The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya and you didn't even mention Percy Butler. He definitely has struggled but at least he's shown he's athletic enough to get to the right spot. Safety is probably one of the positions we're deepest at.

I did in the original post, but yeah, once I was reminded about Martin, that sort of shuffled Butler down into the #4 spot at best. Pretty decent player for that role, no doubt.

22 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I’d absolutely run it back with EB before going to Chip Kelly

I honestly agree with that.  Chip Kelly would be an awful choice.  His offense hasn’t changed at all at UCLA, and I can’t see it succeeded again in the NFL. 

• Like 1

It seems like Chip Kelly is the only available OC that can be hired. Don't know if this makes good social media info or is this really a legitimate possibility. 
You hear faintly in the background Klint Kubiak as a connection through Kyle. 
If Chip is the OC, J. Daniels is definitely in play. 

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

https://x.com/Scott7news/status/1753201424660328638?s=20

I will say this, for as much as I didn’t want this hire seeing a coach that actually wanted this job from the get-go makes me happy in a way. It’s going to take me a while to warm up to this one and I’m not sure I ever will but he wanted to be here. I’ll take that. 

If he nails the #2 pick then he will put a smile on your all of our faces conversely if he miss fires on the #2 pick he will not last long here. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

College coaches are sick of the NIL

This. Until some sort of sanity prevails in college football and they get a new governing body that will probably enact some sort of CBA with revenue sharing, you're going to see quite a few coaches (mostly P5) that will ditch the college ranks for NFL coaching jobs (even as assistant/position coaches).

I dunno if anyone saw Garafalo out on the Seattle pod but he was saying that it sounds like some of these rumors about Ben were possibly true. He was Peters target (known) but was not interviewing well and fell out of favor with the rest of the guys (Magic, Myers, etc). Ben withdrew when he saw the writing on the wall. We then pivoted to Macdonald but it was too late. Seattle had all but locked him up. 

we had blinders on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I dunno if anyone saw Garafalo out on the Seattle pod but he was saying that it sounds like some of these rumors about Ben were possibly true. He was Peters target (known) but was not interviewing well and fell out of favor with the rest of the guys (Magic, Myers, etc). Ben withdrew when he saw the writing on the wall. We then pivoted to Macdonald but it was too late. Seattle had all but locked him up. 

we had blinders on.

So we pivoted away from one of the bright young minds in football because of his interview? Man that is disappointing to read. Some people just don’t interview well. 

31 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So we pivoted away from one of the bright young minds in football because of his interview? Man that is disappointing to read. Some people just don’t interview well. 

I also think it was personality-related. They were clearly looking for strong leaders first and foremost. They said it about ten times in Peters’ press conference. Ben Johnson was an unknown on that front, so his interview would have been one of the best ways to gain insight into his leadership capabilities and vision. 

If he didn’t do well, I could see why some would be hesitant to tie a first time GM and rookie QB to an inexperienced coach whose leadership ability was a major question mark. 

It’s more concerning to me that there are so many voices in the room. An early warning sign that we’re not letting Peters take complete ownership of the major decisions moving forward. I don’t like it. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It's not the end all be all, but sometimes it does help. The guy might just be a great OC. It happens. He could end up a great head coach as well, but we won't know for a little while now.

• Like 3