Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

Got to play two games of Similo, a game of Pitchcar and a game of Icecool on Saturday. All really fun games. I like Similo quite well and it's a nice cooperative party style game, or at least one that gets a lot of people talking and interacting. I already knew that I liked the other two games a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

After a week without gaming, too long, getting in a bunch of gaming this week. Did a Top 10 Gateway Games on Monday on my YouTube channel, or Introductory Games as I called them. Then Tainted Grail and Dice Throne on Tuesday night, Aeon's End Legacy solo last night. People coming over tonight to play Calico (which I need to learn the rules for), and Friday more gaming, game(s) TBD. 

Has anyone played the 2-player Harry Potter deck building game? I forget what it is called but my GF and I have been playing that a lot recently. Really fun if you enjoy that sort of thing. She loves the HP aspect, and I love the deck building aspect.

9 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Has anyone played the 2-player Harry Potter deck building game? I forget what it is called but my GF and I have been playing that a lot recently. Really fun if you enjoy that sort of thing. She loves the HP aspect, and I love the deck building aspect.

There is Harry Potter Hogwarts battle, that can be played with more than 2. Is it the Wizard Duel one or something like that? Defense Against the Dark Arts I believe is what it's called? I haven't played that one. I have played some of the original Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle.

And separately from that, played Calico last night for the first time. It's a really good abstract game with a cat/quilt theme on it. It's a game that is super easy to teach and take your turns, but has good decision making space as you have to determine where to play tiles on your quilt to attracts cats, get buttons and then score objectives. More game in the box than the artwork and theme would have you think.

1 minute ago, The Gnat said:

There is Harry Potter Hogwarts battle, that can be played with more than 2. Is it the Wizard Duel one or something like that? Defense Against the Dark Arts I believe is what it's called? I haven't played that one. I have played some of the original Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle.

Yeah it is the defense against the dark arts dueling game

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fretgod99 said:

That’s a pretty good one.

I’m in the middle of Clank! Legacy right now. Highly recommend. It’s really fun.

Yeah, I'm really digging playing through Aeon's End Legacy. I don't feel like it's as hard as regular Aeon's End, but I'm fine with that.

I have Clank! Legacy on my shelf, I need to get it played, need to figure out my group for that one and Betrayal Legacy and My City.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Yeah, I'm really digging playing through Aeon's End Legacy. I don't feel like it's as hard as regular Aeon's End, but I'm fine with that.

I have Clank! Legacy on my shelf, I need to get it played, need to figure out my group for that one and Betrayal Legacy and My City.

We’d never played Aeon’s End before and we missed the rule that turning a breach opens it if it can’t be turned anymore (or whatever the hell the wording is). So we made the first half of the game much more difficult than it needed to be. It was limd of frustrating until we figured out what we were doing wrong. Got much better after that.

There are some pretty rough fights coming up. I think that the first few rounds are supposed to be easier than the base game, the next few about the same, then the last few a little harder. But like I said, I’ve never played the base.

Miniature Market apparently sends out a $10 off code for your birthday month. So I finally figured out what to use mine on, I got Root: The Riverfolk Expansion and Flick of Faith.

Root is a war-esque type game but will cute little woodland creatures and each faction plays differently. I have the base game, but I wanted an expansion or more as well.

Flick of Faith is, well, a flicking game. You try and get majority in areas and other stuff, just a lot of fun looking, and I want to try it out. It's been hard to find as well, seems to just be back in stock. From Awaken Realms Lite, I like everything that Awaken Realms does, I just wanted to try this one of their lighter games a lot.

Gamed all day on Saturday:

Dig Deeper: it's a scenario for the Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game, but a one off one versus tied together cases. Thought it was a ton of fun.

Sonora: Flick and write, ton of fun, loads of combos

Deranged: Took a bit to get the rules under my belt again, but was a lot of fun. Good game overall, and I want to try playing a big, full length, game of it.

Downforce: Great game, played for the first time and played it twice. This is a bidding racing game. The cool thing is that you bid with cards to get cars, but those cards are also the ones that you u se to move the cars. So if you big a 4 red, that means you can't move red 4 later. Also your cards might have 4 colors on them or six, and you have to move them all. Very simple but very good.