2024 Free Agency Discussion

RaidersAreOne

34 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I might be reading some of these articles incorrectly, but why would the 49ers even care if Aiyuk had an extension worked out with another team? It seems more likely that the other team (Browns, Steelers, Pats etc) would want the extension and SF wouldn't care

They may have been banking on extending him after this season, and don't think they'll be able to get Aiyuk to take less than whatever offer he has now. And they may be concerned that Aiyuk may have something like $85 million guaranteed and $140MM total reasons to tell the 9ers his hamstring hurts in the last year they'd keep him.

Another 1st or 2nd (+ other stuff) pick helps their long term cap situation in a way pretty much nothing else can, and they may view that very differently compared to 1 year of a disgruntled Aiyuk.

40 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I just can't envision a situation in which this benefits the 49ers. This seems like it has all the makings of a "lose - lose" trade. 49ers lose in the short term during their window and whomever picks Aiyuk up loses a (lesser) player, a high pick and a gigantic contract for a guy that arguably won't deserve it.

Why would the Patriots trade for him at all with their current rebuild situation?

This I completely agree with. Said the same thing when the Bears traded for Khalil Mack, non-QBs are too volatile to justify the contract and the acquisition cost.

46 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I might be reading some of these articles incorrectly, but why would the 49ers even care if Aiyuk had an extension worked out with another team? It seems more likely that the other team (Browns, Steelers, Pats etc) would want the extension and SF wouldn't care.

Is it possible that this is all smoke and SF is just showing BA what his actual value is around the league? Maybe that they're getting other teams to write out the terms of a contract that SF will eventually offer? It's more likely that I've been gently misled by some of the stuff I've been reading, but it's fun to speculate on conspiracy.

This is a tactic that the niners have utilized in the past. They did the same for Buckner. They let them go out and find their deal. I think the idea is that they maximize return on an extended player if there is a market above and beyond what they are willing to pay him. 

49 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I just can't envision a situation in which this benefits the 49ers. This seems like it has all the makings of a "lose - lose" trade. 49ers lose in the short term during their window and whomever picks Aiyuk up loses a (lesser) player, a high pick and a gigantic contract for a guy that arguably won't deserve it.

It's definitely a losing proposition for the niners. I said like 2 years ago that Aiyuk was the guy I would pick to move on and then blow up stefon diggs style, so he may do well. I have all the faith in the world that he will. I'm very bullish on Aiyuk. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Pats willing to make Aiyuk a top five paid receiver

NE’s out, Aiyuk didn’t wanna go.

Cleveland or Pittsburgh it is. Didn’t exactly have a who’s who of QBs to pick from, lol.

2 minutes ago, Soko said:

NE’s out, Aiyuk didn’t wanna go.

Cleveland or Pittsburgh it is. Didn’t exactly have a who’s who of QBs to pick from, lol.

It's Pitt, I'm pretty sure. 

I'd say something like a 25 second and 26 third. 

26 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Man being in “cap hell” sure sucks yet again 😂

Yeah, the four guys they have with a $10M+ cap hit and -$91M for 2025 certainly disprove that, lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soko said:

Yeah, the four guys they have with a $10M+ cap hit and -$91M for 2025 certainly disprove that, lol.

Yeah man sucks so bad potentially bringing in another big name free agent. Just gonna keep kicking that can lol

Edited by tyler735

3 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah man sucks so bad potentially bringing in another big name free agent lol

Yeaaaaah the Saints were certainly big spenders in the offseason, you got me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soko said:

Yeaaaaah the Saints were certainly big spenders in the offseason, you got me. 

They were in Cap Hell (again) and couldn’t sign any decent players because of it. Everyone certainly got us Saints fans.

17 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

They were in Cap Hell (again) and couldn’t sign any decent players because of it. Everyone certainly got us Saints fans.

Cap hell doesn’t you can’t sign anyone. It means your bad contracts, that generally you’d like to get rid of, are stuck on your books and heavily restrict your spending. Which is exactly where I’d say NO is sitting. Only being able to bring in a prove-it guy on a 1 year/$3M or 1 year/$5M deal, or filling in roster fodder, despite having gaping holes along the roster, doesn’t mean you’re not in cap hell. Like, the Broncos signing Brandon Jones, Josh Reynolds and a bunch of depth guys doesn’t prove they aren’t in cap hell this year. 

But I guess they’ll show us all up yet again with another year of bargain bin shopping in 2025, lol.

Anyways, back to FA news.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soko said:

Cap hell doesn’t you can’t sign anyone. It means your bad contracts, that generally you’d like to get rid of, are stuck on your books and heavily restrict your spending. Which is exactly where I’d say NO is sitting. Only being able to bring in a prove-it guy on a 1 year/$3M or 1 year/$5M deal, or filling in roster fodder, despite having gaping holes along the roster, doesn’t mean you’re not in cap hell. Like, the Broncos signing Brandon Jones, Josh Reynolds and a bunch of depth guys doesn’t prove they aren’t in cap hell this year. 

But I guess they’ll show us all up yet again with another year of bargain bin shopping in 2025, lol.

Anyways, back to FA news.

Yep “cap hell” last year and the year before and the year before and the year before, and so on. Justin Simmons potentially this year. Derek Carr (whether he was a good signing or not is a different matter) if I’m not mistaken was one of the higher priced free agent signings last year while we were in cap hell. Or honeybadger the year before while in cap hell.

I suppose if this is the type of restriction we have while in “cap hell”, I could really care less. I’d rather only spend big in free agency on 1 or 2 players and fill out the rest with guys that can compete to start and provide depth to fill out the roster. I’m very happy with guys like Willie Gay and Chase Young being those types of players this offseason.