2024 Free Agency Discussion

RaidersAreOne

59 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

How is Justin Simmons still not signed yet? Because he’s 30?

Good vet free agents still around this late in the cycle are almost always one of two things, or a combination of them. They didn't get the market they expected and are either unwilling to settle, or hoping a team gets desperate suddenly. Or they're hoping to dodge camp(s) without getting fined. They might already have something lined up, or they're confident they can get signed when they choose and can pick things up quickly enough.

The latter has been common with veteran DEs as of late. Which makes sense, given it's a fairly heavy position for wear and tear, but not as heavy on schematic complexities. Justin Houston has been doing this every year. Signs in late July or early August, saves himself the bother of a decent amount of camp, and he can pretty easily step into a team and figure it out as a rotational edge rusher.

I'm sure Simmons will sign before the season starts. I'm sure he's just not in any hurry to do so, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Good vet free agents still around this late in the cycle are almost always one of two things, or a combination of them. They didn't get the market they expected and are either unwilling to settle, or hoping a team gets desperate suddenly. Or they're hoping to dodge camp(s) without getting fined. They might already have something lined up, or they're confident they can get signed when they choose and can pick things up quickly enough.

The latter has been common with veteran DEs as of late. Which makes sense, given it's a fairly heavy position for wear and tear, but not as heavy on schematic complexities. Justin Houston has been doing this every year. Signs in late July or early August, saves himself the bother of a decent amount of camp, and he can pretty easily step into a team and figure it out as a rotational edge rusher.

I'm sure Simmons will sign before the season starts. I'm sure he's just not in any hurry to do so, though.

I want the Chiefs to sign him just so he doesn’t go to a contender or rival. Dude always intercepts Mahomes, if I’m the Bengals or Bills I’m signing him yesterday 

13 hours ago, Chiefer said:

How is Justin Simmons still not signed yet? Because he’s 30?

He's waiting for a camp injury to unfortunately occur to someone, team get desperate. I'm sure he'd prefer to be on the 53 man before week 1 guaranteeing that contract but he could easily go the Suh/Joseph route into a season if need be. Then join a contender.

30 yr old Vets, don't care about attending TC, playing in the preseason. 

Only singular downside is not learning whatever defense he will be joining. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

I hate all of your teams for allowing this to happen 

It’s a good deal because in 4 years he’ll be 5-10th highest paid

Better do it early than wait

The cap is always rising

He’s next in line that’s just the market 

• Like 1

At some point teams are going to sit back and say if you aren’t a top 5 QB we aren’t paying you that kind of money…right? Rather load the roster and take my chances in the draft than roll out Cousins, Dak, Tua etc for 60mil

• Like 1