Gary Kubiak - Scheme
Doug Pederson - Scheme
Andy Reid X2 - Scheme
Bruce Arians - Scheme
Sean McVay - Scheme

*1st time NFL HC
*2nd time NFL HC
*3rd time NFL HC

I don't think reality backs up your assertion that smart teams hire for culture and dumb teams hire for scheme. Being a good coach in the right situation with the right people and players around them is what matters, not whether they are a Xs and Os or Jimmys and Joes guy.

I think you're vastly generalizing that a lot of these guys are JUST culture or JUST scheme guys. The best coaches do both.

• Like 7

"Really excited to have Raheem Morris back in ATL as our head coach. It's been quite a month. Here are some insights from 'in the room' -- Raheem's first interview was electric; captured the crew on it -- many of whom had not ever worked with him.

Second interview: even better. Wow, so well prepared. His time in LA has elevated him. Clearly gleaned a lot of learning and experience in an excellent Rams org. He has a great plan and unbridled passion to work it.

Some critics about how many we interviewed. That's dumb, don't buy it. You learn so much about the league, schemes, players, good ideas, bad ideas and so forth. Amazing part of the process. You also get to compare the different people and perspectives. It's very valuable

VERY bullish on talent in the coaching pipeline. Was blown away by several of our candidates. Blown away. Several interviews planned for 4.5 hours went 6. Why? Guys were so good ... and compelling.

Most of the people we interviewed will be head coaches sooner than later, I believe that very strongly. AMBSE is a complex organization and it is sometimes hard to understand on the outside. We are a portfolio company and a lot of other NFL teams are not.

Operating a stadium that hosts everything from the World Cup to college football to pro football to soccer to concerts to weddings to myriad other things is more than most NFL teams. Don't compare staff structures from a team that is just a football team to AMBSE. You can't.

AMBSE is Falcons, United, MBS and some other things. The transition of responsibilities BEGAN on/around Jan. 7 2023 when Rich McKay was named CEO of AMBSE. Steve Cannon has been the steward of ATLUTD for AMBSE and eventually this will transition fully to Rich.

Back to the coaching search. I could not be more proud of my colleagues in how this search was executed ... incredible experience. There was NEVER any panic or discombobulation. That's nuts. From first day ... we knew how much our job was coveted. People (plural) wanted this.

We ran our process. Crazy takes on timing of interviews were laughable. First, new rules this year dictated a lot. Second, schedules (ours, candidates, other teams, etc.) dictated a lot. Third, we ran our process in spite of the noise. Some media did a really good job on this.

In sum ... Jacked about Raheem Morris. Think he and Terry Fontenot will be a dynamic pairing. Big, fun offseason ahead. If Mike Tomlin and Sean McVay are raving about Raheem as a head coach ... maybe let that outweigh what Joe on X/Twitter or Fred on sports radio thinks?

Love seeing how excited our players, other players, and so many others around the league are for Raheem. And in our building too! Really bullish on many of our other candidates - great young talent out there. There was never panic, just process. Don't believe anything else." - EVP, Chief Brand and Communications Officer for the Atlanta Falcons Brett Jewkes.

https://twitter.com/BJewkes

• Like 1

this will be the best new hc hire next season.

everybody wants the new mcvay or new shanny, both guys plus mike tomlin named raheem morris as the hc they would choose.
a hc is more than just a playcaller.

these oh so sexy picks at hc fail every year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Brian Billick - Scheme??

You could argue Billick was hired for scheme, but there is no argument that he wasn't also a culture hire.

He coached that Vikings offense and it was clear that his offense was trash early on in his Ravens tenure.

Yet he was a great leader of men (culture), but that his message simply burnt out. He was a hire similar to Jim Harbaugh that is known for offense, but is a strong culture guy.

Billick’s Lions den speech still lives on in the hearts of Ravens fans. We do not win that SB without his culture. We could win it without HIS scheme… and considering his offense didn’t score for an entire month, you could argue they in fact did win it without his scheme.

Add to that McVay 100% changed the Rams culture. Yes he brought in his scheme but the culture change from Jeff Fisher and Gregg Williams to McVay and Wade Phillips can't be understated.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

this will be the best new hc hire next season.

everybody wants the new mcvay or new shanny, both guys plus mike tomlin named raheem morris as the hc they would choose.
a hc is more than just a playcaller.

these oh so sexy picks at hc fail every year.

He's been about as mediocre as you can be as a coach. He has never coached a top 10 defense. Hell, he's never coached a top 15 defense that I'm aware of. Maybe DVOA gave his defenses higher grades?  I have no clue what I'm missing here concerning Raheem Morris but our secondary was terrible when he coached for us. Maybe he's just a better leader of men than he is an X's and O's guy but I just don't understand the major push for him to be a headcoach again? I think he's a great dude and the players love him so I wish him all the success in the world but I just don't get this hire at all....

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Morris himself...meh hire. 

His biggest benefit is his connections to build a staff from. That alone probably warrants a B grade. 

I like Raheem well enough he was on my top 6 list of coaches this time around.  Wasn't at the top but not one i didn't want either so im cool with him here.   Now lets see if i can get the 2 coordinators i want from his hiring.   I want Zac Robinson and Ejiro Evero as our coordinators as i like both of them alot and would help morris get us to the next level.  I think as it sits with Morris it's a B+ grade for the HC  with Harbaugh being an A+   With those 2 coordinators that i want this becomes an A- to A  depending on if we get 1 of the 2 both or neither and stays a B+. 

