Who's the second greatest QB of all time behind Brady?

mdonnelly21

Who's the second greatest QB of all time behind Brady?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the second greatest QB of all time behind Brady?

• Joe Montana
    • Peyton Manning
    • Patrick Mahomes
    • Johny Unitas
    • Brett Favre
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Drew Brees
    • John Elway
    • Dan Marino
    • Other

34 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

If we are incapable of comparing across generations then we shouldn't participate in All-Time polls - but I at least appreciate people acknowledging their bias and calling it what it is.  In 50 years when kids are calling Mahomes and Brady scrubs, I'll be having the same debate, haha

I actually agree, all-time polls are stupid because there's no realistic way to compare guys across generations. There is literally no way you can compare a guy like Lamar Jackson against a guy like Otto Graham objectively and account for their competition differences.

I have a hard time evaluating Graham as GOAT because I think the modern game of football was inaugurated by The Greatest Game Ever Played, and his success can partially be attributed to having offensive coaching that ran circles around the rest of the league. However I'm open to arguments for.

Unitas in my mind is the first great modern QB with a GOAT claim. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

I have a hard time evaluating Graham as GOAT because I think the modern game of football was inaugurated by The Greatest Game Ever Played, and his success can partially be attributed to having offensive coaching that ran circles around the rest of the league. However I'm open to arguments for.

Unitas in my mind is the first great modern QB with a GOAT claim. 

People say it was Joe Namath. The man talked the talk and walk the walk. 

On 1/25/2024 at 2:59 PM, MaddHatter said:

How tf you not even going to mention Otto Graham as an option?  SMDH

He's probably too young (but I will say I was surprised he put Johnny U in the poll).

On 1/26/2024 at 12:56 PM, MaddHatter said:

It's still an argument.... and that's my point.  Otto doesn't even get mentioned in the poll and people immediately want to discount him because they never "saw him play".   You don't throw the players of the past out completely because it was a different era.  If you put Bron in Jordan's time, he'd cry about all the fouls he wasn't getting called.  If you put Brady in Otto's time, he doesn't last 5 years b/c of the hits he'd endure (same with the 70's).  Graham was the Mahomes/Brady/Montana of his era and threw to receivers who were getting manhandled through the route/catch but because the competition wasn't "as talented" his accomplishments don't count.  News flash - he played at the highest level against the greatest competition the world could produce.  

That's right.  QBs today do not get hammered like they did not that many years ago.   And I would submit that players of yesteryear if they had the conditioning and coaching guys have today they just might surprise some of the posters here.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

You talk about "dropping guys off in that era" but seem to be ignoring the coaching, nutrition, training, and support they would be receiving.  When Otto came back for his 10th year, he unretired b/c the Browns made him the highest player in the league at $25k a year.  Even with inflation and everything else, that's still ONLY $250k in today's money.  He set records that stood for 40+ years despite being a "part-time player".  He was also a great enough athlete that he is one of only two people in US History to win a championship in 2 of the 4 major US Sports (basketball and football).  You can call Brady the GOAT all you want, and I'm happy to have a legit debate even if I don't necessarily disagree (I have him as #1 also) but to not even list Graham as an option in a poll of 10+ people is asinine.  You really think a career backup who couldn't beat out Griese or Drew Henson was going to even be in the Pros, let alone be a 7x Champion in a 10yr span and make the Championship ever year of his career 80 years ago?  Nah, Brady would have been slinging beers or driving nails like most adult males during that post-war Era.  B3PCB4SZWAI6VOS4EUBQ3NKZXA.jpg

IMO Brady was not the most athletic QB to ever play.  But coming out of Michigan none of the scouts could measure heart and drive to be the best.   I seriously doubt we'll ever see another like him in our lifetime.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 5:54 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If Aaron Rodgers would have retired 3 years ago I would probably say him. 

Otherwise I'd say Peyton Manning

Bold to have him retire the year before winning his 2nd consecutive MVP and 4th overall but I'm sure you've got your reasons?

Edited by Thomas5737

28 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

2 years ago lol basically just before going to the Jets and his last GB season.

You're going to hold an injury against him for last season?

I guess technically it's a hit against his durability for his career.

2022 I can see. 3695 passing yards, 26 passing touchdowns is pretty weak. It is more passing yards than a soon to be 2 time MVP has ever gotten, but they play different games. The 29 total touchdowns is also pretty weak. It's okay, but way off the pace of his prime.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

You're going to hold an injury against him for last season?

I guess technically it's a hit against his durability for his career.

2022 I can see. 3695 passing yards, 26 passing touchdowns is pretty weak. It is more passing yards than a soon to be 2 time MVP has ever gotten, but they play different games. The 29 total touchdowns is also pretty weak. It's okay, but way off the pace of his prime.

Nah it's not the injury, I just don't like the guy and I'm holding a personal vendetta against him vs. Peyton Manning.

• 2 months later...