Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

Got the two expansions for Heroes of Land, Air, and Sea here waiting for me to put together their ships and towers, might have to happen this weekend.

I did get a little gaming in yesterday. Two games of Dice Throne season 1, which was a blast as always, and two games of Potion Explosion, which has a lot of fun toy factor to it. Of course, now I just want to play more bard games.

Picked up a few new games, because of course I did:

Claim Expansions: Claim is a trick taking game in two parts, this basically just adds more to it, more cards in the game, stuff like that. But first you play a hand to get cards for the next hand which is what you'll use to score based off of set collection and the tricks you take.

MonsDRAWsity: You are all paranormal sketch artists, and it's a party game, but looks like a fun one and one that if it comes quickly could be played over Zoom with a little modification.

Shadows in Kyoto: A two player game with a bit of Stratego feel to it. You are trying to either get an agent with real information to escape, capture of your opponents agents who have real information, or get them to capture three of yours with false information. I like games that have a few ways to win, so there is push and pull of what you are getting closer to. Really interested to try this one.

Dropped off some Used games to sell at the FLGS and ended up finding a copy of 7 Wonders Duel for about half price. 

The wife and I have heard good things about it and figured we'd give it a try.

Also got my first Kickstarter in last week "The Great Race". It looks good but I will probably give it a few weeks as we have a lot of new games from the holidays to still try out.

19 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Dropped off some Used games to sell at the FLGS and ended up finding a copy of 7 Wonders Duel for about half price.

I have that one that I picked up used from my FLGS that I need to play. It even came with an expansion in the box as well. It actually might even have an organizer, I forget.

Nice getting that Kickstarter. I don't remember what one. What sort of game is it?

So I still need to do a deep dive into the rules but here is what the Great Race should be.

The Setting is the 1930's and you are racing you Halftracks across Africa or South America. The board is double sided and I believe if they do expansions there will be more world maps.

It's a slow race though because the first to finish doesn't necessarily win as you accumulate points during the race.

Your are one of 5 different teams and I believe your vehicles are Asymmetrical. 

There is worker placement in that you have people scout paths to see how far your move, mechanics etc to fix your car.

You have to track Fuel, and other stuff.

To randomize the path for each race there are tiles you draw out a bag for each continent. Obstacles you have to overcover etc.

Each player programs what they are going to do in secret so you don't know what the other payers are doing.

The KS version came with several expansions to allow for solo play, add a pickup and deliver option, etc. 

Platypus games actually put out a nice FAQ here.

https://www.platypusgame.com/faq

It's got elements I like in Worker placement and the theme. 

• Like 1

That one looks gorgeous. I think that I might look at grabbing it sometime just because of the look on the table and how simple it is. I'll also probably create a dry erase scoring pad for it because that scoring track piece looks like it sucks. I watched a playthrough of it on the GloryHoundd YouTube channel.

• Like 1

I've been getting a lot of games to the table this past week. Just in the past 5 days I've played 13 different times.

3 games of Hanamikoji. I really love this puzzle type game, so good and so fast.

3 games of Railroad Ink - a great roll and write, surprisingly thinky even without the expansions that add a whole lot more.

3 games of Super Fantasy Brawl - it was one I picked up because I thought I'd like it, I played 3 times last night, and I do like it. I think that it has some great combos and super cool characters for an arena battle game.

2 games of Codenames: Picutres - works well over Zoom and I like it so much better than regular Codenames. Pictures just gives so much more you can give clues about.

1 each of Ganz Schon Clever and Twice as Clever - great roll and write games. Also works pretty well via Zoom which is nice. I do not have a good strategy yet for Twice as Clever.

I've tried to be better about playing more games this month, and thus far it's been really successful. I've played more solo, we had a board game night digitally, and I got a new game to the table with Super Fantasy Brawl. I've been shooting for 365 game plays this year, last night after playing three games, I was right on target for it. 

Also, looks like CMON is going to be launching Marvel United X-Men soon, so I'm really excited for that. I guess that it might be coming out on April or maybe May on Kickstarter, I need to look into it more.

The wife and I were finally able to get a couple of games in of Warhammer 40K at a LGS. Played against a Friend of mine that also got back into 40K recently.

We had a good time learning the basics. Plan on playing again in a couple of weeks.

Probably start alternating 40K and Board Game night each week. 

We also got in a few games of Kohaku and it is nice.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 5:18 PM, fretgod99 said:

Started playing Diplomacy online. Good times.

I assume with random people and not friends since that would suddenly lead to a lot of ex-friends.

White press? Gray press? Black press?
Favorite country?
Should Italy Lepanto always?