Edited by FalconFan13

On 1/25/2024 at 10:45 PM, cp0k2 said:

• This year's Playoff teams:

49ers - Scheme
Cowboys - Scheme
Lions - Culture
Buccaneers - Scheme
Eagles - Scheme
Rams - Scheme
Packers - Scheme

Ravens - Culture
Bills - Scheme
Chiefs - Scheme
Texans - Culture & Scheme
Browns - Scheme
Dolphins - Scheme
Steelers - Culture

• Last 30 years Super Bowl winners since you brought it up:

Jimmy Johnson - Culture
George Seifert - Scheme
Barry Switzer - Culture
Mike Holmgren - Scheme
Mike Shanahan x2 - Scheme
Richard Vermeil - Culture
Brian Billick - Scheme
Bill Belichick x6 - Culture & Scheme
Jon Gruden - Scheme
Bill Cowher - Culture
Tony Dungy - Scheme
Tom Coughlin x2 - Culture
Mike Tomlin - Culture
Sean Payton - Scheme
Mike McCarthy - Scheme
John Harbaugh - Culture
Pete Carroll - Culture
Gary Kubiak - Scheme
Doug Pederson - Scheme
Andy Reid X2 - Scheme
Bruce Arians - Scheme
Sean McVay - Scheme

*1st time NFL HC
*2nd time NFL HC
*3rd time NFL HC

I don't think reality backs up your assertion that smart teams hire for culture and dumb teams hire for scheme. Being a good coach in the right situation with the right people and players around them is what matters, not whether they are a Xs and Os or Jimmys and Joes guy.

Interesting take and I'll see your Brian Billick and say that was also Culrure. Yes he had a great scheme but wasn't able to implement his scheme. He changed the Offense to fit what was there which was Jamal Lewis running hard with Dilfer passing when needed. The Defense was a BEAST led by Ray Lewis and those players were assembled by Ozzie Newsome and it was his Culture not the coaches. Ozzie's last 1st round pick was Lamar Jackson and Ozzie still has a position with the organization.  As a Raiders fan we lost our culture before moving and the hope is AP can bring some of that back. Al was owner and GM so after his passing the culture lived off of past reputation but Al wasn't what he once was for a while. It's why I liked Mark Davis trying to bring Tom Brady on as an owner. Culture change and someone who might attract others to help shift that culture.

23 hours ago, scar988 said:

I think you're vastly generalizing that a lot of these guys are JUST culture or JUST scheme guys. The best coaches do both.

GM should bring Culture while coaches bring Scheme

15 minutes ago, scar988 said:

That makes literally no sense.

As a Raiders fan Al set up the Raider's culture. He was owner/defacto GM and some called him 'coach' though he was more than a bit long in the tooth when he passed. GM's draft the players that should fit the culture/franchise identity. Players actually create the environment, hence why many teams stay away from players that might affect that in a negative way. The coaches set up a structure that the players are held accountable for and if not the coaches are usually not around long (McDaniels) That doesn't mean coaches can't bring culture (AP) but the GM will usually outlast a coach or two and why I think a GM should bring culture to a franchise. Ozzy Newsome did it. Rams and 49ers are in the process of doing it. Bill B. did it as a coach GM and probably why he didn't get hired yet but will once an owner wants a  coach/GM type. Harbs will probably have success in LA but also be disliked, as he will have similar power.

So maybe that helps explain it and it's probably WHY most GM's aren't more successful than casual fans on this site. lol Some fans understand the culture...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, G said:

As a Raiders fan Al set up the Raider's culture. He was owner/defacto GM and some called him 'coach' though he was more than a bit long in the tooth when he passed. GM's draft the players that should fit the culture/franchise identity. Players actually create the environment, hence why many teams stay away from players that might affect that in a negative way. The coaches set up a structure that the players are held accountable for and if not the coaches are usually not around long (McDaniels) That doesn't mean coaches can't bring culture (AP) but the GM will usually outlast a coach or two and why I think a GM should bring culture to a franchise. Ozzy Newsome did it. Rams and 49ers are in the process of doing it. Bill B. did it as a coach GM and probably why he didn't get hired yet but will once an owner wants a  coach/GM type. Harbs will probably have success in LA but also be disliked, as he will have similar power.

So maybe that helps explain it and it's probably WHY most GM's aren't more successful than casual fans on this site. lol Some fans understand the culture...

This assumes every team operates exactly the same. That's not how it works. Atlanta is collaborative. The GM and head coach are on the same level of the org chart. It's been that way since 2008. 

• Like 1

I think the general consensus is this:

From a leadership standpoint, coach Rah is in the S Tier. We’ll have a great culture and everyone will want to play their heart out for this man. He could be the tipping point in free agents choosing us over other destinations offering similar financial incentive.

From a scheme standpoint, while he has been cross-pollinated with an extraordinary number of amazing coaches/players on both sides of the ball during his time in the league, he’s never shown anything overly impressive. 

Coordinators are going to be huge for Rah.  I can see things going south very quickly if he tries to get too cute with the coordinators. Guys that we have been interviewing like Hankton for OC & Durde for DC… that’s a massive risk. Not saying it wouldn’t work out because I have no idea how they would perform in those roles. But to me, it just makes a lot more sense to get guys that are proven in their roles at the NFL level.

Overall, this shouldn’t be difficult. If we had a halfway decent QB last year and Jarrett didn’t get hurt, I believe we would be getting ready to play this Sunday. Don’t believe me, look at our 2 games against the Bucs and our game against the Lions. Outplayed the Bucs twice and the Lions game was the 7th career start of the worst starting QB in the NFL, but we largely held their offense in check.