Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

36 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Hoping we get an answer to this question this week. 

We should. With Detroit and Baltimore out the ball should finally get rolling with Ben Johnson and Mike Macdonald and kick off a slew of coordinator hires after that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Sounds like Eviro is out, Carolina denying interview requests.

Good. I don't really have an answer why, but I just don't like him as a DC/coach. Rubs me the wrong way for some reason. Same thing with Staley and Wink. Just no to those three. 

Right now I'm fully in the Parker/Babich train. Seems they both are well respected by other coaches, their players, and fans. Both have done well as position coaches. Both fit that young and hungry role. 

That being said, I'm ok if MLF interviews some other candidates that fit that frame before making a decision. 

Edited by BluePacker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Evero has emerged as an interesting figure to watch in the next few weeks. He’s on a deal at over $3 million per year to be the Carolina’s defensive coordinator, but was hired as part of a Frank Reich’s staff now being inherited by Dave Canales. Meanwhile, the Packers and Rams—whose head coaches know Evero well—have openings. They would both have the 43-year-old, if available, near or at the top of their lists. And those places, at least on paper, could better pipeline Evero into a head-coaching shot. So … stay tuned.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/01/28/belichick-falcons-takeaways-ravens-chiefs-49ers-lions

Yes and a little nugget in there of interest.

Edited by Arthur Penske

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Hewitt has 1 interview this cycle. Dont recall many from past cycles. Dont think he's the star this forum makes him out to be...

I agree. He has been a DB coach at Baltimore for a long time and he has seen coaching staff around him get promoted within or outside the organisation. All you have to do is put on videos of his interviews and you can tell quite quickly that he isn't coordinator or head coach material.

Even Dennard Wilson who also coaches DBs has a far superior resume with his track record of generating high level play from his position group.

They're probably ranked like this:

1. McDonald
2. Weaver
3. Minter
4. Wilson
5. Orr
5. Hewitt

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I wonder if any coordinators have clauses in their contracts where they have a hard out if the HC gets fired.  Is that a thing?

4 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I wonder if any coordinators have clauses in their contracts where they have a hard out if the HC gets fired.  Is that a thing?

That seems like a good way to have the HC not hire you in the first place.

3 hours ago, Chili said:

With Detroit and Baltimore out the ball should finally get rolling with Ben Johnson and Mike Macdonald and kick off a slew of coordinator hires after that.

All the more reason to get our guy asap before musical chairs kicks in again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

That seems like a good way to have the HC not hire you in the first place.

You know the HC and the prospective coordinator don’t actually handle the contracts, right?  Is it that unreasonable of an ask if you can get it?  Evero prolly wishes he had it right now lol. 

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

All the more reason to get our guy asap before musical chairs kicks in again. 

Problem is the coaches we like have lots of the same teams competing for their services. The coaches will be pitting all those teams against each other to get the best possible deal for themselves.

Rams, Atlanta, Miami, Green Bay are all probably looking at Staley, Evero, Weaver, Babich

High demand will drive up salaries, State taxes could be a factor, whether they'll get playcalling and as well the ability to pick their own staff.

Alot of the competing teams are in warm weather locations and I guarantee their wives/partners/children will have a say where they would like to go and these coaches will take that into consideration.

From my point of view for nearly all of those reasons above Green Bay are a bit of a disadvantage. Evero may not be going anywhere, Babich gets the Bills coordinator gig and then all of a sudden BAM! you have four teams competing for two of these coaches.

Who would not want to work for McVay....that's a guaranteed route to becoming a head coach and of course it's California.  Miami offers the weather, low tax, playcalling, but also have their explosive offense - they are superbowl contenders. Morris has an extremely strong reputation in coaching circles and it sounds like Atlanta is a good place to be, even Belichick wanted them. The odds are not good for us if i'm being brutally honest.

Hiring Parker early allows us to avoid this game of musical chairs. If we partake it and lose the game then Parker will be in a stronger negotiating position to ask for a higher salary and even the ability to add a few coaches to his staff.

Edited by Chili

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Me too, making me question if the Parker leaks are actually true.

Man, IDK if this was our search for a DC candidate after years and years of ****ty defense, I would be both surprised and disappointed. Obviously, it have little to no impact on the success of Parker or whoever was hired, but just feel like this DC selection owes due diligence.

• Like 1