Week 14 GDT: Titans @ 49ers

Forge

Just now, big9erfan said:

Wait - didn't we cut him?

And re-signed him. And cut him. And re-signed him. And... I don't know anymore. He's that kind of guy who is an unofficial 54th player. He's a free agent, but we know no team is going to sign him, and that we can re-sign him when we need him. I wonder if front offices around the league have an unwritten rule about these players. 

1 minute ago, rudyZ said:

Right now, I feel like a key to our successes is actually not Jimmy, the OL or the running game, or anything like that... it's whether or not Reuben Foster can stay healthy. If he's one the field, we can stop the run. If he isn't, we can't. We need to add to the defense, so that we can be at least decent when he inevitably misses some time again.

Yup, we still have a lot of key areas to address so I'm not ready to get that confident for next season, but the excitement that Jimmy G has greated feels awesome.

3 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

It will certainly be closer than in recent years but I'm really not sure how good we can be next year. 

Completely reasonable to think that Garnett will be an upgrade and that we can sign one really good interior o-line guy and draft one.  That alone, plus of course an entire offseason for the team to learn the system, and we should be a much better offense. Get Trent Brown and Pierre Garcon back from injury and just add a redzone target of some kind and I think  our offense will easily be right up there in the upper part of the entire league.

12 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Jimmy is our free agency ambassador. It makes Lynch's sales pitch that much easier. Let's enjoy this top 10 pick, it might be our last for the next decade.

I'm beginning to think that I'd prefer going after the pass-rusher than the lineman in the draft. I think the team can find an incredibly capable player in the 2nd to fulfill that position and beat out Tomlinson/Kilgore/Fusco and improve upon that position. But, it's clear that even with a line THIS poor, with even Trent Brown out, that Garoppolo will be able to make plays and win games. If we're never going to be this high again in the draft order (and it's looking more and more likely), then let's get a great playmaker while we have the chance. Even a capable line - like average - will be better with Jimmy's quick release. So let's get the playmaker at a skill position or pass-rush/ballhawk while we're up there. 

2 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

And re-signed him. And cut him. And re-signed him. And... I don't know anymore. He's that kind of guy who is an unofficial 54th player. He's a free agent, but we know no team is going to sign him, and that we can re-sign him when we need him. I wonder if front offices around the league have an unwritten rule about these players. 

Ah, I didn't know that.  We used to do that with someone else a couple years ago. Can't remember who.

Just now, big9erfan said:

Completely reasonable to think that Garnett will be an upgrade and that we can sign one really good interior o-line guy and draft one.  That alone, plus of course an entire offseason for the team to learn the system, and we should be a much better offense. Get Trent Brown and Pierre Garcon back from injury and just add a redzone target of some kind and I think  our offense will easily be right up there in the upper part of the entire league.

Oh that's totally possible, I just tend to be quite pessmistic haha.

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I'm beginning to think that I'd prefer going after the pass-rusher than the lineman in the draft. I think the team can find an incredibly capable player in the 2nd to fulfill that position and beat out Tomlinson/Kilgore/Fusco and improve upon that position. But, it's clear that even with a line THIS poor, with even Trent Brown out, that Garoppolo will be able to make plays and win games. If we're never going to be this high again in the draft order (and it's looking more and more likely), then let's get a great playmaker while we have the chance. Even a capable line - like average - will be better with Jimmy's quick release. So let's get the playmaker at a skill position or pass-rush/ballhawk while we're up there. 

Jimmy has taken some really hard hits in just 2 and a half games. It's nice that he's making some incredible play just before he gets hit.  But he's still getting hit. Not sure he can survive an entire season of those kinds of hits.

Archived