Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

25 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

Man... I went to Boston College podcasts and started reading the comments... It's podcast comments, so take it for what it is, but everyone says this dude has no clue how to call plays. 

Whats that even mean haha. Maybe he cant recruit, Id probably agree with that because theres zero talent there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Wooden is the one that immediately came to mind as someone that could be a duck out of water.

And to me he's a pretty insignificant piece.  But, he could get heavier to play inside, or lighter and quicker to play a DE role.  But last year I saw him as too small to be very good inside and no where near quick enough to play outside.  So he was kind of a duck out of water last year, too.

An NFL off-season bulk will fix a lot there. The guy I'm more worried about is Preston. He was kind of a 34 OLB only guy. He's not great with his hand in the dirt or off the ball. Not too much of a worry since he makes too much money to stick around much longer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Whats that even mean haha. Maybe he cant recruit, Id probably agree with that because theres zero talent there.

The consensus on his recruiting was he didn't bother in 22, but brought in some nice prospect for 23. One of the pods said he's a nice culture guy, but not great with Xs and Os.

Edited by HyponGrey

6 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

An NFL off-season bulk will fix a lot there. The guy I'm more worried about is Preston. He was kind of a 34 OLB only guy. He's not great with his hand in the dirt or off the ball. Not too much of a worry since he makes too much money to stick around much longer.

Preston is interesting as he could be traded/ released if he isn't a fit.  

5 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

The consensus on his recruiting was he didn't bother in 22, but brought in some nice prospect for 23. One of the pods said he's a nice culture guy, but not great with Xs and Os.

Richard Sherman basically said the complete opposite. I know we can’t take that for granted either, but his opinion weighs more, to me, than the fans of BC. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bcv said:

Richard Sherman basically said the complete opposite. I know we can’t take that for granted either, but his opinion weighs more, to me, than the fans of BC. 

Sherman said he's a good teacher. Player development and play calling are two very different things.

8 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

Sherman said he's a good teacher. Player development and play calling are two very different things.

"I think Haff is a great coach that focuses on the details. Always has a great plan and adjustments," Sherman told The Athletic. "His team will see the looks they will see on Sundays throughout the week because of the time he puts in studying and understanding offenses. He's going to be a great fit."

A great plan and adjustments would be "the X's and O's."

I think BC fans are just looking for a silver lining that MAYBE they wont be a mid to *** program for the next decade plus.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

"I think Haff is a great coach that focuses on the details. Always has a great plan and adjustments," Sherman told The Athletic. "His team will see the looks they will see on Sundays throughout the week because of the time he puts in studying and understanding offenses. He's going to be a great fit."

A great plan and adjustments would be "the X's and O's."

Fair enough. 

33 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I mean, recruiting for Boston College isn't like recruiting for Ohio State.  Programs like Ohio State don't need a lot of effort to get players to come there.  That's not the case with Boston College.

I'm going to take a stab at what our coaching staff may look like if he's allowed to bring his own guys.

Even though he got his first NFL start with Tampa Bay and that some of the people he worked with are still around in the NFL (Greg Schiano/Tony Oden/Tem Lukabu) his real NFL network imo has come from his time at Cleveland and San Francisco. From those two stops he has worked with the following:

Mike Pettine, Kyle Shanahan, Mike McDaniel, Bobby Babich, Richard Hightower, Anthony Weaver, Aaron Glenn, Ryan Downard, Kevin O'Connell, Ryan Day, Jon Embree, Mike LaFleur, Robert Saleh, Adam Stenavich, Demecos Ryans, Bobby Slowik, Michael Clay.

That is an impressive list and will give him a wide range of contacts he can use to help build his coaching staff.

Defensive LineJerry Montgomery, Vince Oghobaase (Boston College), Jeff Zgonina (If released from Washington), Charlie Partridge (Pitts), Tony Tuioti (Oregon), Darryl Tapp (49ers), Nate Ollie (Colts), Greg Scruggs (Wisconsin), Nathaniel Willingham (Jets)

Outside Linebackers: Jason Rebrovich, Al Washington (Notre Dame)

Inside Linebackers: Kirk Olivadotti, Sean Duggan (Boston College), Hayes Pullard (Jets)

Defensive Backs: Ryan Downard, Roy Anderson (If released from Seattle), Jim O'Neil (Unemployed), Andrew Hayes-Stoker (49ers)

Pass Game Coordinator: Greg Williams

Defensive Quality Control: Wendel Davis (LB/DL), Kenny Anunike (Fordham)

Defensive Quality Control: Justin Hood (LB/DB)

Lots of guys he knows are currently at too high a level or are position coaches on stable NFL coaching staffs. There's not many around who he is able to hire. He will almost certainly have to lean on his contacts to hire people he doesn't know or lean on his college background to bring in coaches he worked with. After three years at Boston College i'm sure there's one or two coaches he would like to bring with him. Duggan and Ogohobaase seem to be the obvious candidates.

Hafley knows Greg Williams (Pitts) and Ryan Downard (Browns) from his previous coaching stops so I think they will remain on our staff.

Going off track a little, there's a number of Pitts staff he worked with that you may have heard of.....Angelichio, Cignetti Jr, Getsy. All Mike McCarthy guys. Another coach I found is Scott Turner who is currently the Raiders pass game coordinator.

Jerry Montgomery made it through three defensive coordinators. Hard to believe he might survive a 4th. He must be a very likeable person and good at his job despite the results. I suppose one could argue there's not much he can do to make the DL better when he had poor coordinators undermining everything (and possibly poor drafting). He's only 44 years old so he's the same age as Hafley. If there's an opportunity to replace him with someone better then he should do it.

Jason Rebrovich is the one most likely to be replaced IMO. The eye test suggests our edge rush isn't as good as it should be. Gary should be producing way more. He got the job with the help of Hacknett and Pettine connections rather than directly through LaFleur and Barry. Coincidentally Hafley was supposed to be working with him in Buffalo when he ended up in Cleveland instead. I think there's a decent chance Hafley will choose to keep him but this is certainly one area where he can bring his own guy in.

Kirk Olivadotti, he got the job through LaFleur and Barry. I would be surprised if LaFleur allows Hafley to replace him.

Honestly.....all things considered I bet we will keep our coaching staff exactly as it is.

Edited by Chili

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, recruiting for Boston College isn't like recruiting for Ohio State.  Programs like Ohio State don't need a lot of effort to get players to come there.  That's not the case with Boston College.

No I get it. I agree 100%. 

Just saying if the BC fans wanna **** talk about something I think that'd be a better route than he doesn't know ball on gameday.

Edited by HighCalebR

22 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

No I get it. I agree 100%. 

Just saying if the BC fans wanna **** talk about something I think that'd be a better route than he doesn't know ball on gameday.

How useful is looking at BC scheme though? I imagine it's a lot different based on personnel.

I've read he was essentially the architect of the 2019 OSU defense, so that may be a better comparison scheme-wise?