly because Wasp came out for Marvel Champions. I also picked up Deadly Doodles, a super light flip and write game, but it's fun, and Call to Adventure: The Stormlight Archive version because I love that book series, and the game looks fun.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

@SirA1are you familiar with Lost Ruins of Arnak (impossible to find right now but will have reprints) another worker placement deck building game. I want to pick that one up.

I know of it because it was high on people's lists for 2020 but I am not familiar with it. 

47 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

I know of it because it was high on people's lists for 2020 but I am not familiar with it. 

Yeah, it looks really interesting to me. I like the Indiana Jones type of theme and the more exploration versus the fighting in Dune Imperium looks like it has, also, the board and artwork on Lost Ruins of Arnak just seem very appealing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 9:51 AM, The Gnat said:

I backed 12 Kickstarters last year, 10 of them were board games that I'm getting something with, one was a $1 that I decided to pass on in the pledge manager, and a cat plushie that is shaped like a D4. So I have a top 10 list of anticipated Kickstarter games from 2020:

https://nerdologists.com/2020/12/top-10-kickstarters-i-backed-in-2020/

Did you back HeroQuest? I’m waiting for that one. I still have my original copy from the late ‘80s (early ‘90s?).

Edit: Just looked it up: 1991