Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

How useful is looking at BC scheme though? I imagine it's a lot different based on personnel.

I've read he was essentially the architect of the 2019 OSU defense, so that may be a better comparison scheme-wise?

I think its a part of the story for sure. Like BC was his baby, shows you what he probably ideally would like to do scheme wise.

I doubt it will be 1:1 comp but I think it shows he's going to try to pressure you in big spots and force the ball out. I think he's going to use his DL to free up the Lb's so they can fly around but hes certainly been around enough that he can slant and stunt with kenny and brooks. 

Like maybe we'll see less 0 because we have actual pass rush all along the DL, so we dont have to manufacture as much. But i think the general idea stays.

In the league I assume the playbook is able to diversify a bit more. Instead of hitting the slider all the way run stop or pass rush.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

Ok Am I tripping or did I just find who one of his assistants will be Via the BC website?

Current coaches:

https://bceagles.com/sports/football/coaches

https://bceagles.com/sports/football/coaches/2023

Co-Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs coach , Abdul-Rahim is on there for 2023, but not for the current staff where Hafley is also now absent.

He coached at Alamba, Maryland, Umass and BC.

Edited by Arthur Penske

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Ok Am I tripping or did I just find who one of his assistants will be Via the BC website?

Current coaches:

Co-Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs coach , Abdul-Rahim is on there for 2023, but not for the current staff where Hafley is also now absent.

He was hired at Maryland again. 

https://umterps.com/news/2024/1/12/football-locksley-adds-abdul-rahim-to-coaching-staff

4 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Current coaches:

Abdul Rahim (17 December 1556 – 1 October 1627), popularly known as simply Rahim and titled Khan-i-Khanan, was a poet who lived in India during the rule of Mughal emperor 

This is what I found on Abdul Rahim

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

Man... I went to Boston College podcasts and started reading the comments... It's podcast comments, so take it for what it is, but everyone says this dude has no clue how to call plays. 

So what?  He's the Packers D coordinator not the offensive coordinator.  Who gives a crap about Boston college and especially their fan podcasts.  If you're basing whether or not he's the guy for the position .. keep looking for better information.

Edited by coachbuns

11 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Abdul Rahim (17 December 1556 – 1 October 1627), popularly known as simply Rahim and titled Khan-i-Khanan, was a poet who lived in India during the rule of Mughal emperor 

This is what I found on Abdul Rahim

Lol i had to edit that after I saw he went to maryland.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That occurred to me he might have left right after I posted it

Anyone from the BS staff he will bring with?

Abdul Rahim was CO-DC but went to Maryland 

Vince Oghobaase is BCs Dline coach who coached with Duke, OSU, 49ers, UCLA, and BC.

Sean Duggan is their co-DC/LB coach and also coached at Hawaii, Umass and OSU.

Paul Rhoads is their OLB coach who has coached at a number of Colleges. Was HC at Iowa state for awhile.

I'd look more at the 49ers staff than BC. Jeff Zgonina was the DL coach when he was there, he was with Washington this year so he's probably a FA now.

Daniel Bullock was his assistant DB coach, still just a safety coach so could be promoted to secondary coach or pass game coordinator here.

Tem Lukabu was a quality assistant there, and was with him in BC, now OLB coach in Carolina, could do go for the LBs coach/Run game coordinator title. 

• Like 2

In case anyone's wondering:

My other favourite Anthony Weaver did not land Washington's HC gig and to rub salt into the wounds also did not get the open coordinator spot at Baltimore. If allowed he should get a couple of opportunities as a DC elsewhere namely Seattle and Miami.

Miami is the other loser. All their interested DC candidates has dried up. Shula got the Rams DC gig, Babich went to the Rams, i'm sure Evero was high on their list, perhaps Hafley too. Still some options though....Weaver, Parker, C.Kiffin, Staley.

"Definitely he brings that energy, and he’s super-smart, super-detailed. I think he’s going to do a great job."  

“When we were at Boston College, we definitely were an aggressive defense,” McDuffie said. “We did a lot of pressures, a lot of creative things to try to make the quarterback uncomfortable."

So excited.

Pettine I wasn’t thrilled with because he’d failed as a head coach and was still a 3-4 guy.

Barry I think me and Ray were the only two vocally disappointed while everyone else was cautiously optimistic and didn’t want to admit it was a stupid hire.

This one I am actually excited about.