Lions OC Ben Johnson staying in Detroit

RaidersAreOne

Well I thought he would have accepted the Commanders or Seahawks opening, I feel like those are two good situations for a new coach to come in. Might not be a better choice next year. 
Good news for the Lions though 

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Josh McDaniels pulled out of a job after the team’s website announced his hiring. He STILL got hired a few years later. I mean come on lol.

”We need a coach! But this Johnson guy inconvenienced the Commanders brass last year, so he’s out.”

• Like 7

1 minute ago, nagahide13 said:

Harbaugh still getting love even after dipping his toes into the coaching search every year since getting fired in SF but we think teams get cold feet on these guys?

I mean, I can think of Kellen Moore, Eric Bieniemy, Byron Leftwhich, Darrell Bevell, Joe Brady. Harbaugh has had a good run. It's when you don't that things change quickly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't disagree but he didn't have to take the Washington job. It just doesn't make sense to me to pass on offers 2 years in a row. These offers won't be there forever. 

They absolutely will.

My point is that I don't think you're going to see one as attractive as the Washington opening for a little while though. That doesn't come around every year.

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

I mean, I can think of Kellen Moore, Eric Bieniemy, Byron Leftwhich, Darrell Bevell, Joe Brady. Harbaugh has had a good run. It's when you don't that things change quickly. 

I'm not sure that I understand. Are you saying these guys passed on HC jobs and got (a little) blackballed?

I'm not sure that I understand. Are you saying these guys passed on HC jobs and got (a little) blackballed?

Not blackballed. Just they were hot names, but never took or got jobs, had a decline, and you never hear about them as coaches again at the moment. Could change again.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Do you see the bums who get hired as head coaches every year? Johnson’s stock won’t fall off a cliff unless his job performance falls off a cliff. It’s in his own hands. He’s 37.

Also, he's in a good situation in Detroit. There's no reason to think that his performance will drop off 

• Like 1

I think he's getting more at coordinators needing to jump on opportunities for HC gigs while the iron is hot. Those guys at one point in time were all considered hot up and comers who now have mostly faded without getting that coveted HC role.

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

JP trashes the team constantly. He doesn't care about "cope". 

The idea the Ben Johnson is going to lose out on future interviews and opportunities because he turned down the Commanders this year is cope. He is right. He is going to be a hot name next offseason again.

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Not blackballed. Just they were hot names, but never took or got jobs, had a decline, and you never hear about them as coaches again at the moment. Could change again.

Don't think any of those guys ever actually declined to take a job though. Pretty different circumstances. Ben would have likely been hired last offseason if he wanted to take a job then.