Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

6 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

As long as he doesn't get the players to start calling the fries from Kroll's East "chippies" 

I'm somewhat flexible on this. I'm fine with calling fries --> fries. But when the potato size gets bigger I will revert to calling them chips.

However I do not appreciate Americans calling their thinly sliced potatoes as chips. It's bloody CRISPS!

Edited by Chili
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Chili said:

Why is having DC experience important? We already tried it with Pettine and Barry.

90% (made up number) of new DC hires are someone who have never been coordinator before. Its perfectly normal. Everyone needs to start somewhere prior to becoming a coordinator.

I read a message on another forum that we're in superbowl window and there is "no time to learn on the job". LaFleur must've thought that too when we had Rodgers and so we hired Barry, a guy with prior coordinating experience.

In doing so he missed out on a talented coordinator in Evero who ended up proving himself just a year later.

Evero just proved you shouldn't fear inexperience as long they're made of the right stuff.

That’s just an incredibly basic way to look at it. Re-tread DCs fail and new ones do as well. It’s the person being chosen that’s what matters. 

I prefer an experienced DC because I don’t want MLF to have to deal with the defense much. I want him to focus organizationally and on the offense . 

Id go the safer route and have someone who has done it before .doesnt mean a brand new DC can’t , I just would take the safer route. 

29 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

@thrILL! Gonna be disappointed because even a guy like Leonhard with 5 yrs as a successful DC isn't strong enough!

Lol. No dog in this race for me. Idk the important information about the candidates , and I’m not concerned about scheme. Be adaptive. Put the guys in the best position to succeed. That’s all I really ask

3 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

https://old.reddit.com/r/buffalobills/comments/19duxpi/as_joe_marino_points_out_buffalo_must_make_lb/

Inside look for Bobby Babich from Bills fans. Seems every position group he touches he gets the most out of. Talking myself into him being target #1 for our DC opening. 

Same on the Packers subreddit:

"Bobby Babich will be a DC somewhere this year and I’d be shocked if the bills let him walk and don’t promote him internally. He was safety’s coach (Poyer/hyde) and then linebackers coach (Edmund’s/TB/Milano) and everything he touches seems to turn to gold. This would be a great hire for the Pack but I doubt the bills let him go that easily."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Bill is still a great coach, but he’s an awful GM and wouldn’t hire him if that’s what he wants. 

I’d be happy with Staley. He had a lot of success with LA. I hope it’s not just because of Donald/Ramsey but id guess not. We have a lot of talent as well. Plus, if he does well , I doubt he gets another shot at a HC. It’ll probably take a long long time. 

Staley had a lot of success with the Rams .. yes.  However, Norm could have had success too if he had the studs Staley had.  Talk about a stable of defensive talent ..  wow.  I don't want him as he's the same scheme  coach that Barry was.  How about a 4-3 front line with a D coordinator that can adapt the aggressiveness to who the Packers will be playing.  

• Like 1

I'm puzzled by this assumption that great positional coaching automatically equates with great defensive coordinating. If Lafleur wants to get this right, why wouldn't you lean towards someone who has been a DC (whether on the pro level, college level, or both) and has a proven track record? Is it simply because there are not many candidates like that? 

16 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Staley had a lot of success with the Rams .. yes.  However, Norm could have had success too if he had the studs Staley had.  Talk about a stable of defensive talent ..  wow.  I don't want him as he's the same scheme  coach that Barry was.  How about a 4-3 front line with a D coordinator that can adapt the aggressiveness to who the Packers will be playing.  

It’s a lot more complex than ‘ he was only good because of Ramsey and Donald’ I can guarantee you they’re going over philosophy, Xs and Os and organizational stuff. 

Theres just too much info we don’t know to have strong opinions . 

• Like 1