Super Bowl: San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

25 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

It's still ridiculous that he assumed that Andy Reid would ever hand the ball back to him and his offense in a sudden death situation. If the Niners scored a TD, the Chiefs were going to go down and if they scored it was a go for 2 situation. We all should have known that. Andy was never going to leave it to his defense against Shanny's strength for the Super Bowl. He was always going to die with Mahomes against the 49ers weakness, the defense. These are the decisions that Kyle fails out repeatedly and I'm so completely tired of it. He coaches not to lose and as a result of it gets in the way. If you took the ball with the logic being the opportunity for first crack in sudden death why would you not look to score the TD over the FG? I get the FG makes the Chiefs have to score, but his logic is so screwed up.

As long as he considered it in the thought process, that's fine. I have no complaints. It's poker matchup. There are some coaches who aren't going to go for 2, and even with Mahomes Reid has a weird tendency sometimes to play it safe, so I don't think its a foregone conclusion. So if he evaluated that and thought, "yeah, they may go for 2, but its still more important to me that we have the ball first in actual sudden death", then I can't hate him for that. It's a preference thing. It's not my preference, but there are a bunch of people out there who really are just fine with the idea. 

I do think that there are other considerations to take into account at that exact time as well such as the defense needing to get off the field that can't just be evaluated in a vacuum. That's situational. 

Now personally? I'm a give me the ball second, guy. I want the information and I want the decision to potentially end the game. That's control that I want. But again, preference thing not backed by empirical data yet. 

Ultimately, I agree with @jonnguy2015 that the flaw is that if you're taking the ball first, it's pedal to the metal get a TD. I had some issues with the sequencing at the end...I think when you're third and 4 at that spot, you should be thinking 4 down territory, even if you ultimately don't go for it on 4th down (play third down as if you'll go for it on 4th, evaluate 4th down after third down has completed). I feel like he had made the decision that they were kicking it when he made that 3rd down playcall. 

• Like 2

Lost some respect for BA today.

I get your miserable & frustrated after a gut-wretching loss.

But EVERYONE is miserable and frustrated!

And none of them & their fam are running to social media to air out their grievances.

It's just lame af and just not where your head should be right now.

So if you only got 3 catches and we won, then what?? Would you still be upset?

Idk...that just really irks me that at the time you're needed to be all about team the most is the time you want to go pointing fingers. 

He's a great talent but it ain't like his skill-set is irreplaceable.

There's alot of other WRs that could do similar in this offense if given the opportunity.

Be careful what you wish for...

19 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Lost some respect for BA today.

I get your miserable & frustrated after a gut-wretching loss.

But EVERYONE is miserable and frustrated!

And none of them & their fam are running to social media to air out their grievances.

It's just lame af and just not where your head should be right now.

So if you only got 3 catches and we won, then what?? Would you still be upset?

Idk...that just really irks me that at the time you're needed to be all about team the most is the time you want to go pointing fingers. 

He's a great talent but it ain't like his skill-set is irreplaceable.

There's alot of other WRs that could do similar in this offense if given the opportunity.

Be careful what you wish for...

Honestly, unless he says something about it I wouldn't put any stock into what the family says. They don't know what the coaches and his teammates mean to him (assuming he cares about that) and they just want the bag asap.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Forge said:

This one looks brutal. Couldn't give a crap if juice knows the rules. The coach not knowing the rules would be unforgivable because how can you make accurate decisions? After the game he also said talked about getting the ball first in actual sudden death, but he may have been referring to each team kicking a field goal. 

This clip on its own is pretty damning because I don't know what else he could be talking about when he adds "in the end", but I also don't know if he's intending it like the way it's being portrayed. 

Bottom line: if shanny didn't know, brutal and unforgivable. 

If shanny did know, than I just don't care about the juice stuff, or mahomes saying they would have went for 2, etc. Shanny and co decided on a strategy. I don't necessarily agree with it (I always want the ball second in overtime, though I admit there are reasons you could take the ball first such as to give your defense a rest)

The only explanation would be if he is talking about the end of the 4th. If not its a bad look.

37 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

The only explanation would be if he is talking about the end of the 4th. If not its a bad look.

Yep. And we will never know what it is, which is fine. 

Its really bad one way, completely inconsequential the other. That's between him and the team.