The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Witt is going to call the defense, not Quinn. That was a little surprising. 

Honestly, I liked a lot of what I heard in the press conference. I loved the relationship that it sounds like Adam and Dan have. I loved the fire and energy that Dan had. I laughed everytime Dan swore that Josh Harris let a grin creep onto his face. I think there was some sidestepping on the QB subject. I appreciated that Joe Witt isn't just a DC in name, he will be in charge of the defense. I hope Kliff gets a world class O-Line coach because that will make or break his offense. 

But talking in front of a bunch of press is different that getting results. I hope these guys do what they say they are going to do and build an "explosive and physical" team. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Well if you believe what they say (i don't) that their number one priority is to have leader of man HC, then it makes sense.  Then you want a head coach that oversees everything, not that calls plays.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

Well if you believe what they say (i don't) that their number one priority is to have leader of man HC, then it makes sense.  Then you want a head coach that oversees everything, not that calls plays.

I strongly suspect that “not calling the defense” is one of the things that featured heavily in the “deep dive” into the issues during his first tenure. 

The guy has literally always fielded a great defense, except for the later period in ATL, when things fell apart. I think the take-away was probably that he can be involved in defensive game-planning, but someone else has to take the lead in actually implementing it, so that he can primarily focus on HC stuff.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Thank God.  Unless you already have a proven process, this normally doesn’t work and is a recipe for disaster.  Andy Reid is one of the few long-term exceptions.  McVay might be there too, and if you look at his coaching tree and the amount of head coaches that have come from under him, he clearly understands how to delegate.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Honestly, I liked a lot of what I heard in the press conference. I loved the relationship that it sounds like Adam and Dan have. I loved the fire and energy that Dan had. I laughed everytime Dan swore that Josh Harris let a grin creep onto his face. I think there was some sidestepping on the QB subject. I appreciated that Joe Witt isn't just a DC in name, he will be in charge of the defense. I hope Kliff gets a world class O-Line coach because that will make or break his offense. 

But talking in front of a bunch of press is different that getting results. I hope these guys do what they say they are going to do and build an "explosive and physical" team. 

Like you said in a previous post, I am cautiously optimistic.  This is a new era in more ways than one, and I am hopeful we can continue to move on from the stink of Snyder over the next year.  The next timeframe we’re looking at is after the draft and how Peters shakes up the front office.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I was just coming in to post this. It’s amazing what Kyle had to say about Quinn & Peters. I’m sure the guys at 106.7 the Fan like JP & Grant & Kevin Sheehan, Chris Russell & Craig Hoffman on 980 are slurping this up on the air!

😂