Which HC hire are you most and least impressed by?

notthatbluestuff

17 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Jesus. 

So Dan Quinn inherits a team that went 4-12 and 6-10 the years before he arrived. Dan Campbell inherits a team that went 3-12-1 and 5-11 the years before he got there.  

Yet Campbell had it so much worse. Got it. 

You could have just stopped at having the same first name to get that depth of analysis. 

Just now, Jameson_Neat said:

You could have just stopped at having the same first name to get that depth of analysis. 

Yep, record is far from relevant. 

I guess the fact that one of these coaches took his team to the SB in his 2nd year is irrelevant as well, right?

16 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yep, record is far from relevant. 

I guess the fact that one of these coaches took his team to the SB in his 2nd year is irrelevant as well, right?

Unfortunately, Quinn isn't likely to bring the next Shanahan along to oversee the QB's MVP campaign anytime soon.

7 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Unfortunately, Quinn isn't likely to bring the next Shanahan along to oversee the QB's MVP campaign anytime soon.

You say this as if he didn’t get to the Divisional Round the very next year without Shanahan. As if he didn’t lose by 5 to the eventual SB champions… and as if he wasn’t a 4th and goal conversion (at the 2yd line) away from winning the game.

And lol at the revisionist history on Shanahan. Quinn deciding to hire him wasn’t the slam dunk no brainer most now act like it was. Shanny was coming off up-and-down stints in Houston, Washington and Cleveland. It was a risk to hire him and let him bring all his “boys” with him on staff. And it was a risk that paid off, yet Quinn receives no credit for the hire of course. 

But somehow Campbell receives credit for Ben Johnson 🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Tony Dungy

This is a great one.. but he didn’t get it done in Tampa, a loud mouth did with the same roster… Sapp spoke about how Tony put insane pressure on the D, but never once held the offense accountable. They resented Tony for that. 

28 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

But somehow Campbell receives credit for Ben Johnson 

One had prior experience in the role with uneven results. His dad also had success in the industry and the name carries weight. 

The other was a no-name with no previous experience in the role but promoted into that front-facing role despite allegedly having poor social skills. 

Samesies. 

On 2/1/2024 at 1:58 PM, Forge said:

Yeah, but that's not just on Harbs. Trent Baalke, who has had a history of spotty relationships in the past as well...definitely responsible for some of the mess the 49ers found themselves in post 2014

That was definitely a situation where two guys made that substantially more of a disaster than if it were just one them being hard to deal with. 

Also, I'd argue that the wave of retirements and whatnot really crippled the team just from a talent perspective which exacerbated the fallout 

Yeah, there is no Trent Baalke here in LA. Jim is fully in charge and will get to run his program as he see fits. There will be no power struggle between him and Joe Hortiz.  Hortiz is here to pick to personnel, but Harbaugh is the guy. The set up is closer to what KC has under Andy Reid and SF has under Shanahan. I am a Chargers fan, so I am biased. But I don't see how this ends up as a straight up flop. They may not win a championship in the Harbaugh era, but could they return to being relevant and consistently good as they were under Marty/early Norv? I think so and IMO that would make it a successful hire. 

20 minutes ago, Jameson_Neat said:

One had prior experience in the role with uneven results. His dad also had success in the industry and the name carries weight. 

The other was a no-name with no previous experience in the role but promoted into that front-facing role despite allegedly having poor social skills. 

Samesies. 

Lmao. Can’t dispute that flawless logic. 

Chargers ownership has a reputation for being cheap and choosing the path of least resistance and so this seems like a match made in heaven that both sides defaulted t

lol, that doesn't make sense. if they wanted to be cheap, they would have hired one of these young coordinators. This isn't a path of least resistance, the Spanos are basically turning their team over to Harbaugh. Marty didn't even get that kind of sway. 

I think in 5 years they will be considered thusly:

Home Run (multiple deep playoff runs):

Los Angeles Chargers - Jim Harbaugh
Atlanta Falcons - Raheem Morris

Washington Commanders - Dan Quinn

Solid Hire (always competing for a playoff spot):

Seattle Seahawks - Mike Macdonald
Tennessee Titans - Brian Callahan

Still there but on the hot seat:
Las Vegas Raiders - Antonio Pierce

Already fired:

Carolina Panthers - Dave Canales